xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Backwards Compatible  (Read 120 times)

reidtheweed03

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« on: August 31, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »

I think that MS should let you store your game profiles on a memory card, because im sure they arnt going to be like 50mb, probably more like 1 or 2, and if they did that you could store all them on a card, but then again its all about the money, and their is nothing wrong with that.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »

you CAN store your profile on a memory card  :rolleyes:

Deftech

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:08:00 PM »

:lol:

brooksie48

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 31 2005, 09:36 PM)
you CAN store your profile on a memory card  :rolleyes:

Good to see you put him in his place, I haven't seen many posts from you recently.

Bogus8

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »

Don't know where you've been but twisted has been posting pretty regularly <_<

I'm sure the guy meant so you can trasnfer to the new xbox... worded horribly but he said "backward compatability" so I can only assume that's what he meant.

brooksie48

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bogus8 @ Aug 31 2005, 10:05 PM)
Don't know where you've been but twisted has been posting pretty regularly <_<

I just noticed that. He posts alot in the hardware thread because thats the only place hes moderator. I usually don't check this section very often because frankly, threads with substance in this section are few and far between.
   TWISTED FOR MODERATOR OF ALL XBOX 360 FORUMS!

This post has been edited by brooksie48: Sep 1 2005, 03:53 AM

reidtheweed03

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 04:55:00 AM »

no what im talking is about how you have to download the game profiles from xbl, and store them on your harddrive so you can play older games, but what i was saying is that you should be able to store them on the 65mb memory card.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »

Ahh GAME profiles not XBL profiles... big difference there

well there's some contradiction surrounding that.

MS has said that Memory Units can store Downloadable content (I can't imaging what you'd fit on there but whatever). There's also a lot of hoopla around them allowing some games to be BC through the core system without the Hard Drive. though their Official stance so far is that BC only works with the Hard Drive.

Really this is one of those topics that is still up in the air and I fear we wont have a definitive answer until the console is released this fall.  :(

CattyKid

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 07:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 1 2005, 09:29 AM)
Ahh GAME profiles not XBL profiles... big difference there

well there's some contradiction surrounding that.

MS has said that Memory Units can store Downloadable content (I can't imaging what you'd fit on there but whatever). There's also a lot of hoopla around them allowing some games to be BC through the core system without the Hard Drive. though their Official stance so far is that BC only works with the Hard Drive.

Really this is one of those topics that is still up in the air and I fear we wont have a definitive answer until the console is released this fall.  :(

Ahh, the homebrew Scene, for the Xbox360.
First project: PROJECTmEmCaRdBC
That would be awesome seeing as los CHEPos wouldn't need the HDD.
But, I feel this is nearly impossible seeing as how many instructions, calls, etc you'd need to write for the different processor, graphics chip, etc.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

theoretically a game profile wouldn't be more than just an ini file with a list of emulator settings, I could be wrong though.

Based on the latest news from MS (http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEkVypAlkEEBmgHfac.php ) programs don't see the Hard Drive and memory card as separate entities they simply see the available space. Then in the same article they definitely say that you will definitely need the hard drive to play current gen Xbox games  :huh:

reidtheweed03

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

i just realized that xbox 1 games use the harddrive, so storing the profiles on a memory card wouldnt work, because once the game gets going it has nowhere place to cache the files.

Ickypoopy

• Archived User
Backwards Compatible
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Sep 2 2005, 03:47 PM)
Based on the latest news from MS (http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEkVypAlkEEBmgHfac.php ) programs don't see the Hard Drive and memory card as separate entities they simply see the available space. Then in the same article they definitely say that you will definitely need the hard drive to play current gen Xbox games  :huh:

That refers to the games and other applications developed by third parties.  The underlying components (Operating system and guide) must be aware of the differences in the storage medium, and would provide the abstraction of the storage to the games.  Obviously, this leads to the system that allows the backwards compatability to also be aware of the differences.