xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Gamespot.com Says Core System Not A Real Xbox360  (Read 97 times)

Kolk1604

• Archived User
Gamespot.com Says Core System Not A Real Xbox360
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

Gamespot.com is saying that if your not dong get the $400 system, then your not getting a real Xbox360. Which, I agree. I think the core system is a waste.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Paying $400 for a gaming console is undoubtedly a lot of scratch, I'll grant you that. But listen up--if you're not shelling out that extra Benjamin for the $399 console bundle, you're not getting the real Xbox 360. In fact, I daresay you're getting ripped off. Nearly every accessory included with the $399 bundle is hardwired to MS's vision of the next-generation console: the wireless controller (as opposed to the Core bundle's wired version), the 20GB hard drive (which should never have been separated in the first place), the component HD cable, the Ethernet cable, the Xbox 360 headset, and even the media remote control. Even if you don't have an HD-compliant TV or if you lack high-speed Internet in your home, chances are you'll benefit from one or more of the other accessories found in this bundle.

Face it, as a Core system owner, sooner or later you're going to want to take your 360 online and find out what the next generation of Xbox Live is like on your brand-new headset. Even though microtransactions don't sound that much different to me than, say, paying for course downloads in Links or new tracks in a Project Gotham Racing game, you'll still need somewhere to save all that extra data you went to the trouble to pay for.

And the 20GB hard drive will be your best friend when that time comes. As far as I'm concerned, several accessories in the $399 bundle--the headset, the hard drive, and the wireless controller--aren't optional in 2005; they're an essential part of today's gaming landscape. Bought separately, that trio of hardware will run you around $170. You do the math."     - Brian Ekberg/Sports Editor

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6136285/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ebrunn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 09:12:00 PM »

true that

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »

thanks for the formatting  <_<

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 09:17:00 AM »

this was already discussed in detail all around the internet.

and also i thought MS themselves never even considered the core the package the 360 system.  they called the premium package the actual 360 system and only offered the other one for the customer's choice.  

anyone that wants to do anything that was described in that article is going to buy the premium version anyways.  the core is for the average joe who doesnt know or care about online play, HDTV, and is used to buying a memory card for their system because there is a good chance they always have before.  

also like other have said i see MS phasing out the core package rather soon.  if they are planning on selling the 20GB HD for $99.00 how stupid do you think they would be trying to sell the 40GB and 80GB hard drives for up to and over $200??  i think MS knows that no one would pay for a HD at a cost almost the same as the system itself.  i see MS phasing out the core bundle within a year and then have the larger HD on sale for the same price as the current 20GB.  that way they could still make money on the HD if someone wants to upgrade their system and with so much control over the cost of the system they wouldnt have to lose so much selling only the premium package.

gaz_dennis

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »

my thoughts exactly,ms didnt with start with the core and then say hey lets chuck a hd etc and charge more.they said heres the package with witch to experience fully next gen games,then forĀ  stripped out some of the accessaries in order to get a cheaper model on the shelves.

This post has been edited by gaz_dennis: Oct 26 2005, 08:42 PM

rasmithuk

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 02:40:00 PM »

From what was said at the X05 press conference Europe is the reason why the core version exists. J Allard said that Europe was more 'price sensitive' and they decided that the core system was the best way of getting the 360 into the most households in the shortest amount of time.