xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Any Mac Solutions?  (Read 1579 times)

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

Well I successfully burned a backup in Windows (using Boot Camp) and ImgBurn. The Drive seems to be auto bitsetting, at least on this Pioneer drive I have, which seems to be different than what others may have.

geoffmac

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »

Anyone know if the drive can be flashed through linux? As you can apparently burn games on linux.

Was thinking of investigating ubuntu/kubuntu to see test out the 'growisofs' thing.

link

But thats useless unless I can mod my firmware lol

Gff.

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »

There has to be some tools that can be ported into Darwin. I mean it is Unix afterall. Has anyone looked at what is offered by Gentoo for OSX or Darwin ports?

I am sure that a live cd could be made with the tools included to burn (and possibly rip games in the future, although I don't think there is anyway to mount the Mac Volume under linux).

geoffmac

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 06:50:00 AM »

Ive looked through darwin ports to no avail and you can mount mac partitions in linux as read only cos ive done it before.

I also thought of trying a live cd would be so handy having a live cd purely for doing 360 stuff.

Gff.

geoffmac

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »

I was also hoping team xecuters x360 usb device would allow me to use virtual pc to flash the drive in windoze.

Cant find anything regarding this in the forums.

Gff

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »

I have seen a few threads regarding this, and it seems that USB is not emulated properly in the virtual machines.

B4tm4n

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 04:16:00 AM »

I managed to flash my Shd162c Drive by connecting up a usb to ide adapter.
It did register as usb 1.1, don't know if this would be problem with the sata to usb connecter.
I was using iBook G4 running 10.4.8 and Virtual PC 7.0.
I don't have a hitachi drive to test.

Hope this info is helpful.

This post has been edited by B4tm4n: Nov 9 2006, 12:17 PM

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »

Well good to see it can be done in VPC.

I ran across some information that led me to believe that the "growisofs" command may have been in earlier versions of OSX. I found this source file (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/growisofs.c) but there are a few build errors when trying to use gcc to compile it.

There is also another ports-like service for OSX called Fink, I have reason to believe that the growisofs command is included with a package form there, so I will be looking into that.

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

ok i am stupid. get this package: http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/...ools-7.0.tar.gz

You can then extract the source files and build all the tools. (To do that, open a terminal and navigate to the extracted directory and type 'make'. You need to have gcc and g++ installed to build the programs, so it may require Xcode to be installed) Since growisofs is a front-end to mkisofs, then you must have cdrtools installed as well for it to work properly. It can be installed with darwinports ('sudo port install cdrtools' in the terminal).

This post has been edited by cyberdork33: Nov 11 2006, 06:29 AM

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 07:37:00 AM »

Alright, done. I got a good backup. Here is the command I had to use from the directory that the ISO was in:
CODE
growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -use-the-force-luke=break:1913760  -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/rdisk1=Game.iso

You will have to change rdisk1 to whichever device is your DVD Burner (My hard drive is rdisk0)

geoffmac

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »

wow nice job.

Ive installed all the relevant software now just needa get the x360 usb which I could try with VPC or use the boss's XP laptop.  And some DVDR DL discs.

Thx

x360 usb
That tutorial seems good and I needa figure which firmware to use.

Gff

toker_000

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

Anyone got it to work with a Matshita DVD-R UJ-846.  I have a MacBook Pro 17" (Intel), running 10.4.6 and Windows XP SP2 under Bootcamp.

Tried CloneCD / IMGburn under Windows (I have specified the layer break)
Tried Toast under Mac OSX

DVDInfoPro states that this DVD Writer doesnt support 'Bitsetting', many guides states as long as u set the layer break it should still work.  It doesnt work for me.

Please Help

Thanks

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »

what firmware do you have on your xbox? The latest firmware doesn't really care about the bitsetting...
Toast will not set the layerbreak where you want it, so quit trying to use it.
You should be able to burn the .dvd file with ImgBurn under windows. If you have issues with it after that, then you probably are not backing up correctly, or the burner is not going to make a good copy. I do not have one of these drive (as you can see in my earlier posts...) so I cannot comment on whether it will work or not.

how are your backups "not working"? (Error?)

This post has been edited by cyberdork33: Nov 20 2006, 07:26 PM

organiclemonade

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

Thanks to all for your work on macs.  I'd like to keep this thread alive and throw in another question.

B4tm4n said,
I managed to flash my Shd162c Drive by connecting up a usb to ide adapter.

and this thread (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=563014) confirms that the Sh-d162c will work as an external drive.  So I'm thinking I can get an Sh-d162c and put it in an external enclosure to use for ripping my originals.

That same thread (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=563014) confirms that a Pioneer 111D in an external enclosure works for burning backups.  I'm assuming other burners will also work externally if they've been proven to work as internal drives (see the compatability thread:  http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=538258)

I've got a macbook with a combo drive, and I can run windows via parallels (or vpc or bootcamp).  If I use external dvd drives for ripping and burning, would I be wrong in assuming that I could follow the teamunderdog tutorial (http://www.team-underdog.com/howto.html) for burning backups?

cyberdork33

• Archived User
Any Mac Solutions?
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 09:05:00 AM »

IDK how it would be any different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23