xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Startupdater Python Script  (Read 70 times)

triggernum5

• Archived User
Startupdater Python Script
« on: June 08, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »

Incase anybody is interested, I wrote a python script that will:
Boot xbmc from a dvd and automatically run a python script which will copy files and directories from a directory tree on the dvd to the xbox hdd.
See this topic for more informationThis means you can simply create an iso with xbmc in root, and any files/directories that you wish updated.  Then burn the cd, and send it to your xbox illiterate friend who can pop it in their dvd drive and boot up.  At this point in time its pretty barebones.  It has the option to prompt to keep/overwite files and directories, or it can be configured to function with no user input except a prompt at the end to power down.  I have future plans in the works.

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:36:00 AM »

Looks very nice!

Great job there!

If you want please submit it to http://dwl.xboxmediacenter.de

Again, good job and keep it up! smile.gif

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

I always wondered how to properly submit these, thanks..  <

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »

Your site doesn't seem to want to let me register.  Never recieved my confirmation email.sad.gif

FXRules

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »

You know could turn this into an automatic updater. Since there seems to be a build a week comming out it sometimes becomes a pain in the a** to transfer the files over and try not to overwrite your *.xml files. Just an idea...Good work!
 <

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:28:00 AM »

Think Nuendo is looking into why the reg.mails dont get sent out.

I´ll post an update when it is fixed  <

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »

Nice Script, Nice work...

You might want to look into connecting to a samba share and downloading off that. That could possibly be a very fast installers script to get xbox's up and running.  <

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

You might want to look into connecting to a samba share and downloading off that. That could possibly be a very fast installers script to get xbox's up and running.
I didn't think about using it to update my own system.  Any filesharing/ftp program will do a better job than this What its intended for is updating your grandma's copy of "The Suffering" simply by sending her a dvd with the hexed default.xbe (and this script with a barebones install of xbmc). Then she can just pop it in and the program updates her files and tells her to remove the dvd.  Then her xbox will power off, and when she turns it back on she can kill things right off her hdd.   <

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

I see where your target is...

And yes ftp/filesharing can do it better... but i mean for unattended installs...
I can have my pc good to go with emulators, proggies, homebrew games *wink wink* and on a DHCP network, all i have to do is throw in the disk... it connects to the pc starts downloading.... even shuts off when compete...

This way if someoen had more than 2 xboxs to upload to its much less labour intensive...

yet mounting the drives in linux is much faster anyways... perhaps its a mute point for real installers  <

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »

And yes ftp/filesharing can do it better... but i mean for unattended installs...
I can have my pc good to go with emulators, proggies, homebrew games *wink wink* and on a DHCP network, all i have to do is throw in the disk... it connects to the pc starts downloading.... even shuts off when compete...
Yea it would be ideal for standard images you are right (Too bad it won't work on an unmodded system)..sad.gif  I'll look into Samba access.  I think python makes that easy.

dapht_punk

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »

Well as I am seeing it , this script is TRULY for the "real installers", those of us who have a "grandma" with an Xbox they expect us to babysit for.

Ya know what I mean?

Personaly this will make my life more enjoyable, no more calls, "Hey man , my xbox is dead......"  (I wish I had literate friends ,  rolleyes.gif  )

Thank you for your work man, good adition to the arsinal. ph34r.gif

@ Loto_back,
I do agree with you for the person that needs to install lots of shit on several machines.
We do that at work about 150 new machines a month for different pourposes, we use configurable autoinstallers. It maximizes your time, lets you play more Tiger Woods 04.   biggrin.gif

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

Well as I am seeing it , this script is TRULY for the "real installers", those of us who have a "grandma" with an Xbox they expect us to babysit for.
Exactly.  I did it for the environment.  All the gas we'll save not driving around fixing xboxes..smile.gif

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

Wow!

I guess there were more of us needing something like this than I had imagined.

Yup very useful.  <

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

Any artistic person want to draw up a Cool looking skin background?  Prefereably with a caveman on it..  I like cavemen..smile.gif

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »

If anybody can help me out with intricacies in the filecmp library, I'm unsure about acceptable formats for passed argument filenames.  filecmp.cmp() returns boolean, but I'm unable to get it to define itself.  I get no syntax errors, but if I try to print the result nothing happens.  The only way I've managed to get a response is with literal test filenames.  I'm trying to get this script to ignore files that exist and are identical.  Any help would be sweet.  <
Pages: [1] 2