xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3 Blinking Red Lights; Has Anyone Fixed Error 0020  (Read 64 times)

jpcapone

• Archived User
3 Blinking Red Lights; Has Anyone Fixed Error 0020
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

i have tried putting arctic silver on the cpu/gpu and such with no results.  still getting error.  has anyone recovered from this error?  the heat gun approach seems to work for other error codes.  any suggestions?

Farbrorn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(jpcapone @ Jul 31 2006, 11:50 PM) View Post

i have tried putting arctic silver on the cpu/gpu and such with no results.  still getting error.  has anyone recovered from this error?  the heat gun approach seems to work for other error codes.  any suggestions?

Well, 0022 seems to be "GPU error/overheat". I would try the hot air approach there, seems many of the problems with 360s accurs around the GPU and memory. Mine had overheating problems before it died completly and giving me the 0102 error. Its worth a try if your xbox don't have any warranty left.
Whats the worst thing that could happend if its already broke? ;D

I also got the "0002" error once, but that was because I screwed up and accidentially broke of a little surface mounted resistor, that sucked. But I managed to find it and measure its value and replace it with a large standard one and solder wires to the motherboard instead. Looks kinda third world country, but it fixed my problem.

Guess there isn't any PCB-board schematics out there yet? Or I don't really assume there will ever be one. Don't think MS will ever be letting that go easily.

jpcapone

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

ya you are definitely right about trying that because i dont have anything to lose.  ill try and get my hands on one and see if it works.  any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated till then......

jpcapone

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »

for anyone following this thread, i am getting a heat gun today and i will be performing that process tonite to see if it revives my 360.  i will report back with my results later tonight.

jpcapone

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »

just reporting back, the heat gun technique did bring my system back from the 0020 error.  i have not played extensively yet and when i do i will report back with how it went....

jpcapone

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »

ok now after extensive play (not really) the system freezes and give me the two left red lights error.  looked it up and it means its overheating.  i put a fan beside it so that it would blow directly on the system and that helps it last for maybe 5 extra minutes.  obviously i am not going to press the issue here as it may lead to a total chip burn out but any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Farbrorn

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(jpcapone @ Aug 3 2006, 02:51 AM) View Post

ok now after extensive play (not really) the system freezes and give me the two left red lights error.  looked it up and it means its overheating.  i put a fan beside it so that it would blow directly on the system and that helps it last for maybe 5 extra minutes.  obviously i am not going to press the issue here as it may lead to a total chip burn out but any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Are you sure that you applied the right amount of thermal paste, and had the surfaces on both the heatsink and GPU cleaned right? If you are sure thats not the problem, try doing the hotair rework one more time. Perhaps you didn't quite really get it as hot as it should have gotten. And, when doing it. Be VERY careful not to move the motherboard anywhere while heating it up, and when it cools down. I had those overheating problems too, but it went away with the 0102 error code when I did the warmup of the board.

jpcapone

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

ok i have to get more arctic silver and try that then i will do both the rework and the thermal paste thing.  thanks for the info.

belke

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

hmm i really dont want the 3 red lights to happen to my 360  wink.gif  what precautions would u recommend to avoid this it sounds like the 360 has a lot of heating problems so im thinking on getting 2 extra fans any ideas on airflow?

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(belke @ Aug 3 2006, 10:48 PM) View Post

hmm i really dont want the 3 red lights to happen to my 360  wink.gif  what precautions would u recommend to avoid this it sounds like the 360 has a lot of heating problems so im thinking on getting 2 extra fans any ideas on airflow?

it sounds that way but think about it, of course everyone is going to post to try find a way to fix their 360, your not going to get a bunch of posts saying "Help, my console works flawlessley". The ratio of broken to working consoles is average for distrubution of this size. I belive the % of broken consoles is around 3%?

In any case if you are concerned about you working console overheating the you can up the speed of the fans to 12v, and you can even install a speed switch.

Some people install a 60mm slimline  fan on the front of the heatsink blowing air through it.

You can also apply a better thermal compund to the heatsinks should you so desire, something like AS5 or ceramique

All or some of these mods will help to keep your xbox cooler.

bigbubba7373

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »

hello guys i got a xbox 360 system in 4 days ago from a customer it had the 0020 error but most of the time the error was 0102.now the customer had done the arctic silver 5 upgrade and it worked for 2 weeks but started doing it again to him. well i took it apart cleaned everything up did the heat gun rework and redid the arctic silver 5 and i have been playing this system for 4 days with no problems boots every time and plays games for hours with no problems.so i can say if you take your time and do the heat gun rework and arctic silver 5 right, this should fix most xbox 360s that have 0020 or 0102 errors i will have another system comeing next week with the same problems so i will report back on that system and let everybody know how it turns out.

jpcapone

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »

just to update, i had to do the heat gun rework once more.  i havent been able to scrap up the cash to get more arctic silver (i am unemployed at the moment) but i will re do the heat sinks when i can.  where can you get better fans to cool the xbox from?  i know for a fact that cooling is an issue because i have to keep the top off of my 360 and keep a room fan blowing on it on high for it not to over heat.  this is working very well but i would obviously like to close it back up.  i am not sure that just using arctic silver on the heat sinks will do the trick.  let me know???

bigbubba7373

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 08:49:00 PM »

one you clean everything up and put new arctic silver on it should be fine

Farbrorn

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(jpcapone @ Aug 4 2006, 09:25 PM) View Post

just to update, i had to do the heat gun rework once more.  i havent been able to scrap up the cash to get more arctic silver (i am unemployed at the moment) but i will re do the heat sinks when i can.  where can you get better fans to cool the xbox from?  i know for a fact that cooling is an issue because i have to keep the top off of my 360 and keep a room fan blowing on it on high for it not to over heat.  this is working very well but i would obviously like to close it back up.  i am not sure that just using arctic silver on the heat sinks will do the trick.  let me know???

Hm, how much of the artic silver did you apply, really? you should have only applied VERY little to the surface of the GPU, too much and you will overheat. Thermal paste has the opposite effect if too much.

Can't really see how you managed to "waste" a whole bottle of thermal paste on one surface tongue.gif
I don't even use artic silver, I use another compound I get cheaply from work, but it seems to work as well.

Tip for applying, clean the surfaces (I personally use some alcohol (same shit woman use to remove nailpolish)). Get them really clean, don't use force if you slip and take something with you.
Both GPU and heatsink, I don't apply any paste on the memory since I can't see the point. They just don't get hot. Maybe other sorts of memory get hotter, but I don't really know. I've got Samsung-memory in both of my 360s. Also got Samsung-drives, lucky me smile.gif

Apply just LITTLE on the GPU surfaces, on both "cores". Use an old creditcard or something to even it out, as thin as possible without "breaking the surface". Clean up the waste that goes over the edges. Thats even more important if you use a electrically conductable thermal paste. And I guess that the arctic silver does that, because it contains Ag (silver).

Well, good luck!

Reassamble, and that should not be a problem anymore.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(Farbrorn @ Aug 5 2006, 03:04 PM) View Post

Tip for applying, clean the surfaces (I personally use some alcohol (same shit woman use to remove nailpolish)).

thats not really the best for cleaning them, it will leave slight chemical contaminants that will lower the performance of the thermal paste. You should really use something like isopropanol, or rubbing alcohol at a push. Something with an ethanol concentration of about 96% will be the best.