xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lockups And Artifacts After 2 Hours  (Read 70 times)

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Lockups And Artifacts After 2 Hours
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »

If its not modded or anything I would call up MS - still less than a year old. see if they can help you.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(thewizard111 @ Aug 30 2008, 10:53 PM) View Post

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is modded.

I could have just as easily figured.. just wanted to make sure. good luck with the fix.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »

It's most likely your GPU overheating. Replacing the X-Clamps probably won't help - but replacing the thermal paste or tightening the screws to the X-Clamps might. It could be that your fans are broken as well. Boot it up and feel both sides of the back, and make sure air is flowing from both sides - hold a thin piece of paper directly over each fan and see how far it gets blown back.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »

Then it could be that yoru GPU (or possibly CPU) have too much of the shit thermal paste that M$ puts on their systems. You should try replacing it with some Arctic Silver 5 (paper thin layer, even across the die of the chip, there are plenty of tutorials), then just put your standard X-Clamps back on, and when you attach the board to the metal chassis, make the 8 black bolts as tight as possible (without stripping).

turbotronic

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(flnagger @ Sep 1 2008, 09:49 AM) View Post

all of a sudden this morning i go to play a game and the same thing. Boot up the xbox360 go to play a game and 1 minute later beep and artifacts. Shut it down turn it on doesnt even post with out beep and artifact. Shut if off now 3 rrod!!!  anything i can do besides swap a loonie? this is my 3rd xbox360 since launch!!!

I have removed the x-clamps and applied Arctic Silver 5 on both GPU and CPU and so far, I haven't had a problem.  I'm sure my time is coming soon.  dry.gif   I've seen some people use different material between the motherboard and GPU to provide even pressure on the GPU and to prevent, or at least reduce, flexing/warping.
Here is a link similar to this fix:

http://forums.xbox-s...o...657695&st=0

Something else I've seen people do is replacing the factory pads found on the back of the motherboard, on the memory modules.  Here is a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.thegametr...page.html?id=23

So far, I've seen many different methods to fix the 3ROD.  What one you do, is your totally your call.  Hopefully, we all defeat Micr0s0ft's F*ck ups. tongue.gif