xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Problems Might Be Due To Manufacturing Issues  (Read 1270 times)

Smoove 360

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Problems Might Be Due To Manufacturing Issues
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »

I had my 360 die on me today; 3 red rings and all. The best I was getting was a logo followed by a freeze up at the dashboard. Forget about playing games or video. The secondary error codes were showing 0102 and I wasn't crazy about putting a heat gun to my $400 console.

A number of months out of warranty and with nothing to lose, I opened up my console to see if anything was obviously loose or out of place (and to provide the best airflow I could get). I spent a good portion of the day searching forums and trying everything I could think of to get the console working short of mods or resorting to a heat gun, but I was having no luck. I was prepared to buy a heat gun and see if I had any luck, when I ran into a post talking about using artic silver on the heatsinks, and especially to make sure the heatsink screws were tightened securely.

I figured what the hey, and I tightened the 8 screws on the heatsinks roughly 3/4 turn until they seemed secure. Amazingly, the console booted, went to the dashboard and successfully launched a game (first time all day).  Even better, it didn't freeze when I was playing. I shut the console down, and turned it back on to see if I was just lucky the first time. It booted again (another record for the day). I played another game, and again no freezing or errors. I put the case back on, turned it on, and again everything worked fine. I've successfully booted and played games 5 times in a row today with no problems, when I haven't been able to even boot twice in a row all day.

My theory is that the screws on the heatsinks are apt to slowly loosen as the temperature in the case changes. Eventually they become loose enough that it causes errors. I'll further speculate that some of the success of both the heat gun and artic silver fixes might simply be that in the process of removing and reattaching the heatsinks, they become properly tightened again.

In short, before you try anything drastic, you might want to check and make sure the heatsink screws are secure. Hope this helps someone.

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 03:40:00 AM »

Its a bitch how sometimes the most simple and obious answers are best  cool.gif  Hope your 360 STAYS fixed

elbombillo2

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

I got nothing to loose I will Try it today. I'm sick and tired of having to put a heat gun and have my wife think im going crazy.

Smoove 360

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

A quick update... my console was working fine this morning, until it eventually locked up when playing a game. Still wasn't having any red lights thankfully, so I figured I'd try to tighten the screws just a tiny bit more. Sadly, I tightened one just a bit too much and the head broke off the screw. The majority of the screw seems to still be in place, fortunately. Anyway, I should stress you're just making sure the screws are securely tightened, not trying to screw them so tight they break (like I did by accident). Hopefully I can work around my mistake.

On a side note, the heatsink screws need a t-9 torx (or star) screwdriver, while other console screws are t-10. Sadly, t-9 screws are just a bit small and hence easy enough to break.

viper740i

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

three flashing  red lights.............i just poped my joystick wire in and my xbox 360 came to life after 1 month of three red flashing lights   ...........so try your joystick  use the wire to connect to the system

Smoove 360

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(viper740i @ Aug 27 2006, 06:49 PM) View Post

three flashing  red lights.............i just poped my joystick wire in and my xbox 360 came to life after 1 month of three red flashing lights   ...........so try your joystick  use the wire to connect to the system

You mean use a wired controller instead of a wireless one? Is that what you mean by joystick wire? I tried that and didn't have much luck (froze before even reaching dashboard).

On a side note, my 360 is back to being a worthless piece of metal & plastic. I'd love to know what MS really knows about the situation... as in what they are doing to repair the consoles returned to them.

faceless041974

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »

Yeah sorry but I have a feeling that everyone at some time is going to get the three red lights.  Mine worked fine for the last 9 months and now poof I have the three red light problem.  MS isnt much of a help either.  Ive contacted them a few times and still dont know where to send my console to get it fixed.  Right now Im thinking of trying the heat gun fix even though  Im kinda afraid to do it.  But I figure since its not working now whats the worse that can happen?  If it still doesnt work afterwards I have to send it in if it does work then Ill be saving myself a ton of aggrevation from dealing with MS.  Not to mention saving the cash it will cost to fix it.  For awhile I was wondering why everyone was badmouthing MS and the 360 now I know.  Its a great system but they shouldnt have rushed it out.  Especially with only a 90 day warranty.

stewartElectronics

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 02:36:00 PM »

Regarding error 0102  while repairing a 360 that had this issue i found that the video connector had several cold solder joints that caused this problem. I resoldered the video connector and it repaired this problem

BS

keyindabox

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »

I've had my 360 for around 9 months and I got the problem today.  I was playing Halo 2 and it just messed up on me, so I turned it off and turned it back on, and it froze while the logo was coming up.  I tried it again and eventually the red lights started flashing.  I thought it was 4 at first, but now after many attempts of trying to fix the problem I have noticed it is 3 red lights flashing.  I tried the solutions they have on the main site, none of them worked.  I did call the 360 help line but my serial code on the back of the 360 is scratched a bit, so I cant even read it correctly.  I dont know what I should do.  By the way it sounds MS isn't any help, and Im not sure if I still have or even had a warranty...gonna have to ask my dad that.  And Im not too partial to trying the heat gun solution.  This sucks, and I cant go to sleep knowing my 360 is messed up and might take a long time to fix.

snowblind99

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(keyindabox @ Aug 30 2006, 12:35 AM) View Post

By the way it sounds MS isn't any help, and Im not sure if I still have or even had a warranty...gonna have to ask my dad that.  

