xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using Hdmi I Have No Audio And Video Is In Vga Resolutions  (Read 57 times)

brandogg

• Archived User
Using Hdmi I Have No Audio And Video Is In Vga Resolutions
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »

The system doesn't think your HDMI cable is a VGA cable, that's not even remotely possible. Something got messed up somehow...if the system is new, exchange it. There was no need to mess with the different cables, HDMI gives you the best picture, period, and VGA/component are the same thing. It's probably showing VGA resolutions because it's just a feature of your monitor, some of them do this, some do not.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »

If there's a difference in quality between VGA and component on your 360, then it's your TVs fault. VGA and component (at least as far as the 360 is concerned) are essentially the same thing. Anyway, can't fix the sound (unless maybe you do the optical/RCA hack), but choose whatever resolution your TV is in the settings. If it's a 720p TV, choose 1280x720, if it's 1080p, choose 1920x1080, etc. You can also try upgrading to the NXE dash, it adds some new resolutions, it could possibly fix your problem.

AirJarhead

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »

I figured the NXE might fix my problem so I tried the HDMI as soon as I updated - no go.  still the same.
According to a thread on the Gamespot forums that I've been posting in, the NXE actually caused this to happen on more people's system.
http://www.gamespot....pic_id=25966623
I knew that 720p=1280x720 etc.  However, I'm more interested in fixing this vice using work arounds.  For now I'm going to stick with component.  1080i on component looks MUCH better than 1280x720 with HDMI and VGA (that is the max res my TV will dispay as it is it's native res).

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

Your native res is 720p? If that's the case, then use 720p, because 720p TVs can't display 1080i. Only CRTs and rear projections will have 1080i as the native resolution.