xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Controller Batteries  (Read 88 times)

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
Wireless Controller Batteries
« on: March 23, 2006, 02:45:00 AM »

Hey guys, just got my Australian launch xbox 360 today (its famous, it was in the paper).

i was just looking at the batteries for the wireless controller... being just normal AA batteries, would it be easier to just buy one or two sets of good recharable batteries and use them? i wont be playing long enough to need the play and charge kit. and we have a good battery charge for the AA's in teh digital camera.

and im pretty sure it says only to use alkaline batteries...would there be be danger in use Ni-MH batteries?

thanks,
Daniel

Draeconix

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »

Simple answer: Play & Charge Kit. Yeah it costs more money but the savings are infinite compared to the cost of batteries, that is at least here in the states.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 03:50:00 AM »

yeah, i might have to go that way.

i figured out why they say only to use alkaline batteries: they are 1.5v instead of 1.2 like in recharagables and other AA battereies.

i just tried some good rechargable batteries that we sue with the camera, and fully charged, they show as i bar from full battery charge in the xbox guide.

cobra2002

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »

I would buy the play and charge kit too, once charged it seems to last forever. plus if you run out of battery power in the middle of a game your f$cked until ya can get more batterys, but with the play and charge kit, ya can just plug the lead in and carry on playing.
To me it seems to be one of the fairest priced accesories for the 360.

Rick

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:24:00 AM »

Don't bother with the play and charge kit, just get good rechargeable

For the cost of 1 play and charge kit I was able to get a battery charger and enough batteries for all 4 of my wireless controllers.

I had a Play and charge kit and wanted to get a 2nd battery pack for another controller, I couldn't find it anywhere so I picked up some rechargables... the rechargeable last a whole lot longer. Not to mention if you've looked at pics of the opened battery pack, it's just cheap sanyo rechargeable in there.

This is the kit I'm using:
(IMG:http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/full/chdcwb-4.jpg)

^That plus an extra pack of 4 ran me about $22...

For me plugging in is useless because the cord isn't long enough to reach back to my couch (it's a big home theater room), and it really pissed me off that the console stays powered to charge the controllers when you're not using them. When I saw that the P&C kit was just a plastic shell around some rechargeable I was pissed, when I found that my cheaper energizer rechargeable lasted longer then the crappy sanyos MS used I was sold for life...

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: Mar 24 2006, 05:52 PM

griffin XXI

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 07:35:00 AM »

Lithium batteries are the best.

BSDeez16

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

I use Rayovac NiMH rechargables for my controllers and they work great!! I don't know exactly how many hours I get, but it seems like a lot.  

The batteries in the P&C kit are also NiMH, so you might as well buy your own rechargables.  That was my train of thought.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »

thanks for teh replies guys.

i think ill just buy some more good ni-mh batteries (i can get them at trade price, so ill get 2 sets) and just use them.

i shouldnt get stuck with flat batterries in the middle of teh game with two sets.

and twistedsymphony, teh batteries that i got with my controller were energisers..