xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: "unplayable Disc" Woes  (Read 134 times)

Porkpie

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »

I have been making backups and running them for awhile now and recently I have been having trouble with unplayable discs. I have tried older known working games as well as recently backed up games and none of them are working. I have had to eject and close the drive several times to get the games to work. The drive will read all DVDs, all originals, all original xbox, all CDs. I am currently using Verbatim media and have verified that the new backups are burned correctly. I remember hearing a while ago that this most likely means the drive is going out or at this point out and was wondering if anyone knew a remedy for this. I heard mention of a laser tweak that would allow your drive to read just about anything, even reading lower quality media. Any truth to this or any suggestions on a fix. Let me know if there is more information needed.

4qman

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »

I had this problem mate with my Hitachi drive and i simply took the DVD Drive apart and cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and some solvent i have for cleaning Thermal past from CPU's.

I worked a treat and all play Ok, I say ok as i will still replace the lens to see how much of a improvement it makes as sometimes i have to restart xbox to read disk.

Goodluck

spinemangler

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

Hey Porkpie,

I had the exact same problem as you. New burns weren't working, and even old ones that used to work had become flaky as well. I tried a few different firmwares trying to fix it. ( I have Hitachi 78fk). I was at a point when I thought my drive was on its way out, although it always plays originals perfectly.

Today I fixed all my problems. It plays every backup on the first try without issue. The solution is, as you mentioned, the laser POT tweak.

Here is the one I followed. Just a heads up, its a pdf wink.gif

http://dwl.xbox-scen...1.0_by_Moda.pdf

Anyway, I changed my rating from 3.290 to 2.990. I was amazed at how every backup I made now works. Give it a shot, its pretty easy, just don't go under 2.80 or you may burn out your laser.

Good luck, but I bet you will be fine, and up and running in no time.

-Spine

Porkpie

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'll give em a try.

Sephi6

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »

Hi.

I have similar problem, when I'm trying to run my old copies, everything is ok, but if i try to run for example Colin Dirt or The Darkness, i hav the unreadable disk problem. I tried Xtreme 5.0, 5.2 and 5.3. I changed my lens from 3.58 to 2.93, and still i have this problem.

BTW. i have ms28 drive

Edit: i forgot to add: the games runs, for example in Colin i can play some races, but in one place always crash, same in the darkness, crashes after difficulty selection.!

This post has been edited by Sephi6: Jun 26 2007, 06:29 PM

sosotiit

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »

how have you done those backups,?
software, drive?
-soso

Sephi6

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »

Images burned with IMG burn 2.3.0.0 like everyone of mine copies, drive is Nec 3540A same as before (when everytking works fine)...

chorizo1

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sephi6 @ Jun 26 2007, 02:05 PM) View Post

Images burned with IMG burn 2.3.0.0 like everyone of mine copies, drive is Nec 3540A same as before (when everytking works fine)...

he meant how did you backup the original games. what programs/method did you use to make them?

stormz

• Archived User
"unplayable Disc" Woes
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »

i just opened it up, got a cotton wool bud and some white spirit. gently dipped the wool bud in the white spirit and then gently cleaned the lens. about 5 of my games had stopped working but now they all load first time