xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weird Video Problems. A Tiny Bit Of Help Please.  (Read 56 times)

keine

• Archived User
Weird Video Problems. A Tiny Bit Of Help Please.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

Well, I've commenced MKIII xclamp. Ill report back with my findings.

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »

I've been running my MKIII for about 2 hours now. Heat transfer is very very good and no additional problems have shown up so far. (Overheating/3RLOD.) I have to test pretty hard for the next couple of days to see if it had any affect on the artifacts/strange colors.

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »

Going on prolly 10 hours play time since the MKIII xclamp replacement I did with AS5. The color distortion/artifacts are gone and have not come back. Prolly 25 power ons, it would have defiantly come up again by now, since it was about once every 2 to 3 startups when it was happening.

I'll keep reporting in. I suggest that anyone with any form of artifacts...especially my kind (Color Wash) do an X-CLAMP replacement. It seemed to certainly help if not completely fix mine.  I did not do any sort of heating mods (Heatgun or Towel) and the XCLAMP seems to still have come through. It seems that graphic's artifacts are a hidden form of the 3RLOD (Overheating) in disguise.

Knocks on Wood.  unsure.gif

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »

Well I dont know what it is, last update maybe, but ive got this bug too.  Mine is a black screen at first boot, all subsequent boots work great.

A couple of freezes here and there, I think she's about to go sad.gif

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »

Well, I can report that the MKIII and AS5 thermal paste fixed my video artifacts/color distortions. It now almost seems like my GPU was simply overheating, but it may have also had something to do with the bending of the board that the xclamp may do. I don't know. For some reason, I think simply replacing the paste would have worked.

Anyways, If you are having artifacts and or color distortions, try the mkiii with as5. It might just fix it.

lieberbiber

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »

good to hear you were able to fix your problem.
i would have tried it i didnt still have warranty on it.
just got my 360 back from UPS after 2 weeks - that was fast.
hope it lasts for at least another year ;-)

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »

@the soul poet

Quick question. Did you check to see if your washers (5mm) were exactly .72 mm in height (thickness). I didn't and when I put the required number of washers underneath the mobo, I thought I could feel an oh so slight amount of movement.

I don't know the height of my washers, because I don't have a calipers. Would this be absolutely destructive to my xbox if the washers weren't exactly .72 mm in thickness?

Thanks.

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »

Well.....the problem came up again last night. It was pretty bad too, and it just got worse and worse as I beared through it.

So this morning, I opened up the 360 and the MKIII and I tightened the M5 bolts to a pretty good tightness. I don't know whether they had backed out, or I just didn't tighten them very tight. (I think the latter.)

Anyways after tightening them with screwdriver (previously I'd done it with just my fingers), the color issues went away again.

@readonly

Same problem as me? Take a look at the posted pic if necessary at the beginning of this post. I would greatly appreciate it if you posted back after trying this fix to see if it worked for you too. Use Artic Silver 5 compound on the GPU/CPU too if you do this.

Anyway here it is. RBJTech's fix. I'm just linking.
MKIII Fix

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »

@patch6....

Is my problem as well a loose joint? X-Clamp seems to have fixed it if I keep it tight. How long can I go? Does a heat gun work even slightly like a reflow?

Anybody?

mistergg

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »

Got the color error too today, after 5 min of play...

Had the ROD a few weeks ago, I correct it rapidly, but now I think it has cause some other problem.
Seems that the GPU is deterioring.

GG

The towel trick made my console working again. So it is certainly a heating problem.
After 1 minute up, colors start deteriorating again. (console is working opened)

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »

After 1 minute up, colors start deteriorating again. (console is working opened)

(console is working opened)

Huh, another tally for heating cause vs. loose BGA point (or other point problem.)

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

I recently had two consoles that would only give a picture in standard def mode. Switching to HDTV on the cable just gave me a blue screen. I know it wasn't a TV issue as my friends console works fine on it.

Seems the 360 has yet another flaw mad.gif

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »

Problems are back. The artifacts are now coming up almost instantly on alot of booting. The MKIII seems to be holding. I went in and checked the bolts....and they are all pretty darn tight. I tightened them a little more...which is the max I would ever tighten them. To tighten them anymore would require real torque, which I'm not going to impose on my poor little GPU.

Anways. Can anyone help me? Please?

Should I try another application of Artic Silver and redo the MKIII? Or is there something else? Anybody? It worked well for about 2 months......and now its back.

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »

FRICK lol....fricking xbox. HA! Artifacts are most definately back....and Im bridging on no video. Guess I should be asking in the RBJTech Forum. Looks like I'm going to have to just dick around with it till it works again. I'm not lovely towards this unscientific method.

keine

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »

Just wanted to report in that I fixed my color/artifacting problems. What did I do? Well I heat gunned the motherboard and re-did my X-Clamp MKIII, this time using the correct amount of washers between the case and motherboard, which is 4 washers for my Lowes 1mm thick ones.

Pages: 1 [2]