xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Comparable Pc 3d Hardware To X360....  (Read 192 times)

Carlo210

• Archived User
Comparable Pc 3d Hardware To X360....
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jason9875 @ Nov 2 2005, 03:44 AM)
4x Full Screen Anti Aliasing.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

Supersampling is an nvidia gimmick from way back when (GF2?) and unless its supersampling it wont just "smooth out" everything magically.

4X FSAA means 4X multisampling AA which just analyses the edges of polygons based on what the zbuffer data says are visible.  The word Full Screen Anti-Aliasing comes from Voodoo1 days when it was a buzz word for what some upcoming cards woul do (and of course they really didnt untill they had enough bandwidth to handle it).

These days you can also program AA via shaders and no doubt they could do something extra to AA the crude edges of 2bit transparency textures, but unless they do, I'm afraid its just plain 4x Multisampling.

Then on a sidenote, I dont even like AA nor bloom nor any other glaucoma effects. 4X AA would be most beneficial at the SD resolutions where screen size and pixel size make for a lego-fest. But at 720p I wont be missing it too much (though it will be beneficial with large screens).

We wouldnt even need TSAA if all the transparencies in the current games were "Battlefield 1942 trees" (play it see it) or soft alpha. But the devs have chosen hard 2bit alpha for everything now and it needs to be antialiased.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 03:15:00 AM »

one... FSAA does NOT stand for FULL SCREEN ANTI-ALIASING... it stands for FULL SCENE ANTI-ALIASING. Given this ANY technique which applies itself to the entire scene is FSAA.

MSAA == FSAA (essentially edge detection using delta Z calculations, expensive on Zbuffer but not on the color buffer)
SSAA == FSAA (essentially X times more resolution on the front buffer, expensive overall, provides the best results but costs a phenomenal amount of GPU power)

secondly - while I can't reveal the requirements for xbox 360 I can tell you this...

a game running in 720p without AA at all looks fantastic,
a game running 2xFSAAx720p looks better, smoother...
a game running 4xFSAA looks marginally better.
a game running in 720p applying full screen motion blur, bloom effects, Depth of field and also using FSAA looks amazing.

stop complaining... stop guessing.... we're not allowed to tell you whats required, whats happening or what will happen. Look, see, absorb and marvel and how smooth things look when done correctly.

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Nov 1 2005, 11:42 AM)
And while the 10MB edram is already too small for 720p

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

And hopefully they wont shy away from letting the interlaced SD signal be clear and crisp (with some flicker filtering surely) with true AA, and not just blurring it out with the soften filter in the tv-out chip itself like on the old xbox. Not that I will be using SD, but for the unlightened ones' benefit.

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

I know alot of the time screenshots released of games are not taken or screened by the dev teams who care most about what their baby looks like, but still interesting to see such a lapse from such a respected developer.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Nov 5 2005, 06:36 PM)
Funny thing I just saw that relates to this whole TSAA thing:

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Nov 5 2005, 04:36 PM)
Funny thing I just saw that relates to this whole TSAA thing: