xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Developer's Can't Count On Hard Drive  (Read 722 times)

Carlo210

• Archived User
Developer's Can't Count On Hard Drive
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

tongue.gif  pop.gif

lex luther

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »

lol lmao. he think Clit is a modchip lol X-clit 3

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Aug 16 2005, 10:41 PM)
if(HDDPresent)

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(lex luther @ Aug 16 2005, 11:55 PM)
lol lmao. he think Clit is a modchip lol X-clit 3

Shinamano

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2005, 06:29:00 AM »

tongue.gif liek omg wht iz da clit?

I meant that phrase...my football coach used to say Opinions are like assholes everyones got one and hey all stink...

I was wondering what the rest of the phrase was... jester.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2005, 12:50:00 PM »

The x360 core system is shipping WITHOUT an hdd.  That pretty much answers all our questions, namely:

1) Games will not use the hdd for performance boosts (cacheing or virtual memory).

2) The core systems will not be backward compatible, or so it seems.

Hmmmmmmmmm...........

Shinamano

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2005, 01:00:00 PM »

Couldnt developers just program the game to use the HD if present and ignore it if not? I am a programmer (not video game) and I have to account for amny factors in my code...it would only seem as though game developers could and probably will do this.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

if(HDDPresent)
{
// Cache files
}else{
// don't
}

ooh aren't I good eh ?

this wasn't a joke.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

Possibly, and that would be great, but highly unlikely.  Having a game run noticably better on the system with the hdd, vs. the one without would piss a lot of people off.  Plus, that would require the devs to rework the game considerably to take advantage of the hdd, when otherwise could not.

Also, not being able to use the hdd would just plain limit some game from being created.  I know the situations are a little different, but if there was no hdd on the xbox 1, the halo games would have not been possible.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 17 2005, 01:22 PM)
Possibly, and that would be great, but highly unlikely.  Having a game run noticably better on the system with the hdd, vs. the one without would piss a lot of people off.  Plus, that would require the devs to rework the game considerably to take advantage of the hdd, when otherwise could not.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »

what about virtual memory?

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 17 2005, 03:22 PM)
Possibly, and that would be great, but highly unlikely.  Having a game run noticably better on the system with the hdd, vs. the one without would piss a lot of people off.  Plus, that would require the devs to rework the game considerably to take advantage of the hdd, when otherwise could not.

m_hael

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(incognegro @ Aug 17 2005, 02:12 PM)
what about virtual memory?

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »

you're wrong - caching (HD or NOT) is VERY VERY Simple to do and requires NO Changes to the "GAME" at all.. its an under the hood small change. Trust me I've implemented it several times and will implement it where ever possible.

If caching to the hdd will be used, the benefits will be negligible, because the game will have to run without it.

What about games, for example halo, that had to have the hdd in order to preload much of it's content?  Will not having an hdd as a standard limit the performance that would have otherwise been available if the hdd was standard?

I was referring to VM, more then caching.  And i'm getting my info from a friend of mine who develops games for pc's.  Either way, what are the chances that devs will use the hdd, even for caching, if it is supposed to run without it?  

why would it piss people off?? they are the ones who chose which system they got. thats like saying that someone with the basic package would be pissed because his buddy doesnt need a cable with his controller because he chose to get the complete package

Why?  Because most consumers will not know that having the hdd would improve their games performance.  Plus, i highly doubt MS would even announce this, if it were to be the case.  And once they buy the core x360, not knowing this, then find out later they need the hdd to get better performance (an extra $100), you bet your ass people will be pissed.

you should really start paying attention to what M_hael has been saying before you post. his posts answer a bunch of the questions being thrown out their about caching and such

A bunch of my questions?  How about only caching, and the info on that was little.
Also, i didn't know what the hell he was getting at in his previous post about caching, but now i do.
Plus, he only commented about caching; utilizing the hdd to it's fullest does much more then that.

The fact remains; the x360 hdd will be treated as an add-on now, because that is exactly what it is.  And devs will not use the hdd to it's fullest because it is not standard.  I do not see the hdd adding any substantial increase in game performance.  It will just be used to store xbl related content and game saves.  So, the x360's hdd will be as beneficial as the ps3's hdd.

Shawn_

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 17 2005, 05:30 PM)
If caching to the hdd will be used, the benefits will be negligible, because the game will have to run without it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8