xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Don't Forget About The Ears...  (Read 119 times)

Carlo210

• Archived User

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Don't Forget About The Ears...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »

"No such news item exists."

ebrunn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »

team xbox link

Princeton Digital and MS have entered into a joint development and licensing agreement to develop professional quality audio processing software for MS’s Xbox 360. Under the terms of the licensing agreement, MS will include a custom version of the Princeton Digital reverb, the Reverb2016/360, with the Xbox Software Development Kit, thereby adding a powerful, flexible and natural sounding reverb to the game developer’s audio toolkit.

Princeton Digital’s reverbs have been used on hundreds of recordings over the last 20 years. These reverbs are known for their natural sound but require processing power well beyond the capabilities of previous generation game platforms. The Xbox 360’s powerful processors have the power to run these natural sounding reverb simulations with ease.

The Princeton Digital Reverb2016/360 is a 5.1 channel enhanced version of the classic Reverb 2016. Enhancements include multi-channel output, new parameters to control the size of the room, room resonance, independent position controls and filtering to simulate obstructions and occlusions.

The Reverb 2016/360 brings a level of environmental simulation that previously has been only available in professional sound studios or high end audio workstations,” said Brian Schmidt, audio program manager for MS. “We’re extremely happy to get these algorithms into the hands Xbox 360 game developers.”

“We like to create audio effects and we’re happy that over the years recording engineers and producers have used our reverbs in uncounted records, movies and other media,” said Tony Agnello Princeton Digital’s founder and president. “By adapting and enhancing our classic algorithms, we’ve created a natural sounding reverb that gives sound designers the creative control that they need to simulate any kind of acoustic environment. And we were able to keep resource usage within fairly tight CPU and memory constraints important for game consoles.”

Bogus8

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

I don't doubt that it will be good and cool... but just to clear that hype up I've been in the Pro audio business for 12 years and I'm not familiar with Princeton reverbs.  I hate hype like that... they just assume no one will know better.

joerehall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 04:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bogus8 @ Oct 9 2005, 06:49 PM)
I don't doubt that it will be good and cool... but just to clear that hype up I've been in the Pro audio business for 12 years and I'm not familiar with Princeton reverbs.  I hate hype like that... they just assume no one will know better.

i dont mean to sound like a prick, but if your not familiar with it doesn't mean its not good despite the fact that u may know alot about audio.

Bogus8

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 04:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(joerehall @ Oct 10 2005, 04:50 AM)
i dont mean to sound like a prick, but if your not familiar with it doesn't mean its not good despite the fact that u may know alot about audio.

Like I said "I don't doubt that it will be good and cool"  So why not read before you attack?  I was simply stating that they are hyping the "name" of it up... it maybe the best sound engine to ever go in a console.... that doesn't validate their false claims... having a false claim is just that... no matter how good your product is... that was all I stated and I *thought* I stated that clearly :rolleyes:

joerehall

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 05:44:00 AM »

fair enough!  :beer: