xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3 Red Lights - Six O'clock To Three O'clock  (Read 126 times)

Kypreos

• Archived User
3 Red Lights - Six O'clock To Three O'clock
« on: June 22, 2006, 09:31:00 PM »

Hi All,

I've been looking around the forums and haven't been able to find anything on my specific problem.

I've got an Xbox 360 and I have the 3 lights of death, but the 3 quadrants that are flashing are from Six o'clock to Three o'clock.

I've read the guide on the xbox 360 error codes and I seem to be getting 4142. I can't seem to find any fixes for this.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Kypreos: Jun 23 2006, 04:41 AM

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

read the pinned threads, 3 red lights has been discussed many times

This post has been edited by G0t M4xx 21: Jun 23 2006, 04:40 AM

Kypreos

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »

Thanks G0t M4xx 21,

Seems as soon as you posted that I was in the middle of editing my original thread. I've gone through the error code doc and I'm getting 4142.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »

the "4" is actually a 0, so you have code 0102, a fairly common one, if i recall it's ram related.

Call m$ and say you have this error, they've been extending the warranty on boxes with code 0102

This post has been edited by G0t M4xx 21: Jun 23 2006, 04:45 AM

Kypreos

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 09:46:00 PM »

Thanks again!

My warranty has expired. Any idea how to fix the RAM issue?

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

Expried, or did you void it by openging the box?

Even if it is expried, call them and say that you're getting code 0102, I've heard many stories of them saying that they have extended the warrant ycoverage on xboxes that have this specific error code.

Kypreos

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »

It expired and they wanted another 130 bucks or so to extend the warranty. I've had my buddy look at it and we opened it up so I'm not sure they'll help.

G0t M4xx 21

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »

I read one report of taking a heatgun to the ram chips, to reflow the solder underneath them. It can be a risky process, but the 360 is already broken so it couldn't hurt.

Just hit them with the heat gun for about 20 seconds, from a fairly short distance, but don't touch the chip.

If it is in fact an issue with a cold joint on the ram, that will take care of it, if not then the problem is somehwere else, remove the GPU heatsink and see if there's the foil under it. If there is, then chances are the GPU has been damaged beyond repair.

Kypreos

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

Well, after going through the suggestions I was able to fix the box.

My buddy and I performed of steps to fixt he box so I'm not sure which one exactly fixed it.

1. Used a heat gun overtop of the Ramchips for approx. 10-15 seconds each.
2. Removed the heatsinks off the GPU and found that they had used WAY too much grease. We cleaned it up and used thermal paste.

Once we put everything back together it came up and no more read lights!!

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kypreos @ Jun 29 2006, 06:32 PM) *

My buddy and I performed of steps to fixt he box so I'm not sure which one exactly fixed it.

2. Removed the heatsinks off the GPU and found that they had used WAY too much grease. We cleaned it up and used thermal paste.

DAMN! i wish i would of known that a while back! LOL glad to hear its fixed man, i cannot believe you fixed it, that is a great ass find if you ask me. Good work guys.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kypreos @ Jun 29 2006, 12:32 PM) *

Has anyone else noticed this consistent reports of 360's randomly breaking? It has not declined or spiked since the updates and people are reporting the same problems.... most after months of using their console and all of a sudden BAM. I'm glad you were able to fix your problem. I wish you had been a little more scientific in the repair process to see if the heatsink compound fixed the problem or if the cold solder joint fix, fixed the problem. At any rate I'm glad you fixed your box and I hope everyone who claimed the LIVE updates bricked their boxes are ashamed of themselves since stories just like this proves that anything is possible and nobody knows (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Kypreos

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »

In my opinion the fix was more then likely the fact that there was WAY to much thermal grease used. When we took the heat sink off it was everywhere. It had drained onto the board as well and overtop of some of the chips on the board.

My guess is that it was causing a short when powered on which gave the 3 red lights.

But again, we also had the heat gun on the RAMChips so there's no way to tell.

HavocImpaler

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kypreos @ Jun 29 2006, 06:32 PM) *

Hello, great to hear you fixed the 360.
Mine is such yours, so please, could post a complete tutorial how you fixed yours?
I think it will be a imense help for many guys facing the same problems.
Thanks.

BCfosheezy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(HavocImpaler @ Jun 30 2006, 08:45 AM) *

Hello, great to hear you fixed the 360.
Mine is such yours, so please, could post a complete tutorial how you fixed yours?
I think it will be a imense help for many guys facing the same problems.
Thanks.

Sometimes it's a good idea to look. I had to sift through the posts like it to find this one. I chose it since it seems to be the best. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=522113
Come back and tell is if it worked for you.

HavocImpaler

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2006, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Jun 30 2006, 02:54 PM) *

Sometimes it's a good idea to look. I had to sift through the posts like it to find this one. I chose it since it seems to be the best. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=522113
Come back and tell is if it worked for you.

I put Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU and CPU.
But I have no heat gun to use, so I did a try with a Hair Dryer but I think it´s have not enough power to take out a possible cold joint, I will buy a heat gun and so try to use it on the rams then.

A curious detail I´ve seem is in the back side of my motherboard there are such a white dust around... I don´t know how, but seems to be a sort of humidity. I clean up with arctic clean.

Also, when I first start my console in cold start, it not boot up, red light (1-3-4) and error 0102 and the fans are weak... So I taked out the white plate from the fans until the speed up, put it back so I restart and the 360 plays fine.

What could be wrong then?

Please, any help are welcome.