xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Problems  (Read 64 times)

zirjacks

• Archived User
Video Problems
« on: August 19, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »

Today when I started up my xbox 360 the video was very bad. Looked like rolling, pulsing lines moving up the screen. Also the tv makes a pulsing noise when the video cables are plugged into the tv. I have tried two different tv's both with the same results. I have also tried both the HD and standard cables, again both with the same results. Games still work fine, just the video looks bad with the rolling, pulsing lines.
Here is a video that you can kinda see the problem.
video here
Any ideas? Is my 360 fried?
Edit: the vid doesnt show it to good through youtube, I will try to get a better pic or vid later.

This post has been edited by zirjacks: Aug 20 2006, 02:52 AM

CattyKid

• Archived User
Video Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »

Hmm... not good.  I assume it worked before?  Have you tried the 360 after it was cool?

I'd say a call to MS is in order after making sure that all your cables are plugged in firmly and your video settings are correct, both the HDTV/TV switch on the videocable and the HD settings in the 360 dash.

bigbubba7373

• Archived User
Video Problems
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:31:00 AM »

could be possible overheating of the gpu or memory check look for the hot air gun fix and arctic silver 5

This post has been edited by bigbubba7373: Aug 20 2006, 08:32 AM

zirjacks

• Archived User
Video Problems
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »

Yeah, I double checked all connections and settings. The problem occurs straight away from a cold start. Guess I will have to try the heat gun fix as the console is out of the warranty period.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
Video Problems
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:25:00 PM »

I've heard of the video encoder chip dying, looks to me like that's whats happening.

These can be replaced (they are not married to any other component on the mobo), but it requires some pretty good soldering skills and a replacement chip