xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: "prey" Themed 360 Wip  (Read 518 times)

Lethal_NFS

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »

Very nice cuts but I think you should have left more space between the bottom cut and the side with all the holes.  Would have been easier for you to mount your window.  Lookin good though bud!

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 09:38:00 PM »

After applying a light coat of primer then a regular coat, I wet sanded it down to a smooth finish and have painted my first layer of "guide" coat to my case, hdd, grills, and faceplate.  After this dries i will apply my first normal coat, give that a wetsand if there are any bubbles, bumps, etc, then give it a second coat of paint and let that dry overnight.  I will then give that another wetsand and start applying my clear coat laquer, which I decided to use because of its nice shine! WooHoo, baby, this rig is almost there!

First guide coat...

IPB Image

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »

well, after an uneventful, sad weekend, I am back to continuing this mod which seems to have taken forever.  I decided to cut a window in the airscoop just for the he77 of it.  Thought, "Why not add more light, I am already going to be blind looking into the thing anyways." lol.....I have so many extra scraps of lexan so figured why not go balls to the wall.  I am also including some close-ups of the black paint job on my case.  I have not put any clear coat on there yet, and they are still drying (this is the third coat, minor botch during second application) and the pictures are a little blurry, so bear whith me smile.gif Anywho, after the CC application I can trace the Hawk in order to begin the etching, which will be simple, unless you guys think I should completely fill in the open areas (and by that I mean "color in" the open areas of the hawk with the etching bit.  Let me know

Without further adue, the pics

Airscoop (haven't painted but am going to)

IPB Image

Top of case

IPB Image

bottom

IPB Image

HDD and Faceplate (I covered the power button and sensor with plastic painter's tape, in order to protect the frosted plastic that will show my Blue ROFL's)

IPB Image

Hope you enjoy, and more to come!

-Djbizwy

nekkron99

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »

That cut is looking My-T-Sharp!  Lovin' it!

j3y q

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »

Nice work keep it up cant wait to see the finished product

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

thanks for all the pos remarks all!  Well I have one more major question....since I plan on doing some sort of etching on the lexan underneath the hawk cut, do you guys think i should go for a complete "frosted" look when I etch it(basically shade in the wings, head body, tail, etc with the etching bit), or do you think I should just etch some thicker lines that moreso resemble the prey logo like I did with the dual hawks for my XX window?  PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP CUZ I WANNA GET THIS THING FINISHED!
Thanks,
  Djbizwy

nekkron99

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »

I think it would look sick if you did it like the actual logo on the box art.  It looks like a skull to me from far away.  And with it lit up, it would probably have that effect.  Just a thought.  And if you do go with your second option, are you going to use etching creme, or spray etch?  I used spray etch, and it came out great.  Very happy with it.  I'd post you a pick of the can I used, but I'm at work, so...  If you can't wait until I get home to see what it is, you can page through my Vader thread, or you can pm me, and I'll hit you up after I get out of work.  Can't wait to see it done though.  I love the Prey logo.   cool.gif

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(nekkron99 @ Sep 11 2006, 12:33 PM) View Post

I think it would look sick if you did it like the actual logo on the box art.  It looks like a skull to me from far away.  And with it lit up, it would probably have that effect.  Just a thought.  And if you do go with your second option, are you going to use etching creme, or spray etch?  I used spray etch, and it came out great.  Very happy with it.  I'd post you a pick of the can I used, but I'm at work, so...  If you can't wait until I get home to see what it is, you can page through my Vader thread, or you can pm me, and I'll hit you up after I get out of work.  Can't wait to see it done though.  I love the Prey logo.   cool.gif

Thanks man, much appreciated....I definitely loved what you did with the frost on the Vader cut out, because it accents those open areas very well, which allow for the helmet to have some depth to it.  If I were to etch, I would physically do it myself with the dremel, because for some reason I am old fashioned and like the idea of doing it myself...it can turn out awesome if you do it just right.  I don't know if you saw the other hawks that I etched for my window where the XX is on the bottom of the mobo, but that is what I was trying to shoot for.  But now, I am thinking that I may leave the hawk entirely alone, and instead etch something in the open window below the hawk.  Maybe the 3D Realms logo, or "PREY" written across, but I am not sure yet.  I would love to hear some ideas, because I have gotten some great pointers/ideas from people that I have used on this box that have made it turn out so much better than it originally was going to look like.  So give me some feedback of what I should do!

