xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cliffy B Comments On Final Hardware!  (Read 226 times)

Deftech

• Archived User
Cliffy B Comments On Final Hardware!
« on: September 08, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »

I'm posting this in several areas so its seen as much as possible. Mods/Admins, if you don't approve of it being in 2 or 3 areas(General, Hardware,Gamers) Please remove whichever.

Sadly some people here still don't know theres more than a General, or Gamers area. On that note....

Cliffy B, THE Dev of all Developers has spoken..

Cliff Bleszinki, Epic Games Lead Designer, has seen the future; or so he claims. Does he have a crystal ball or Jedi abilities? Not that we know of, but probably having access to both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 development kits provided by MS and Sony respectively, give you a nice chance to foresee the future of gaming.

Last week, CliffyB reported that Epic Games has received the final Xbox 360 Xenon Development Kit, which finally gives game developers final silicon as powerful as the hardware that will ship with the retail version of the Xbox 360.

In his latest blog update, the developer of Gears of War gives us a small teaser of what we can expect later this year with the launch of the Xbox 360:

I have had more than a taste of what true next generation gaming is going to have to offer and I'm here to tell you -

You're in for something special.

I can't speak much for Sony right now - yeah, we're working on stuff for the PS3 but honestly I'm so busy with Gears that it's all I'm seeing and I can tell you - MS is giving you a hell of a system. This thing is a BEAST and is capable of MUCH GREATNESS.

Sigh. That's all I can say so far. I am, after all, under NDA. :)

We guess such excitement comes after playing with the final Xbox 360 XeDK and moving the current build of Gears of War to the new hardware. Or has MS incorporated any new feature to the Xbox 360? If that’s the case, we don’t expect to learn about it from official sources since everyone is under NDA, Maybe we should have to wait until Sept 27th?

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »

is there ever going to be a point when the devs can speak their mind and not worry about any NDA??  im dying to know what the devs know and think about the next gen hardware!

CrisK

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »

I would guess that once the systems are released they can speak freely about the hardware, but I don't think you will ever hear them speak the truths about either platform, in public anyway.  MS and Sony are too very big and powerful companies that they probably don't want to piss off.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(CrisK @ Sep 8 2005, 01:22 PM)
I would guess that once the systems are released they can speak freely about the hardware, but I don't think you will ever hear them speak the truths about either platform, in public anyway.  MS and Sony are too very big and powerful companies that they probably don't want to piss off.

You dont know much about Cliffy B I assume. When permitted, he will give the 360 all the accolades it deserves.

As will our pal Tomonobu Itagaki-San!!!

Carmack has already said good and bad things about both systems, and then theres Gabe "The turkey muncher" Newell.

Itagaki will definitely make public comments, thats what hes known for   :lol:

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

<... stays quiet ... >

:beer:

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Sep 8 2005, 03:11 PM)
<... stays quiet ... >

:beer:

you staying quiet speaks volumes  :beer:

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 08:47:00 AM »

on the subject of NDA, how much are you allowed to talk about the hardware or features of the 360 M_hael?  can you only comment on the confirmed specs or can you get into a little more detail like giving your opinion on the unified shader architecture and the such?

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »

I can comment on ANYTHING made public by MS.

Any information I provide regarding the relative performance of the system, how it compares to other systems, how to program for it etc, etc... could (and probably would) be considered a breach of NDA and I would be risking my job and thus deportation.

in short - no details coming from me.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 09:51:00 AM »

does that get lifted when the system hits the streets?

at all?

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Sep 9 2005, 11:01 AM)

Any information I provide regarding the relative performance of the system, how it compares to other systems, how to program for it etc, etc... could (and probably would) be considered a breach of NDA and I would be risking my job and thus deportation.

wow, i didnt know it was that strict.  so give very very vague descriptions is as far as a dev is aloud to go huh.  well i know no body here cares for you to get fired or anything of that nature.  

i find it odd how MS can release detailed specs on the system and how sites like beyond3d.com can write about the system but developers have to keep all opinions and facts to themselves.  i understand the reasoning behind it i guess (dont want to give the competition any kind of detailed heads up your product) but i hope at some point developers will be able to express their joys and hatred for the next gen system.

This post has been edited by KAGE360: Sep 9 2005, 06:02 PM

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deftech @ Sep 9 2005, 09:26 AM)
does that get lifted when the system hits the streets?

at all?

nope

VariableElite

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Sep 9 2005, 10:01 AM)

:blink: Well, what good are you, then? <_<

:D  :beer:  :lol:

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Sep 9 2005, 12:44 PM)
nope

that sucks  :(

i want to hear everything about the 360 from the inside out from the developers.  it matter most to me of the opinion from the people who are ACTUALLY working on the console and not some editor or analyst.  but that will never come if the NDA is never lifted.

mikeandbandit

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »

the way I understand it is that the Ps3 will have greater graphical effects due to its ability to greatly improve clothing simulation, fluids and particle effects, This is not to say the 360 will not have these as well however in side by side comparisions the the Ps3 should  flatout beat the 360 in these areas. With the exception of particle effects which seems to be drawing contradictory conclusions at this point. So will the ps3 look good? heck yeah, in theory. However the 360 will begin to show you some truely incredible gameplay elements WHILE maintain and graphical ability similar to the Ps3.

Andy51

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »

That was a waste... You should be banned. But not up to me, I don't if if the Moderators will do something.

Gears of War, oh shit Deftech, I forget something totally... I wouldn't think so but can you ride vechicles in Gears of War?
Pages: [1] 2