xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has Anyone Had To Use The Heatgun More Than Once?  (Read 219 times)

cr4ck3rj4ck

• Archived User
Has Anyone Had To Use The Heatgun More Than Once?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 06:59:00 AM »

150C is the standard for most ICs that are not automotive or commercial spec. Which the 360's components are none of these wink.gif.

ewok666

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(rsintx @ Aug 21 2006, 09:34 PM) View Post

I use a heat gun daily to pull chips, and 400f is roughly when the sloder melts and the chip can be removed.  also if you know where to look you can find a faq's sheet on everything on the 360 board and it inlcudes specs and manufacturer of each component.  If you dont have any data to add or you dont know the answer to a posted question dont reply.  Thanks

It all depends on the die temperature as far as the chips are concerned. So as long as it's not heated up too long you should be fine. Worst case you might melt some plastic on connectors, capacitors or the packaging on the chips ;-)

Have you tried without re-assembling the 360 after using the heatgun?

Cheers

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(rsintx @ Aug 21 2006, 04:34 PM) View Post

If you dont have any data to add or you dont know the answer to a posted question dont reply.  Thanks

Okay I'll take that into careful consideration.   rolleyes.gif

rstx

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(ewok666 @ Aug 22 2006, 12:19 AM) View Post

It all depends on the die temperature as far as the chips are concerned. So as long as it's not heated up too long you should be fine. Worst case you might melt some plastic on connectors, capacitors or the packaging on the chips ;-)

Have you tried without re-assembling the 360 after using the heatgun?

Cheers

Yes, I always test the unit out of the case b4 its reasembled.  It would be a wast of time if you put it all back together b4 U tested it and it failed.

ewok666

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 02:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(rstx @ Aug 22 2006, 05:32 PM) View Post

Yes, I always test the unit out of the case b4 its reasembled.  It would be a wast of time if you put it all back together b4 U tested it and it failed.

This POS died again. I had no screws in the thing. It was just sitting in the case. All was good for four days and today it crashed after about 15 minutes, then doesn't boot and now it's just had the heat gun and is cooling down. I did the back side (the ram) and will do the from side as well in around 15 mins. I'll leave it outside the case completely next time and I'm also heating it up more than before....after all what do I have to lose.

I'm considering buying a new one but does anyone have stats on these failures ? I'd hate to get another one that has the same problem in a while.

Cheers

ewok666

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(ewok666 @ Aug 23 2006, 09:35 AM) View Post

.....will do the from side as well in around 15 mins. I'll leave it outside the case completely next time and I'm also heating it up more than before....after all what do I have to lose.

Cheers

Ah well, a capacitor exploded and moved the RAM chip next to it slightly....not sure what I'm going to do with the thing but I'd say it's bricked.

Does anyone know whether the ram chip can be reheated and moved back into position or wouold it need a complete replacement?

Thanks

rsintx

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(ewok666 @ Aug 23 2006, 04:02 AM) View Post

Ah well, a capacitor exploded and moved the RAM chip next to it slightly....not sure what I'm going to do with the thing but I'd say it's bricked.

Does anyone know whether the ram chip can be reheated and moved back into position or wouold it need a complete replacement?

Thanks

I’m guessing its going to be just about impossible to replace the ram by hand even if ya had the proper tools.  It looks like all of the components were dropped on the board and soldered by a machine.

ewok666

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(rsintx @ Aug 23 2006, 11:38 PM) View Post

I’m guessing its going to be just about impossible to replace the ram by hand even if ya had the proper tools.  It looks like all of the components were dropped on the board and soldered by a machine.

Thanks, I was getting sick and tired of using the Heatgun anyway.....I'll buy a new one today.

Cheers

elbombillo2

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »

Make it 11 times. This is not real fix. Can anyone provide some extra tips?
Like type of gun, amount of time used, what you did to cool it, how long did you wait to play, or maybe some other instructions.
ps i know there is a video online and i followed all the instructions.

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

I don't think you'll ever get an accurate failure rates from anyone. Not from MS and defiantely not from here. I'm only on my 2nd one b/c the first update messed the first one up. But my 2nd has been running great. A bud of mine has his first since launch nd his has been good as well. I'd rather not attept to fix it if something went wrong, I'd rather have the stores warranty.

elbombillo2

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(jnglst1 @ Aug 30 2006, 03:09 AM) View Post

I used heat gun 3x times on mine for error 0102.  Each time worked for several hours then back to freezing, I gave up and bought a new MOBO havent had any issues since.

Yeah Now it's really dead. No matter how much i used the heat gun or leave it on with the red lights  it doesn't even attempt to boot. RIP 360.... sad.gif WTF is wrong with MS and their low quality products.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 08:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(rsintx @ Aug 21 2006, 09:34 PM) View Post

I use a heat gun daily to pull chips, and 400f is roughly when the sloder melts and the chip can be removed.  also if you know where to look you can find a faq's sheet on everything on the 360 board and it inlcudes specs and manufacturer of each component.  If you dont have any data to add or you dont know the answer to a posted question dont reply.  Thanks

I have some data to add.
Don't spout crap about using a heatgun on a piece of electronic equipment like its some kind of technical method, cause its a bodge and its dangerous to say the least.
When you start reflowing chips using correct equipment then start spouting about temperatures and technical stuff

rsintx

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 03:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Aug 30 2006, 09:48 AM) View Post

I have some data to add.
Don't spout crap about using a heatgun on a piece of electronic equipment like its some kind of technical method, cause its a bodge and its dangerous to say the least.
When you start reflowing chips using correct equipment then start spouting about temperatures and technical stuff

“Spouting” Ok.  I was just replying the the smart guy talking about putting the MB in an oven, and the fact that if someone posts a specific question and you don’t know the answer or have something constructive to add then don’t reply.  AS far as technical goes the question in the original post was talking about using a heat gun not using a rework station to reflow bga’s.  If I wanted to talk about something technical it would be working on a DMAT, DMOS-6, EBT, or a Kilby fab.
Pages: 1 [2]