xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wanting To Do Away With Evox Entirely.  (Read 64 times)

l u n t

• Archived User
Wanting To Do Away With Evox Entirely.
« on: June 08, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »

This is more of a discussion than a question. Or better, a bunch of questions disguised as a discussion.

Either way, I am wanting to do away with evox entirely. I don't really like the way it looks.

I'm wanting to boot straight to xbmc, which seems easy enough (I don't need any help with that). What I really wanting to know about are the limitations of xbmc versus evox. the things that really concern me are:

Backing up my games with an app (PXHDDblah) launched from xbmc:
Can this be done? I'm pretty positive it can, as the program to back up games is seperate.

Playing my backed up games from xbmx:
Can this be done? I'm not sure if there is a seperate app used to execute the games... there doesn't appear to be in evox, there's just the option to play games from HD.

Also, can I run evox from xbmc?

These are all fairly lame questions.

Has anybody else here "done away" with evox or other dashboards entirely? If so, how are you finding it?

This post has been edited by l u n t: Jun 8 2004, 07:41 AM <

Morien

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »

Yes, yes and yes.
I still have Evox on my hdd, but just as an average app. All I use it for is the ftp when I want to overwrite XBMC (some files remain if XBMC is running) and the odd bios flash.

Morien  <

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »

Backing up my games with an app (PXHDDblah) launched from xbmc:
Can this be done? I'm pretty positive it can, as the program to back up games is seperate.

Yes

Playing my backed up games from xbmx:
Can this be done? I'm not sure if there is a seperate app used to execute the games... there doesn't appear to be in evox, there's just the option to play games from HD.

Yes

Also, can I run evox from xbmc?

Yes

These are all fairly lame questions.

:jester:

Has anybody else here "done away" with evox or other dashboards entirely? If so, how are you finding it?

Well, i have evox. ava and xbmp setup as dashboards, but i do not remeber when i last used them.

But i keep them there as backups if i screw my xbmc install so can get into the xbox via ftp fast and easy from the other dashes. (i have a smartxx with 6 modifried  biosĀ“s to boot  from @ startup)  <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 01:06:00 AM »

Oh. I went with the aladdin chip because it was cheap. Now I'm wodering if that was such a great idea. It only allows for 256k of bios and I don't think that's splittable (if you know what I mean).

I fear the worst for my xbox in the first few weeks of setting up xbmc. I should be able to ftp to the m$ dashboard and make modifications to files from there, shouldn't I?

On the other hand I guess I could just work on the configuration of xbmc while evox is my default dash.

Bother.

This post has been edited by l u n t: Jun 9 2004, 05:47 AM <

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »

Some files cant be deleted when you use xbmc as your dash (textures.xpr for example) BUT you can OVERWRITE it with a new version of it.

So in short, you can UPDATE all files needed for an upgrade without booting into an new dash!

Also, if you do not use MSDash for XBLive you can set it up to use a exploit so when/if you screw your xbmc/evo-x/ava install you can boot in that way to get ftp access. (But using a boot cd/dvd should be faster, but using a exploit in conjunction with a chip could be a very nice setup)  <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 01:15:00 AM »

Yes the exploit idea sounds good. I'll look into it. I don't really have any use for xblive anyway.  <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 03:19:00 AM »

Okay, so what is the name of that/"or similar" exploit? I've had a look through the other forums but can't find anything, google doesn't want to play the game and the forum search function is disabled.

Hmm. Never mind, what's the point in worrying about it. I'll just create a boot disk I think.

This post has been edited by l u n t: Jun 8 2004, 10:27 AM <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »

I've just spent the last 6 hours researching the above possiblities.

Unfortunately it appears that patching the m$-dash to run ftp is impossible. I guess I could look into tHc, though that seems like a daunting task in itself.

My only option under these circumstances is to create a xbmc boot disk.

It's a bummer really. It would have been a lot tidier with an exploit. Though, as long as it saves my ass, I don't really care   :lol:   <

Loto_Bak

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 10:25:00 AM »

Tidyer with a exploit? I've found exploints to be annoying, and unreliable (see clockloop)

I just keep 1 RW disk around and a image on my pc.  Its EvoX with every bios ill ever need and a few other file management utils... (dvd2xbox, xboxtool, xbmc, configmagic)

I personally dont like default.xbe to auto boot from the dvd (ffs when i got xbmc when do i want a xbox game to autostart...) so i autoboot boot.xbe from the dvd (can change that by editing your bios) On my boot disk i keep copies of evoxdash.xbe also as default.xbe, xboxdash.xbe and boot.xbe so that no matter where i copy the disk, which machine i put it in, it will almost always have a bootable xbe available...

## Edit ##

To awnser your original q's

Yes i think most have moved away from evox. Its great to fall back on (relitivly reliable) but is ugly and out dated.

The only feature that is NOT in any other dash that evox does have is Trainers for cheating in games. That being said, they are buggy and cause things to crash at times.

Anything else that evox does xbmc can do better (well except maybe for boot time just because of the big skins)

If you would like sceenies of xbmc totally configured check out www.critikill.net as it is the homepage for the project mayhem skin which is the best IMHO. So check out the screenshots

If you need help you might be able to catch me on IRC in #xbmc on efnet

This post has been edited by Loto_Bak: Jun 8 2004, 05:31 PM <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »

Okay I'm having a little trouble making a bootable CD of xbmc.

Here's what I have done:

cd layout looks like:

default.xbe
XBMC/
|
 `(xbmc files)

All I have edited in XboxMediaCenter.xml is $HOME which points to D:\XBMC\

Burnt as UDF/ISO. Won't boot.

Bare in mind that everything that is installed on my xbox is 100% freash. ie evox, settings etc. (I don't know if that makes much difference.)

<

JayDee

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »

Just burn the files in udf format, but xbmc as a bootcd is NOT a good idea right now as it wont work like it should.

(black skin)  <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

I realise that it won't function properly, at this stage I just want to see if it's going to function at all.

I've only got nero5.5, hopefully this isn't giving me any issues.

<

nimbles

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

just choose the force xbox compatibility in nero in the udf options  <

l u n t

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »

I'm going to have to go hunting then, because 5.5 doesn't have that option. Not to worry. I'll sort this out a little later. I need to sleep.  <

b01

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

Don't bother buring XBMC to a disc then try and boot from it.

Reason:  XBMC needs to create files in the directory it was launched from when it loads. If it is on a disc it wont be able to create these files, causing unstability and unusal side effects. If you want to test it as dash,  your best bet is to load it from the Xbox HDD. :ph34r:   <