xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Uneven (?) Rca Left And Right Channels  (Read 40 times)

nfinite

• Archived User
Uneven (?) Rca Left And Right Channels
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »

So, I tried searching the forums and couldn't find anything (or maybe I just wasn't using the correct search terms; sorry if this problem has been seen and addressed before).

In my dorm, I usually use the optical toslink connection for audio when I have my computer around since it has optical-in and decoding.  However, now that I'm at home for the holidays, I'm using the RCA cables since our home theater system is a lil outdated.  I've noticed, however, that the right channel is much softer than the left - to the point that audio from this channel is basically non-existent.

I did some tests by plugging the RCA audio cables into my PC and looking at the relative strengths.  I had to reduce the left channel volume by about 50% to get the audio to be balanced.  I checked multiple cables; I have two VGA cables - one from MadCatz and one from Microsoft - as well as the HDTV composite cable that came with the system.  All of these cables have the same issue - the right channel is significantly quieter.  I've tested the cables on two different receivers as well as RCA inputs on my PC.

Since optical out has no issues, I believe that something is up with the 360's RCA audio pinout.  I've no ideas on what to test next.  Thanks for any help and insight into this issue! (Hope it's not a hard one to figure out)