xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 360/ps3/wii Componet To Vga  (Read 42 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
360/ps3/wii Componet To Vga
« on: June 07, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

I don't think there are any products that do all of that in one (it's a pretty un common situation)

There are two ways you can do this

1. use VGA outputs from each console and buy a VGA switch... Xbox 360 supports VGA nativly, the PS3 might (it might not) and the Wii you'll need an adapter. A good VGA switch is the DVS-818a

2. use a Compononent Video swtich (I like they Psyclone PSC01 personally). and then use the single Component video output with a Component to VGA converter. Make sure you get one that does the resolutions you need. Some are specifically designed for 480i/p to 640x480... others are designed for HD resolutions.

No matter what this is going to run you at least $150 US. Probably more if you're in Europe (and I'm assuming you are)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »

Not all switchboxes are created equal... I went through 4 of them before I found one that didn't screw up my graphics with noise and ugly shaddows.

Mechanical switch boxes are usually ok, ones with a hard push button that physically switches the lines, but any of the powered switches with LEDs, remote, displays, soft buttons, etc. Expect to pay AT LEAST $100 for one that wont muck up your video signal and even that price point you'll have to shop around before you find one that's not total trash.

I had an old thread here where I went through all of the differen't switches I tried... the SCORE selectors were the worst.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

You're confusing an adapter with a converter (these are two different things)

Most projectors and some HDTVs are built cheap and to reduce parts they accept component over a vga port. The adapter (usually included) doesn't actually convert the signal to VGA it simply feeds the Component signal to certain pins in the VGA connector and the circuit in the TV can determine if it's a component or VGA signal that it's receiving and treat it appropriately.

All these adapters do is change the shape of the connector, they don't have any circuitry to modify the signal  and thus it's still component just with a different shape connector.

These will never work with PC monitors because PC monitors don't understand component video signals regardless of the shape of the connector.

Converters also known as "transcoders" which is what I'm recommending here. these will actually modify the component video signal and convert it to a VGA signal which in turn can work with any PC monitor or VGA capable HDTV.

A good rule is... if you don't have to plug it in... it's not converting/transcoding anything. Conversion circuits require power, standard video cables don't contain power sources so anything that's doing conversion will require either batteries or plug into the wall.  wink.gif

if you're not plugging it in then all it's doing is changing the shape of the connector.

Conkeroo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:43:00 AM »

Much obliged mate. I was looking around for info to clarify the situation but I couldnt find anything. Thanks for clearing it up for me. beerchug.gif