xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Dvd - Only 7gb Of Data Useable?  (Read 292 times)

krazyshane

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Dvd - Only 7gb Of Data Useable?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Infamous_One @ Sep 10 2005, 12:05 PM)
FUCK! , so i dont really get a 20GB for me just 18GB and HD's not always brings 20GB just around 19GB , so that would make around 17.5GB for me , they better offer me exactly 20GB damn it!!.  :grr:

I really hate you.  Everything you seem to say is bitch bitch bitch.  I dunno... i HOPE you're joking with this post... (and haha btw  [/sarcasm]) but seriously, you are a big negative nancy and I'm glad that I dont have to spend any time with you away from this board.

Shane

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »

lol

either add him to Ignore or get used to his ways.

Ive done both, and in that order. I removed him though as he pays me $10 monthly to keep him off Ignore  :beer:

:rotfl:

Im kidding by the way, about the $$  :huh:

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »

1. Any game that doesn't compress the files on the DVD either reads VERY small files or doesn't realise the benefits.

2. The DVD/HD read speads are comparable and thus interchangeable when it comes to design

3. DVD9 is de facto 9Gb... ALL games have a section of data on the disk that is NOT part of the game. MS games are no exception.

4. 7GB is plenty, heck my last two games fitted into 1.4Gb and they were pretty big.

twicked

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

MS Creating New DVD Format     FVD-1 and FVD-2.

MS has been pushing Windows Media 9 into non-PC applications with an eye towards playing a larger role in the consumer electronics arena.

For example, researchers at the Optoelectronics and Systems Laboratories (OES) of the Industrial Technology Research Institute in Taiwan announced in April an optical disc format called FVD (Forward Versatile Disc), which was developed as a low-cost disc format for high-definition video.

The first version of the new format, called FVD-1, can hold 5.4GB of data on a single-sided, single-layer disc and 9.8GB on a single-sided dual-layer disc. A second version of the format, FVD-2, will offer more capacity. A single-sided single-layer FVD-2 disc can hold 6GB and a single-sided, dual-layer disc can hold 11GB of data.

By comparison, standard DVDs hold around 4.7GB of data and the EVD (Enhanced Versatile Disc) format, developed by researchers in China, can hold around 9GB of data.

Unlike the DVD and EVD formats, FVD supports Windows Media Video 9 and Windows Media Audio 9 Professional. Using Windows Media Video 9, FVD-1 discs can hold up to 135 minutes of high-definition video, enough to encode most feature-length movies on a single disc, according to OES.

The first FVD players will hit the market during the second half this year.

Even so, FVD-2 with 11 Gbs, thats shit.  In comparison with Sony & Toshiba's DVD war anyway.

But, Samsung and MS have paired up ALSO, and samsung/toshiba are the same, arent they?  Which would mean maybe MS will take the HD-DVD and give it FVD and maybe ....360 add on??   Multi-Disk games are the only other option.

fuck.

-t

twicked

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(twicked @ Sep 10 2005, 01:06 PM)
Windows Media Video 9, FVD-1 discs can hold up to 135 minutes of high-definition video, enough to encode most feature-length movies on a single disc

I find that statement hilarious.  During the effort to cut piracy, MS releases a new DVD that hold more than enough to copy any featurelength movie DVDs and most uncompressed feature lenth AVI's.  ahahahaha.  oh well.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(twicked @ Sep 10 2005, 07:06 PM)
Multi-Disk games are the only other option.

Or new compression technology and not using cgi cutscenes, which MS and devs has already talked about.
The main thing that kills space on discs are the CGI cutscenes, but MS and Devs have said that there is no need for cgi since they can now make cutscenes in realtime using the games engine (look at Gears of War, Dark Sector, Prey, Oblivion, Kameo, Amped 3, etc).
Some games will still have cutscenes, like Japanese RPG's and games which are on platforms which require cgi cutscenes (current gen consoles), so those minority of games will just get closer to the maximum space on the disc. Some Japanese Rpg's will exceed the max space on a dvd, not necesarily because of the size of the game, but because of the hd cutscenes. They will have 2 discs to run from, which many rpg gamers are used to (Ie. Insert cutscene disc).

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Carlo210 @ Sep 10 2005, 11:18 AM)
Or new compression technology and not using cgi cutscenes, which MS and devs has already talked about.
The main thing that kills space on discs are the CGI cutscenes, but MS and Devs have said that there is no need for cgi since they can now make cutscenes in realtime using the games engine (look at Gears of War, Dark Sector, Prey, Oblivion, Kameo, Amped 3, etc).
Some games will still have cutscenes, like Japanese RPG's and games which are on platforms which require cgi cutscenes (current gen consoles), so those minority of games will just get closer to the maximum space on the disc. Some Japanese Rpg's will exceed the max space on a dvd, not necesarily because of the size of the game, but because of the hd cutscenes. They will have 2 discs to run from, which many rpg gamers are used to (Ie. Insert cutscene disc).

AKA - "insert pain in the ass disk"

{Sephiroth}

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »

FVD is 15 GB max not 11, which definately is more than enough. Will FVD work on a standard DVD player? In which case MS need not make any hardware adjustments

This post has been edited by {Sephiroth}: Sep 10 2005, 11:04 PM

XBox_Rocker

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

wait so ur saying a typical DVD reader can read all the FVD and EVD??

twicked

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »

doubt it, FVD is a new technology and will require hardware notifications to be able too read.  Which is why MS is putting them into DVD players and such so that they can extend WMV tech to the world outside of PCs.

Anyhow, either way I think they may try to throw some Samsung FVD DVD players into the 360.  I Assume they will read all other media aswell.

but maybe not, who knows?

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

the thing about MS is that they CAN upgrade firmware whenever they want... if FVD and whatever its called (never heard of it) requires a new firmware then they'll ship a new XDK (software) with the firmware within.

twicked

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

I wonder... they have all the security, right?  Then perhaps they can flash the firmware over the net, like an AutoUpdate..  they might even be able tyo zero your HDD  :blink:  AHahaha, oh well.

Anyhow, keep up the thinkin.

{Sephiroth}

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2005, 02:25:00 AM »

I think maybe FVD requires slightly different hardware. The only similarity is they both use red lasers, but a DVD player wouldn't know how to read it.

As it happens though I don't think the slight modification to the hardware would cost much or take much time. This may well be included in the 360 for holding gam data, just for that extra little bit developers may require.

Can't they just make 8 layered DVD's??

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »

A drives ability to "read" is part hardware part software (firmware)... if its possible then its likely to be a firmware chane.

{Sephiroth}

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »

As FVD is basically ready MS can include that with the 360 already
Pages: 1 [2]