The standard Xbox 360 warranty is 90 days.  If you are out of that time frame they will charge you to fix it.  My 360 which I got at launch, recently came down with the dreaded three red lights.  I called MS last night and asked for repair, they quoted me the usual $140 or so to fix it.  However I live in MA.  Our state like others has the Implied Warranty of Merchantability. (Mass. Gen. Law Chapter 106
Sections 2-314, 2-316A) This means that when you buy something it should work as stated for a reasonable amount of time.  9 mos for a $400 console is not reasonable.  I got them to fix it for free at no cost ot me.  Now they tell me it can take up to a month for the process, I told them that was unacceptable.  I asked them to expidite it, they refused.  Well MA also has a Consumer regulation (940 CMR 6.12) which states that if a product is defective the customer can choose a repair, replacement or a refund and that your remedy cannot be limited by the retailer or the manufacturer. In otherwords if they don't play nice and expidite it I will demand a new console.  I have yet to get an answer on that one but will update when I get one.

So any of you that have this issue and live in MA you can get it fixed for free.  If you don't live in MA check and see if your state has these regulations and present them to MS, they will have no choice but the fix it for nothing.  I am not an attorney, just a frustrated consumer who is sick of beta testing products and having to pay them to do it.

Good luck to all of you.

snowblind99

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(snowblind99 @ Aug 31 2006, 08:17 AM) *

So any of you that have this issue and live in MA you can get it fixed for free.  If you don't live in MA check and see if your state has these regulations and present them to MS, they will have no choice but the fix it for nothing.

After doing some checking several states, including Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Vermont, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia do not allow the express warranty to limit your rights under their express warranty statutes.  BTW in some states the limit for an implied warranty is four years.  So by state law any product you buy that would normally last that long is covered without the purchase of an extended warranty.

This post has been edited by snowblind99: Aug 31 2006, 03:39 PM

ewok666

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(stewartElectronics @ Aug 29 2006, 09:07 PM) View Post

Regarding error 0102  while repairing a 360 that had this issue i found that the video connector had several cold solder joints that caused this problem. I resoldered the video connector and it repaired this problem
BS

Has anyone else tried this fix?

troublemaker400

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »

Just wanted to add in that I fixed my friend's 0102 xbox with the heat gun trick.  I didn't think it would work and we we're basically just doing it as a last resort before buying another 360, but it worked great.

biggrin.gif

phil44

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 05:43:00 PM »

Fixed the 3 red lights with the heatgun trick around 3 weeks ago, thought all was ok but it started to freeze again at the weekend.

Got the heatgun out again and it did fix it but only for a couple of days, this fix isnt permanent and I am well hacked off that my 8 month old 300 pound machine is broke.

Going to have to buy a new machine and hope for the best as this one has been flashed so no return.

Very very very angry .

Baseballsbest

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(phil44 @ Sep 5 2006, 07:14 PM) *

Fixed the 3 red lights with the heatgun trick around 3 weeks ago, thought all was ok but it started to freeze again at the weekend.

Got the heatgun out again and it did fix it but only for a couple of days, this fix isnt permanent and I am well hacked off that my 8 month old 300 pound machine is broke.

Going to have to buy a new machine and hope for the best as this one has been flashed so no return.

Very very very angry .

Hey, I've found that after you've completed the hot air fix, it's best to run the console on it's LEFT SIDE only. The reason for this is because many consoles work well for a long period of time before recieving code 0102. Over time, the solder begins to feel the effects of the terrible cooling system and eventually looses connection. By turning the console on it's left side, you ensure that gravity will only pull the chips deeper into the solder instead of severing the connection. It wouldn't hurt to grab a NIkko intercooler after the fix to help prevent a reoccurence.

Keep in mind that WE shouldn't have to go through all this crap. We should have a reliable product for the money we paid. I was upset at first, but then realized that this was the only way I could prevent Microsoft from getting MORE of my money. Big ups to TMF for taking the initiative to find a DIY solution.

-James

This post has been edited by Baseballsbest: Sep 6 2006, 04:58 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14