xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Javatn's Basic Blue Wip  (Read 386 times)

qweewqaz

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »

Thanks but none of the lowes in my valley carry them so Ill see about going down their tomorrow and placing a special order. Also with the screws you chose do you have to drill the metal cage to fit them? (pan head?)

happy.gif

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »

METAL CASE | SCREW > METAL WASHER > NYLON WASHER | MAINBOARD | NYLON WASHER > METAL WASHER > HEATSINK

pan head is a fancy word just meaning that its not just flat, or just round. its flat on the top but rounded in the edges.

IPB Image

-java

EDIT: If you are buying the exact packages i have, you will need 4 packages of screws, 2 packages of metal washers, and 4 packages of nylon washers.

qweewqaz

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »

thanks i just went down to lowes and found eveything so ill do it tomorrow thanks

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »

today was quite a busy day. despite my lack of time through the day to get assorted things done like drilling holes and finishing case modding ive made some good progress.

its really late right now so im going to post this, go off to sleep, wake up and put a start of blue on my 360 and go off on a 1 day get-away.

IPB Image
first today i decided to start some painting. i would be out all day so it would be a good opportunity for the paint to dry. aside from that, the behind the scenes work prior to this picture was to wash the three pieces and then wet sand them with some 1000 grit to give it an extra strength paint bond... so in this picture i had started to put some primer on.

IPB Image
next, i ran out of the house and on a tour of the Princeton plasma physics labratorys. while i was out, i stopped at my dads machine shop and started to map out where i was going to exactly place and drill holes for my case feet. (behind the scenes we took a dremel like tool (basically a dremel with a flexible neck) and used one of the grinding bits on it to sand down the original case feet.)

IPB Image
in this picture we were on the drill press, drilling the holes for the case feet. our measurements were so perfect that each case foot, fit snug in its own hole. "luck of the Irish" (and im not even irish!)

IPB Image
immediately when i got home i started to lightly wetsand my final coat of primer on the 3 small pieces and then started to paint white. for the most part they turned out acceptable (i ran out of paint), however after going through homestrech to get this modification done... i am going to get another can of white paint so i can really complete the job.

IPB Image
lastly, since i had finished the painting of the three white pieces i started to prime my main case... now that all of the holes were drilled and modifications were done (externally).

thats all for now... tomorrow things should be coming to a wrap up.

a quick refresher of progress:

Todo List:
-Paint case (Duplicolor Metal Specks - Ocean Blue + White)
-Add a front fan header & 60mm fan as intake.
-Replace ROL LED's (blue + white checkerboard)
-Replace controller LED's (to match ROL on console)
-Replace stock rear fan with Talismoon WhisperFan.
-Replace TIM (thermal interface material) with Arctic Silver Ceramique.
-Add heat sinks onto the northbridge (chipset) and graphics card memory chips.
-Add case feet to the bottom of my 360.
--Replace XClamps?

-java

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

Hey man i love were your going with this, Your focus on cooling and thats a good thing lol,

But my question is, would the 80mm fan on the bottom be better to push air in, rather then take the air out?

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(FILTHY J NASTY @ Jul 10 2007, 12:31 PM) View Post

Hey man i love were your going with this, Your focus on cooling and thats a good thing lol,
But my question is, would the 80mm fan on the bottom be better to push air in, rather then take the air out?

hey FILTHY J NASTY,

cooling is a very important factor to me... especially on electronics like the Xbox 360 and other computers. this is a hard decision on deciding which way to have the bottom fan blow air because there are many factors. i am no scientist, but these are my logistics:

it is better to pull the air out of the bottom of the case than to pull in because there is not alot of room for air to escape once it is pulled in. if i have the fan pull the air out of the case, it will get rid of the hot air underneath the board and the hot air will have escaped the case.

do you understand what im trying to say?

Navillos

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »

you want to blow the cool air in, at the components. it will aid in cooling the underside of the mobo. thats the part of the case that gets real hot after a while.

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »

where does all the hot air go after it has cooled off the components?

IPB Image

the pink line inside the case you see represents the presence of hot air... its just going to hang around.

if i have the fans pull the air out, then there is no need to worry about where the hot air dissipate to.

FILTHY J NASTY

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »

Air vents at the bottom....

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »

youve made a good point, i forgot they were there....

i think ill go it as intake now tongue.gif

on a side note:

i started to paint my 360 with my metal specks blue only to find that my dad, when he bought the can didnt LOOK UNDER THE CAP AND SEE IF THE CAN WAS TAMPERED WITH... so i am pretty pissed off that i am unable to paint my 360... someone sprayed the can and clogged the cap. ive tried replacing the cap but the can is all messed up and spattering... i am hoping i can go to Autozone (instead of Pepboys) and buy a new can or two.

Navillos

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

the air also gets pulled by the rear fans, because the fans sit in a dip in the metal case. i think it was designed to do that.

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »

well today i didn't get to do much... unfortunately as you know, i found out the metallic blue paint can had been used before (in store)... and the nozzle was clogged and the can was 1/2 full.  however... i took some time tonight before going to sleep to change the LEDs on my controller and remove the LEDs from the ring of light on the console... heres a classic video of mine with the new LEDs in action:

YouTube - Modded Xbox 360 Controler LEDs

-java

qweewqaz

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

classic video lol? i cant wait to see the finished product tomorrow,you should also light the x on your controller. also I did the xclamp stuff so thanks java  laugh.gif My box is alot kooler now

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »

shit! i have no idea what went wrong... and i don't think anything was removed or burned... this is very scary because today after replacing a few LEDs on my ROL... i turn it on to find no image on the screen... the worst part about it is that i dont have the secondary colors to see which error message i am getting.

this project has been put on hold for the time being... lets hope i can somehow fix it or something, find out how to see which error code i am getting because for now there is no point in finishing this mod unless the xbox actually works.

for those of you who think you can help me, here are some details:

i turn on my 360 and after about 5 seconds the fans in the rear turn up really loud. i cant see any error codes because i dont have secondary LED's... ive tried measuring voltages to "see" which LEDs would be lit up... but all of the secondary points read 0.05volts (out of 20v DC)... when i measure the voltage for the main ROL light, it shows 2.50volts (lit up)... im very scared here that this project is gone to waste.  sad.gif

help me if you can!

javaTN

• Archived User
Javatn's Basic Blue Wip
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »

update:

well now it seems that when i turn my 360 on and wait about 5 seconds or so... the fans just shut off but the power light stays on... i dont know whats up with this!!!  sad.gif
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6