xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Thermal Upgrade/cooling Tutorial  (Read 3439 times)

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
Xbox 360 Thermal Upgrade/cooling Tutorial
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(marauderrt10 @ Apr 5 2006, 11:48 PM) *

can you please post factual information? There have been atleast 10 people including me on here that have proved that the thermal paste does hit the heatsink over the ram chips.

I guess you cant see the pic...lol  

Yea thats the memory chip about 2mm away from the heatsink.  thermal paste is MADE FOR and only should be used to fill in the minor slivers or heat spots on chips that use heatsinks.  NOT TO be used for gobbing it on the chip just so it can make contact.

M-P-3

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »

Any more modified GPU heatsinks?

M-P-3

xboxexpert

• Recovered User
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 04:17:00 AM »

I can make you one if you wish.

M-P-3

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 04:05:00 AM »

How much would it cost smile.gif im in the UK too dont know if that will cause a problem

Thanks

M-P-3

bluto20

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »

I recently did this mod and after reading some of your posts about the heatsink not touching the ram chips, I looked at my mobo and saw a very noticeable gap. Doh! I had to remove the heatsink and take the AS5 off of them. No point in having any thermal compound on a chip if it's not touching the heatsink.

ProChief CXVII

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »

im going to do this for sure

RipRocK

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2006, 04:38:00 PM »

I was wondering, must the mobo come off in order to accomplish what the original poster had done?  (Applying the thermal compound)  If so, is there a tutorial on how to take everything apart in the 360?  The tutorials I found were mostly about how to take the case apart so you can gain access to the ODD.

If the motherboard can stay in the unit, then is there a tutorial on how to take all the things you need to take out in order to be able to perform what zilli0n had done?  Thanks.

killamilla

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(NoFear1488 @ Dec 6 2005, 08:11 PM) *

Yea I was thinking the same thing. If I could get the money then I would like to watercool it too and add a window on the side with the coolant being green UV reactive and have a UV cathode in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

When we get pics of your finished 360, can you make sure you're in the picture too! There's something about an attractive women talking about doing cooling modifications to her 360 that makes me sweat.

alongenemylines

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »

arctic silver 5 makes a huge difference.  at least for me it has.  the heatsinks are pulling a LOT more heat from the chips.  hopefully this and clearing my cache will help the random game freezes i get.

evil_loc

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »

Sorry for the Double Posts! *update (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

lapped 360 heatsinks! both had uneven surfaces from the factory, Which may cause 'hot spots' on the heatsink, if you guys really want to use artic silver 5, make sure to Lapp your heatsinks, cuz there NOT EVEN! Note: (system never had any problems) preventive messure.
(IMG:http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/loc125/360Heatsink2.jpg)

(IMG:http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/loc125/before.jpg)

(IMG:http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/loc125/after.jpg)

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »

This is very useful man, thanks. I gotta do mines.

rrg

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 07:27:00 AM »

I did mine as well. Here is the sanding kit I used for lapping.

The sand paper goes to 10 microns.

TIP: Be sure to use alot of water and sand a bevel edge around the heat sink to keep from tearing the fine sandpaper. Use a piece of glass for a flat surface. Each sandpaper should take about 10mins before you move on to the next grade.

The GPU is much harder to get super polished. The copper CPU is very soft and it's much easier with a smaller surface area.

This post has been edited by rrg: Feb 15 2007, 03:36 PM

Calibos

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »

A big Thanks for this tutorial. Finally solved my 360 noise woes! biggrin.gif

I got a 360 back in Nov '05. Never once had a lockup or Red LED's of Death. What I did have was a 360 that sounded like a Jet engine from the second the 360 was switched on. No matter what I was doing with the console, be it gaming, Streaming from MCE and get this....letting it sit idle on the Dashboard, my fans ran 100%. The only time they slowed down was playing a DVD.

First thing I tried was a Talismoon Fan. Didn't work.

Then I tried cutting out the fan grilles to improve airflow and reduce air turbulance which might be making the fan noise louder. Didn't work. My 1 year European Warranty was well and truely blown at this stage.  biggrin.gif

Next thing I tried was the Fan Shroud mod. I did this back in the Summer off my own bat long before I ever saw the TUTS here. Would I be right in saying that I pre-empted the current popularity of this particular Mod?  biggrin.gif If I could come up with this mod off my own bat just by looking at the layout inside, why in hell didn't MS design it properly in the first place!!

There were so many gaps around the shroud at the fans, the motherboard and of course the huge gaps between the Shroud and the heatsinks, that its a wonder any air was being pulled through the fins of the Heatsinks. Did a cigarette smoke airflow test and there was little to no air getting pulled through the fins of either Heatsink. It was all flowing over the top of the fins and then down into the gap. Especially on the CPU heatsink where it was almost like there was a boundary layer of air trapped between the tightly spaced fins deflecting the 'Smokey/Cool' air over the top and then back down through the shroud gap. Anyway, sealed all the gaps with Insulation tape. Made an insulation tape 'Skirt' around the bottom of the shroud and of course sealed over the top of the heatsinks with the tape. This meant that the only way the cool air drawn in from the side vents was getting out the back was to flow across the mother board and in the front of both heatsinks and along the full length of the fins, carrying heat away as it went and then out the back via the fans.

Guess what. That didn't work either!!

Of course now I know why. It didn't matter how efficient I made the Heatsink/Shroud/Fan combo when my 'real' problem was that the heat wasn't being transferred properly from the CPU to the new Super efficient Heatsink/Shroud/Fan combo in the first place.

When I took the Heatsinks off I found the die's absolutely covered in MS thermal compound with little or none on the CPU surface. It  looked almost polished already. Put it this way. I didn't really need to articlean the CPU surface( Though I did anyway) It did take me ages to get the Compound off the rest of the die's though. I didn't lap the Heatsinks because I hadn't got the gear to but I went ahead and applied the Artic Silver 5. Rice grain sized blob spread very thinly.

Put it all back together and.....

Result!!

My 360 fans are inaudible on Dashboard and MCE and only spin up while gaming or playing a HD-DVD and they don't spin up to 100% either. Don't know what speed they spin up to but its nowhere near full speed like before. Now I can game and HD-DVD without hearing the Jet Engine. My quiet Projector fans are now louder while watching a movie!! and they don't bother me at all. Before with the 360 fans at 100% I couldn't enjoy HD-DVD at all. I would have to turn up the 5.1 to insane volumes to drown out the 360.

So thank you all who contributed to this thread!!

rrg

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »

Congrats. Did you take any pics of the mis placed bubble gum on the chip?

evil_loc

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »

o and another thing i didnt mention before, it is true that the heatsink does not hit the ram chips its over. you can see it. but what i did was, the bubble gum ''thermal pad'' on the bottom of the motherboard on the ram, i cut a layer from it, added the layer i cut from the ''gum'' and in turn added the layer to the top ram chips so it can make contact with the heatsink. if it makes sence please let me know, it would have been easy'r if i had taken pictures of it. but i was in a rush. ill still try to post some pics., all in all you can say all the ram chips on my 360 makes contact with a heatsink, including the ones on the bottom with the ''gum''. wink.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7