xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Multi-core Cpu's  (Read 177 times)

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« on: August 15, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »

From the sounds of it, in reference to the andy tech article and now john carmack himself, multi-core processors is not the way to go.  Not only will it be more difficult and time consuming then a single core cpu, but it doesn't look like it will be as powerful as a p4 3.8mhz, or a amd 64 single core cpu.

Theoretically a multi-core system can produce great yields in gaming, but realistically is looks like it is not the case.  I can understand why ms went with it; on paper it looks powerful, and the price is cheap.  But what we do not need is games that require more resources and development time.

I wish ms would have gone with the more powerful single core cpu, preferably the amd 64.  But then they would have had to license the cpu.

But that’s just my opinion, what do I know?

Infamous_One

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

I love multicore , i want multicore , if XBox360 wasnt multicore i would have been long gone with PS3.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »

The ps3 is multi-core.  It has the core 3.2ghz processor, the cell, and the spe's....or something like that.  The main difference is that the ps3's cores are specific, unlike the 360's that are more general.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 06:21:00 AM »

If I remember correctly he did say that "maybe" this gen would have been better with a single OOO core... but he also talked to the benifits of this gen being muliti core IO. He talked to both sides of it not really choosing a stance. If you could have taken excerpts and made it look like he said whatever you wanted. rolleyes.gif

I liked gamespy's coverage of his speech the best... even if they did embelish it a bit.

http://www.gamespy.c...1/641662p3.html

82ross

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »

With good dev tools and growing experience with them, multi core programming should become (pretty much) as easy as single core. Carmack knows better than most people exactly whats involved, he gives a little insight as to where games could be going in the next few years, but i think hes keeping his own ideas close to his chest. He gives very open/general opinions.

R1CK13

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 16 2005, 05:28 AM)
... but it doesn't look like it will be as powerful as a p4 3.8mhz, or a amd 64 single core cpu....

LowProfileWurm

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »

I think devs are just going to have to adapt to multi-core programming.  The human brain is one gigangtic multi-core processor with each "core" operating at 1mhz... and CPU's seem to be gravitating along those lines.

m_hael

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »

First generation will see lots of games not really using the other cores mainly due to contractual obligations with publishers etc leading to them porting.

Second generation will see people having a longer time to build on an already functioning engine for multcore cpu's. We should start to see some of the benefits of said designs.

Third generation is where I would expect to see real movement and realisation that multi-core is the way to go.

Carmack is a good programmer but his speeches are more of a political address to maintain neutraility than anything else. He can't say one way or the other because he doesn't wanna piss off either side; money and power are a pain in the ass when all you wanna do is make cool engines.

re P4 3.8Ghz & AMD 64. They are both HUGE power sinks, requring HUGE heat sinks and VAST cases. In short they are NOT a viable solution in todays climate.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(R1CK13 @ Aug 16 2005, 04:56 PM)
I'd of thought it would of been faster then a 3.8mhz CPU  laugh.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Aug 16 2005, 01:37 PM)
3.8 ghz  tongue.gif

lex luther

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

I'm no expert and don't claim to be this is just my 2 cents on the topic. It seems to me some of these developers are bitching and moning because their having to change the way they make games now that their having to do somthing all new that they are going to have to get use to a whole new sets of tools and they don't like the ideal of it.. From what i read most part. Most of the developers claim not to like neather the 360 or ps3 kit why? I would say because their going to have to do a wee bit of work this round and its no longer going to be so easy for the first few years intill they get it all down pat. I even read that 1 developer said that he would be happy if xbox and ps2 stayed around to 2008 that its to early for nexgen consoles and its hard to program for. Im sure he would like for ps2 and xbox to be around to 2008 so they really don't have to do some work in my time as a gamer i have never heard so much belly acking from developers about programing for 360 and PS3 i wish they would stop acting like babys they should know by now that a console is born every 5 to 7 years its their evolution.

P.S To think of it this has happend before when Playstation 2 came out a bunch of developers said ps2 was hard to program for and Namco said they couldent make another tekken that looked as good as tekken tag becuse it took them 3 years to make it and that they couldent do it again. Belly acking all it is i pay no mind to these developers when they have to do alittle bit of work then the hardware is to hard to program for!

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

Now you are really scraping to "appear", "look" like a smart-ass. smile.gif

I said they don't "look as powerful"...not as good.

Unless you’re blind, and use your hands to read brail, you'll use your eyes to "look" at and read information.  And as i stated, the information i've "looked" at and read, say as i've mentioned.

Carlo210

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »

If you put your Amd 64 into an Xbox360 and depended on that heatsink, it would melt.
You can't say that your single core processor stays cooler and is more efficient compared to a single core processor.

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »

love.gif , but for now im gunna sit back grab some  pop.gif  and  beerchug.gif and wait to see what happens in the next 3 years

Bogus8

• Archived User
Multi-core Cpu's
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »

He was talking about with the stock heat sink that comes on the AMD that the other guy was reffering to... that guy was saying it wasn't big... so ginormous it probably isn't.