xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Modd: Soldering A Mouse In To The Analog Controller  (Read 116 times)

Intrepidtdx

• Archived User
Modd: Soldering A Mouse In To The Analog Controller
« on: January 27, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »

Bc MS has tighted the Licensing laws surpouding 3rdP accessories, may do not find it likly that co.s like lik-sung will release a KB/Mouse adapter for the 360, nor do people feel MS will want to license any.

So does anyone know if you were to directly solder a mouse to the connectors on the analog stick that if the mouse would work?

Problems i'm forseeing is that the data from the mouse will be different from the anolg stick so the chips that digitises that data and sends it to the counsel will not be able to interpert it and instead sed gibberish.

Does anyone know what/how to get arround this issue, or what parts/type of mouse i will need?

Thnkx

joerehall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Intrepidtdx @ Jan 27 2006, 01:32 PM) View Post

Bc MS has tighted the Licensing laws surpouding 3rdP accessories, may do not find it likly that co.s like lik-sung will release a KB/Mouse adapter for the 360, nor do people feel MS will want to license any.

So does anyone know if you were to directly solder a mouse to the connectors on the analog stick that if the mouse would work?

Problems i'm forseeing is that the data from the mouse will be different from the anolg stick so the chips that digitises that data and sends it to the counsel will not be able to interpert it and instead sed gibberish.

Does anyone know what/how to get arround this issue, or what parts/type of mouse i will need?

Thnkx

spell checker.

Intrepidtdx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 09:34:00 PM »

can anyone help answer my question?

tnx

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(Intrepidtdx @ Jan 27 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

laugh.gif that's not a little bump in the road... that IS the entire situation.

you can't just solder things together and have them work

You might as well ductape a mouse to your controller as it'd have the same effect (sans sparks).

In all honesty you have no chance of getting this to work without some good background knowledge of mouse protocol and basic electronics; so you better dust off your Engineering degree.

I actually have an Engineering degree and I worked on this very same problem for the Xbox 1 in my spare time for a few months up until the XJoyFrag was released.

It's not a simple problem and if you DID have a solution it could easily be leveraged into making some good money selling the tech.

If you are really truly willing to learn then get yourself a PIC chip or micro-controller with ability to read in serial and write out in analog... Then lean how to interpret mouse protocols and learn how to program in Assembly (or at least PIC basic if you have a compatible chip).

Intrepidtdx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

When I use the word Problem I dont use it losely.  This issue w/the mouse is the only thing that is keeping me from remapping the controler to a mouse and keyboard.

I have plans to put the melee button on the the mouse, so i do have to stop aiming to melee
i plan on putting the force-feedback mortors into the keyboard and mouse, etc.

everything else is a simple matter of solding wires, and so is the mouse except for the problem of is there a mouse with the same protocol, or how can i get around this prob.

If anyone knows the answer please respond.

tnx

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »

from the sounds of it your expecting some "magic" to come out and solve your problem. either your idea is really hard and not worth doing or someone is actually working through to create a product to sell, and either way wouldnt post here how to do it.

Intrepidtdx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

Oh wait ... this isnt Gandalf's Forum?  

Probably the Trolls posting here should of given it away.

I thought i was posting on Worldwide Wizard's Web, and not the Forum of empty responses.  

Any ways,  my question is pretty specific, and if there is anyone here with that info it would be easly answered.  and then i would easly be able to fininsh the mouse to xbox controler.  But some how you find this dificult to conceive.  And from you post you have a dificlut time conveying why.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »

simple creating a control chip that converys signal from a mouse to acceptable signal on a controller stick isnt some easy thing someone could just tell you. If you want to do it, if its possible, its going to be a lot of work. so get to it, and when you do it you can make lots of money

Intrepidtdx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »

i dont plan to make a new chip.

I you plan on connecting a mouse that has an anolog output.  Even if it mean i have to use an old dirty ball mouse.  I'm keeping it simple.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 10:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Intrepidtdx @ Jan 30 2006, 04:49 PM) View Post

Any ways,  my question is pretty specific, and if there is anyone here with that info it would be easly answered.  and then i would easly be able to fininsh the mouse to xbox controler.  But some how you find this dificult to conceive.  And from you post you have a dificlut time conveying why.

I've already given you all the info you need to get started working on it.
QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 30 2006, 01:24 PM) View Post

If you are really truly willing to learn then get yourself a PIC chip or micro-controller with ability to read in serial and write out in analog... Then lean how to interpret mouse protocols and learn how to program in Assembly (or at least PIC basic if you have a compatible chip).

If you're looking for the simplest, easiest solution ^ that's it. It doesn't get any simpler then that. It's not going to get any easier then that without someone doing it for you.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 01:38:00 AM »

some people just have no idea... im getting scared of this place

networkBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(Intrepidtdx @ Jan 31 2006, 06:42 AM) View Post

i dont plan to make a new chip.
I you plan on connecting a mouse that has an anolog output.  Even if it mean i have to use an old dirty ball mouse.  I'm keeping it simple.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 1 2006, 06:13 AM) View Post

It doesn't get any simpler then that. It's not going to get any easier then that without someone doing it for you.

Good idea

AFAIK there is no such thing as an analog mouse in the way you're thinking there is.
Simplest way is an 8 or 12 bit PIC with two AD outs (one X and one Y).  Read the serial bitstream in on the PS2 mouse and output an appropriate voltage to emulate the joystick pots.
I'll code one up for you with a few requirements (mouse only):

I hold © on the code, you get a perpetual non-exclusive licence.
You will hold the © on the design, I get a perpetual non-exclusive licence.
You sign an NDA stating various NDAish things about trade secrets and such.
The NRE cost is $800
The delivery cost is $4200

This is a genuine offer, if you take it I will code it, test it, and prototype it.
From that point you can go get it manufactured anywhere you want.

I think that twistedsymphony would agree that while not cheap this is not all that unfair of a deal given the potential profits that could be made.

Cheers,
-nB

Edit: Typo, crediting Idea

Intrepidtdx

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »

uuuhhh ... i'm just wanting to make one for my personal use.  Plus, MS has licensing rights to 360 accesories, so they would sue + enjoin your buisness if you tried to market this w/o their licensing.  and from what many are concluding MS does not want a mouse for the FPS.

networkBoy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Intrepidtdx @ Feb 2 2006, 01:11 AM) View Post

uuuhhh ... i'm just wanting to make one for my personal use.  Plus, MS has licensing rights to 360 accesories, so they would sue + enjoin your buisness if you tried to market this w/o their licensing.  and from what many are concluding MS does not want a mouse for the FPS.

Which, young grasshopper, is precicesly why the offer to do it under contract rather than do it myself laugh.gif

Have fun hacking
-nB