xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 720p Over Hdmi Broken But 1080i Works Fine?  (Read 109 times)

Mumid

• Archived User
720p Over Hdmi Broken But 1080i Works Fine?
« on: November 28, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »

I have just got a falcon 360 with HDMI port so i thought id try it out on my Teco TL3281RT 32" LCD TV.

The strange thing is that over HDMI, when i run it at 720p it is really really jerky, the screen looks washed out and its like the TV is stuck in a really low refresh rate, graphics are choppy as hell. But over 1080i i have none of these problems, the picture looks great. Has anyone got any ideas why this could be???

Obviously i can just leave it in 1080i but i thought that 720p should look better and its very strange why it doesnt work properly over HDMI? Could it be that my TV's native resolution is 1080i over HDMI (not that that makes much sense!)

P.s over component, the picture is fine in either 720p or 1080i.

Thanks for any responses that are given.

scuba156

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

because your TV's native resolution is 1080i, a native resolution looks much nicer than a non-native one. it is possible that your TV is upscaling the 720p image to 1080i and causing it to loose alot of quality from it

your TV most likely does not upscale through component, hence 720p through component is fine

this is just my opinion, someone more technical with TV's might be able to help better (Im a hardware kind of guy)

This post has been edited by scuba156: Nov 28 2007, 04:02 PM

Mumid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »

because your TV's native resolution is 1080i,

Thanks for you response mate. How do you know my tv is native 1080i, or is that just an assumption?

CerealKiller741

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mumid @ Nov 28 2007, 09:04 AM) View Post

Thanks for you response mate. How do you know my tv is native 1080i, or is that just an assumption?

Because he googled it and found the specs on it.

CKwik240

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »

According to http://www0.uk.shopping.com/xPF-Teco-TL3281RT, this TV displays 1366 x 768 pixels.  Some scaling is involved, but it would be slight for 720p.  I'd try and test to determine where the problem stems from.  If you have access to different devices, try hooking up another 720p source to the TV.  Also try hooking up the 360 to another HDTV over HDMI using 720p as the output setting.  Maybe even try the component video connections.  essentially, you'll want to methodically isolate the cause to either the TV or the console.

Mumid

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(CKwik240 @ Nov 28 2007, 11:06 PM) View Post

According to http://www0.uk.shopp...F-Teco-TL3281RT, this TV displays 1366 x 768 pixels.  Some scaling is involved, but it would be slight for 720p.  I'd try and test to determine where the problem stems from.  If you have access to different devices, try hooking up another 720p source to the TV.  Also try hooking up the 360 to another HDTV over HDMI using 720p as the output setting.  Maybe even try the component video connections.  essentially, you'll want to methodically isolate the cause to either the TV or the console.

Thanks for your response. Ill try all your suggestions but it will take a bit of time to do, ill feedback when i have though. The strange thing is, I was testing HDMI vs component last night on my TV, 1080i on HDMI was loads better then 720p or 1080i over component, the picture was sharper and the game was a lot smoother. How weird is that. Id have thought that 720p over component would have been a smoother picture than 1080i over HDMI???? 720p over HDMI is a jerky mess though. Could it be the cable that I am using? It is a 1.3 hdmi cable.

It is really weird, cant find anyone else who has the same problem as I am. I spoke to my TV manufacturer and they said they will get back to me.

wuzup101

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »

To be honest, I really have never heard of Teco but that's probably because I live in the US.  That being said, the problem you are having could be the result of poor manufacturing on a budget TV set (as much as you probably don't want to hear it).  The best thing to do is just run it using whatever connection looks the best to you (or return the TV).  Your TV's native resolution is 1366x768 as per google.  Not that no digital TV has an "interlaced" native resolution.  CRTs were natively interlaced, but digital televisions such as LCDs are always progressive (IE: they draw full pixel rasters every time they refresh).  Any interlaced signal that is being sent into the TV (IE: 1080i) will be de-interlaced by the TV before it is displayed.  Any signal that does not match the TVs native resolution will be scaled to fit the native resolution.

In any case, if you like the picture with 1080i, than use 1080i!  Your set may just be better at downconverting a 1920x1080 raster to it's native resolution over HDMI (as opposed to up-converting 1280x720 - IE: 720p).  Why this is occurring is a question for the manufacturer (again who I've never head of).

Also, for the record, there are almost no true 720p TVs in existence.  True 720p is 1280x720 as a standard.  However, there were only a few TVs ever produced with this particular pixel structure.  The industry seemed to go the way of the 1366x768 panels for whatever reason (they were probably cheaper to produce).  Almost every LCD that you see advertised as 720p will be this resolution.  Almost every plasma will be something non standard with rectangular pixels.  They only thing that's really important is what your eyes tell you smile.gif  For 1080p TVs it's much different.  Almost every 1080p LCD has a true 1920x1080 panel.  I can't think of any with non standard panels off the top of my head.  Furthermore, most plasmas that are 1080p also use a true 1080p pixel structure with square pixels (instead of rectangular ones used in lower rez sets).

Mumid

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 05:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(wuzup101 @ Nov 30 2007, 10:12 AM) View Post

To be honest, I really have never heard of Teco but that's probably because I live in the US.  That being said, the problem you are having could be the result of poor manufacturing on a budget TV set (as much as you probably don't want to hear it).  The best thing to do is just run it using whatever connection looks the best to you (or return the TV).  Your TV's native resolution is 1366x768 as per google.  Not that no digital TV has an "interlaced" native resolution.  CRTs were natively interlaced, but digital televisions such as LCDs are always progressive (IE: they draw full pixel rasters every time they refresh).  Any interlaced signal that is being sent into the TV (IE: 1080i) will be de-interlaced by the TV before it is displayed.  Any signal that does not match the TVs native resolution will be scaled to fit the native resolution.

In any case, if you like the picture with 1080i, than use 1080i!  Your set may just be better at downconverting a 1920x1080 raster to it's native resolution over HDMI (as opposed to up-converting 1280x720 - IE: 720p).  Why this is occurring is a question for the manufacturer (again who I've never head of).

Also, for the record, there are almost no true 720p TVs in existence.  True 720p is 1280x720 as a standard.  However, there were only a few TVs ever produced with this particular pixel structure.  The industry seemed to go the way of the 1366x768 panels for whatever reason (they were probably cheaper to produce).  Almost every LCD that you see advertised as 720p will be this resolution.  Almost every plasma will be something non standard with rectangular pixels.  They only thing that's really important is what your eyes tell you smile.gif  For 1080p TVs it's much different.  Almost every 1080p LCD has a true 1920x1080 panel.  I can't think of any with non standard panels off the top of my head.  Furthermore, most plasmas that are 1080p also use a true 1080p pixel structure with square pixels (instead of rectangular ones used in lower rez sets).

Thanks for your response, i think you might be right. Ill just have to leave it in 1080i. The reason i didnt want to run in this was because i was under the impression that it limits everything to a max of 30 fps. Will this hold true for me even if the TV is converting the signal into its native res? I tested this with COD4 which i know runs at a solid 60 fps but I couldnt notice any difference in frame rate between component 720p or HDMI 1080i. The picture was much better under HDMI though. Its a really strange issue, youd have thought that it would have been easier for the tv to run 720p than 1080i but it must just be the way the TV is.