xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Subtitles For English Movies  (Read 73 times)

seven5

• Archived User
Subtitles For English Movies
« on: April 19, 2004, 03:40:00 PM »

Hey guys, is there a trick, or anyway to get the subtitles to show only when they need to be shown.

With dvd, the companies just use the actual subtitle engine to show the english words when somoene speaks a foreign language. But with xvid and divx it just seems to be either all english or all something else.

With kill bill when they speak japanese it would be nice if the english would appear on the screen, but without it always being there.

Let me know if anyone knows a way to get this behavior with XBMC or if maybe its a special type of Sub, i've never messed with subs that much.  <

notsloth

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (seven5 @ Apr 19 2004, 04:29 PM)
it would be nice if the english would appear on the screen, but without it always being there.

I really hope this is possible smile.gif

I think it might be a problem with the subs themselves and not the media player though ... It doesnt work any better using media player in windows.  <

seven5

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »

yeah, i kind of figured it was a sub thing and not an implementation thing. I think this is somtehing that really needs to be accomplished. There are lots of movies out there that use this. And it really hurts XBMC or any media center when using divx and xvid instead of DVDs  <

sauroneru

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »

Next time you make subtitle files with your DVDs, just pick a different subtitle track  rolleyes.gif.  <

seven5

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 07:17:00 PM »

ok, cool i figured it out, its just a matter of picking the right subtitles.. I am watching Episode II right now, and i picked the subtitle that is English, but only shows subs when somoene is speaking another language and it needs to be translated. ROCKIN!

Just wanted to post that here so if anyone else wondered, this would clear it up.  <