xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Video, No Audio, No Lights  (Read 40 times)

jacem84

• Archived User
No Video, No Audio, No Lights
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

hi all,
i am at a loss with this one. i have two xbox 360 one works the other just stopped working the other day.  i have no audio no video and no lights. i have tried all teh approprate tests and it definiently teh xbox as my other works on the same cables tv etc... when i opened it up someone had already done the xclamps mod so i reset the heatsinks wit new thermal paste but still nuffin both heatsink warm up but nuffin happens... any ideas? a buddy of mine told me there was somthin about a tool that could fix this by reseting something but he diddn't know teh details. has neone heard of this?

AJLobo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »

I'd really like to know how to fix this as well. I bought an xbox off eBay. When I got it, I hooked it up to my monitor. I was able to boot to the home screen fine, even play a DVD. However, after about 15 minutes, the screen got scrambled, then went totally black.

I hooked it up to a TV, but the video was still black. The audio was working for a little bit, but that eventually cut out also.

It seems it only works when the console is totally cold. For example, this morning, I turned it on and it displayed the Xbox logo and went to the home screen, but the video cut out only after about 15sec. This tells me there's a  problem with the solder connections. Someone had also previously done the x-clamp mod. I have yet to loosen the bolts, as they are pretty tight on there. I get no error messages, and no red lights. I would really like to get this thing up and working.

AJLobo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »

Well, I did the 3 (2 for me) penny trick. I also resurfaced and applied my own thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. Whoever did it last went overboard. There was paste all over the chips. Soo....something must have worked since now my Xbox boots with video every time. It even played a DVD for about 15min with no problems! The penny trick must've done it!

This post has been edited by AJLobo: Apr 19 2008, 08:56 AM

AJLobo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

Alright, sorry for the triple post, but apparently this forum doesn't allow editing after a certain time-out period.

Anyways, after buying COD4 and popping that in, I played for a couple minutes training. My console gave the 2 red lights (overheating) after about 5 minutes. I read here to play with tightening/loosening the screws. I tightened the replacement x-clamp screws, and voila! My console was able to play further into the game. It also doesn't have the Cessna-taking-off fan sound. Hopefully the contact between the dies and heatsinks is much better now. I'll further report if anything else goes wrong! *knocks on wood*