xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2 Versions On Re;ease Day?  (Read 535 times)

CattyKid

• Archived User
2 Versions On Re;ease Day?
« on: August 05, 2005, 09:50:00 AM »

If you read the front page, it reports that Forbes says there may very well be 2 versions of the 360 on release day.  Now this, my friends, is not the smartest choice, in my mind.  Okay, it may be $100 cheaper, but what ar the devs supposed to do?  One of the reasons that games played so smoothly on the XBox was because an entire level could be cached to the HDD, like Halo, so there is no lag/ VERY little.  
Without a HDD, then devs will either have to make 2 versions of a game, which would be absurd, or just disregard it, which would be likely.  Also, you would only be able to stream media and not store it locally.  Haven't they been toting the Media Center Capability of this thing for months?
Games were supposed to use the PS2 HDD, but few people bought it.  Look what happened to it.  I know it was released late in its life, but if the PS2 had a built in HDD, games could have been so much better.

Just my $.02

Comments, or am I just a little tyrannical?

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »

Without a HDD, then devs will either have to make 2 versions of a game, which would be absurd, or just disregard it, which would be likely.

I dont think so..  I think that it is brilliant.. Make a lame box for people who dont want backwards compatiability, they just want the newest shit at the cheapest price.  And make the other for us.. the mod scene.. It seems perfect.. As for making 2 games I dont knwo where you came up with that.. a game will load just the same on a cd as a hard drive.. and did you really think you were goign to cache a whole game to that thing anyway?  Doubt it...

Also they said compatability .. not being able to store the shit on your HD you are just goign to have a boxthat can stream all your chit from a media center home pc..

--Edit horrible spelling and grammer

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

This "news" is from Piper Jaffray, a financial consulting firm. They don't know anything about the xbox, the information they provided was the old MS strategy of having 2 consoles.

This information is not accurate in my opinion. You can't provide backwards compatibility without the HD.

xboxmodder4life

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

"and another unit near $399, with the more expensive unit including "additional hardware components (e.g., hard-drive option, extra controller, memory option) that core users will likely buy anyway."

it's already been said that the xbox comes with a 20gig harddrive. So i'm guessing for that extra 100$ maybe you get 2 wireless controllers + charging kit, or 2 controllers + project gotham racing 3. Basically i believe the 399$ is just a bundle made by MS.

If there are a bundle version and regular version both with include the 20gb harddrive. This has been announced by MS numerous times that all versions will include the harddrive.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(EverestX @ Aug 5 2005, 01:05 PM)
Without a HDD, then devs will either have to make 2 versions of a game, which would be absurd, or just disregard it, which would be likely.

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

Yeah but do you really think once the hd-dvd's get to the box your shitty 20 gigs is goign to hold more than 1 game?  That's my point.. and there is a differnt in caching to a hard drive and loading off a hard drive if I am correct.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxmodder4life @ Aug 5 2005, 01:13 PM)
"and another unit near $399, with the more expensive unit including "additional hardware components (e.g., hard-drive option, extra controller, memory option) that core users will likely buy anyway."

EverestX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »

No I am emplying that you would need one system with an hd to play the original Xbox games.   The new 360 gmaews could opperate with or without it.. Infact they make make titles that require  the hard drive... but I doubt they will make games that cant function in a 360 with a hard drive..  

Ture about the caching but if there were 2 versions one could use the feature and one couldn't,, possibly part of that $100 differnce.    

REally more than anything I think the hard drive has alot more to do with backwards compatability for the 360 than with cache.  It's simply too small..   Along with teh fact the 12x dvd's are supposed to have a sick read/seek time it may be as fast in comparison to a 5400rpm 8 gig... You never know.. Well at least I wont tell i have that thing in 100 pieces accross my floor..

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Aug 5 2005, 06:01 PM)
If you read the front page, it reports that Forbes says there may very well be 2 versions of the 360 on release day.  Now this, my friends, is not the smartest choice, in my mind.  Okay, it may be $100 cheaper, but what ar the devs supposed to do?  One of the reasons that games played so smoothly on the XBox was because an entire level could be cached to the HDD, like Halo, so there is no lag/ VERY little. 

holla45

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 10:50:00 AM »

Well well well noiw there's a slight chance they might be 2 versions if that statements true.......i guess there's gonna be alot of pissed M$ fans

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(thax @ Aug 5 2005, 12:20 PM)
The new 12x DVD drive in the x360 when spun up will theoretically have better seek and tranfer rates than the integrated HDD.

Huh blink.gif Then explain why my 16x DVD drive in my computer cant even catch up with my IDE ATA-100 HDD, let alone my SATA drives.

Bogus8

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »

Yeah, optical storage is WAY behind and always will be behind standard HD storage... On the other hand Networks can keep up with cd/dvd roms but that is a painfully slow medium so that kind of puts it in perspective.

Try running linux live off a cd and you will see how slow cd/dvd really is smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

GAH!
stop the stupidity please!

1st:
As Thax said Piper Jaffray is a consulting firm... they know next to nothing about the Xbox and are probably going off of old rumors reports with the two versions (The forbes article listed word for word the 2 versions rumor that was going around BEFORE the MTV unveling... it's totally rubbish don't bother listing to it)
Besides MS has outright said many many many times that "there will be only one version this holiday season" I tend to believe MS over fuggin Piper Jaffray, wait let me correct that... I tend to believe 4 or 5 MS execs, confirming each other about an MS product over a 3 paragraph online Forbes article quoting a consulting firm that's speculating about another companies product with no references to when those speculations where made.

2nd:
Even if the rumor IS true they never said that the lower "version" (which really sounds more like a "bundle" to me) would NOT include a hard drive. Who's to say that the "advanced" version wouldn't include a 40GB and the lower one includes a 20? Don't bother answering that because the rumor isn't true anyway  tongue.gif

3rd:
There have been several interviews with game developers saying that they're utilizing the hard drive for caching/virtual memory. END OF STORY. Developers will not be making 2 versions of their game for a single console. And developer are relying heavily on the included hard drive for caching. THERE WILL BE A HARD DRIVE.

4th:
a 12x DVD drive is not faster than an SATA hard drive....  NOT EVEN CLOSE
1"X" is 11.06 Mbps so 12"X" is about 132.96Mbps. Now also consider a 12X is the drives "peek" speed meaning it has an average speed probably around 8X or 88.64 Mbps. An SATA hard drive on the other hand has a transfer speed of about 1200Mbps... in case you weren't paying attention 88 is no where near 1200. Not ot mention that on the off chance the 360 uses an ATA-100 drive as opposed to an SATA drive, the transfer speed is still 800Mbps. Add to that the fact that optical drives always have longer seek times...
Don't believe me? look it up yourself:
http://www.forret.co...itle=Serial ATA

Besides they don't put the whole DVD on the hard drive because it's faster than pulling it off the CD... they use it for virtual memory; as an extension of the RAM... If you still don't get it go look up virtual memory....

pop.gif

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

sleeping.gif

holla45

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 12:52:00 PM »

Thing is why need a hdd for cache when xbox360 has 12x speed 3x then original xbox
Pages: [1] 2 3