xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc From Dvd?  (Read 313 times)

gottimanu

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« on: June 07, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »

ive burned ALL my xbox fles on dvdrw to start them from dvd and i am able toplay xbox live :-)
but when i wanna start XBMC from EvoX it says something like an error or so.
can someone help me? im not a newbie just new at starting from dvd  ;)
cya

nimbles

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 07:42:00 AM »

keeping your modded files on dvd won't ensure you won't get banned from live- the fact the bios is hacked to run unsigned code (e.g. launch backups and evox bootdisks) is what will get you banned and you are doing that anyway

but yeah its possible, if using xbmc as your "dash" create an xiso from the contents of the rar file, and edit network settings and stuff to suit your set up- if you are intending to eject xbmc and play an avi once xbmc is loaded, i doubt that will work.

the other option is to burn all the movies you want to play with xbmc (setting up the the vodeo music share in the xboxmediacenter.xml) but that then means you have to create an xiso so that the dvd is more likely to boot, and essentially that disc is then useless in anything other than an xbox drive- would be better to run xbmc of the hd, then burn your movies/music in udf or iso format and that way tou can at least use them in a pc or standalone divx player too

would be better if you are that paranoid about live, to keep mod related stuff on your f: partition as a stock xbox doesn't have an f: and so m$ shouldn't be even see the f:

edit the bios to boot from the f: partition and you have an xbox that to all intents and purposes is unmodded

opjose

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »

There is no need to burn in GDF (XISO) format.

XBMC works just fine on an XP compatible UDF format disk.

If a disk will read in GDF it will also read in UDF formats.

That means that you can make PC compatible disks to play back movies, which will also be viewable on your PC and Xbox.

With proper software for both systems, you'll also have disks that can boot and run on both.

I've done this with no problems whatsoever.

nimbles

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »

wow  :blink:  i've made udf multi's before in the past and found them slower load... but yeah you're right opjose, they do load

if this is the case though- why the need for all these xiso tools? don't take this as me being argumentative, i'd like to know- i've always known that both are valid ways of doing it but it seems pointless to convert to xiso before burning if there is no difference (plus it'd be easier from pc drive readability point of view if udf was always used)

thomes08

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 05:09:00 PM »

wait...... you can play burned games on live?

thomes08

l u n t

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 01:38:00 AM »

So, my understanding from reading many threads about this, is that you can create a boot disk by simply copying the files within the xbmc*-*-*.rar to a CD-RW (plus changing a few settings for network etc)...

Is it really that easy?

No need to an autorun command?

EDIT:
Nevermind.

It appears to be that easy after all. Infact the best thing I could do is set up my xbmc files the way I want them and make sure it all works on the xbox... and then ftp the entire xbmc directory back to my computer and burn that.

ace.

I like the internet.

This post has been edited by l u n t: Jun 8 2004, 09:12 AM

gottimanu

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »

:huh: yeah i can play live i got a modchip :-) when i turn it off i can play live
but i have a 8gig HD do they have an f: partition?

l u n t

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 02:50:00 AM »

I don't think standard xboxes come with an F:\ drive. I guess you should enjoy Live while it lasts. Who knows, perhaps the whole "you'll get banned from xbox live" thing is just scare tactics.

:lurk:

gottimanu

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 02:55:00 AM »

yeah i think the 10gig hds have an f: partition but mine has none, in unleashx and boxplorer it says error when i want to go there

l u n t

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 03:04:00 AM »

I really don't know dude. I bought my xbox and chipped it straight away. I haven't played around with an unmodded xbox.

If you do get kicked off Live, there are alternative places you can connect to out there.

This post has been edited by l u n t: Jun 8 2004, 10:05 AM

nimbles

• Archived User
Xbmc From Dvd?
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (gottimanu @ Jun 8 2004, 12:49 PM)
yeah i think the 10gig hds have an f: partition but mine has none, in unleashx and boxplorer it says error when i want to go there

ok thats fair enough then- yeah you will not be able to use an f on an 8gb hd, sorry, its been a long time since i've encountered one :D- as far as i know its safe to install apps to e: but like you say it is possible that m$ could detect it then.

having said that currently the only thing a live update will do is to rewrite the m$ dash to the latest version and possibly wipe non m$.xbe's that are on the c: partition- i've seen a few people saying that they've accidently done a dash update and when they turn on the modchip and turn the xbox on it hangs at the x logo which suggests to me that none of the dash's set in the bios bootsequence are there anymore.

i'm just not 100% sure you can get full functionality if you keep having ejecet the xbmc disc to play say a movie or dvd- its the same as when i update to a new build of xbmc while using xbmc to ftp in- when idelete all the files sometimes the skin goes weird- but it remains functional until at least i can ftp over the newbuild (which is a minute tops) so  i can't really say if will work with movie or music