Gracias,
   Djbizwy

nekkron99

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

The 3d Realms logo would look pretty tight too.  This whole thing is going to be pwnz0rific either way.  You're lighting it blue, correct?  Sickness I tell yah, sickness.  You're etching skills are top notch.  I cheat, and use spray...but if there were no cheaters in the world, the losers would have nothing to validate their worth.  wink.gif

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »

sorry i haven't given any updates lately, guys, but have had more sh^t go down this past weekend....just to keep you updated, I have put on 2 clear coat layers, gonna wet sand them, then apply two more so that I don't have to worry about scuffing through them when I add the car polish....they are looking great. And secondly, I have been toying around with a couple of ideas for my windows, botching a couple of them, and am trying to figure out what would look best in the bottom window. As for the top window with the hawk, I am just going to leave it alone, and for the bottom window I am going to etch "P R E Y" in it. I flubbed it the first time because I traced the wording on the wrong side...such an idiot. So, tonight will be the finish of it all! Thank god...I will post pics of my progress as I peice it together

nekkron99

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(djbizwy @ Sep 13 2006, 06:13 AM) View Post

So, tonight will be the finish of it all! Thank god...I will post pics of my progress as I peice it together
Ahhh....the joys of modding!  Don't you hate how a project starts off fun, then ends up being something you can't wait to have off of your back?  lol  beerchug.gif

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

hahahaha, right?        

Ok, so I am pretty much done with my paint job, and it is looking REALLY nice.  Now I am working on my etching for the bottom window. I came up with an Idea of having the 3D Realms Logo above the " P R E Y " lettering.  I just did a first draft on an already scratched up piece of lexan just to see what it would look like, so don't judge the quality because it was done in about 10 minutes.  Like i said this was just a test to see what it would look like.  I definitely made the 3D Realms logo too large and the Prey lettering too small.  I am wondering if I should make the 3D realms logo much smaller and the prey lettering bigger, OR just do either or, not both logos.  Let me know and here is the pic:

IPB Image

LIKE I SAID IT ISN"T QUALITY AND I AM GOING TO TAKE MUCH MORE TIME WHEN I ACTUALLY DECIDE WHAT I AM GOING TO DO BECAUSE I WANT IT TO TURN OUT AWESOME.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

Thanks

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

well, i have finished the paintjob and all I have to do is wax and buff and then it is good to go! Even w/o the wax the paintjob is shiny as hell!  I have included pics.  I also etched a smaller 3D Realms Logo and larger prey lettering and am including a pic of that(I still might change it).  here it all is *sigh of relief*

HDD & Faceplate

IPB Image

Top of case

IPB Image

Bottom of case

IPB Image

Final Etching...I hope y'all like.  If not I will change it or retry. I have PLENTY of LEXAN.  THis picture doesn't do it justice either

IPB Image

I hope you guys like, and give me feedback of things I might change before I put it together!

A relieved DjBizwy

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »

here is what it looks like with the case and plexi on the system all lit up...in the pics it looks like you can't decipher the "REALMS" part, but you completely can...it is crystal clear, but the camera caught that light at a weird angle.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here is what the window looks like unlit
IPB Image

Hope y'all like!  I am going to make one more attempt at etching a good window, and then I will call it quits after that!

Please give me some feedbacks!
-Djbizwy

I might add some more LED's above the "3D Realms" logo...but we'll see....it looks good in person

djbizwy

• Archived User
"prey" Themed 360 Wip
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

finally waxed and buffed the case...check out the mirror finish (thanks for the tutorial HoZy) :

IPB Image

best paint job that I have done to date...now time to peice it together, but am waiting to hear back from what people think about my logo on the bottom window.  Let me know!

I hope people like this box...don't feel like it but oh well.  It only matters to numero uno
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6