xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 4.1 Sound With 360 - Can't Get It To Work...  (Read 46 times)

Reaper527

• Archived User
4.1 Sound With 360 - Can't Get It To Work...
« on: May 31, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »

i think you'll get a better response in the audio section, moved

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »

unless your amp has a built in decoder you wont get surround sound out of the Xbox 360.

basically your amp needs to be able to decode either dolby digital from an optical toslink connection or Dolby pro logic from an analog connection.

The Xbox 360 was not designed to work with PC speakers as PC speaker rely on the computer to perform the decoding and accept line level (pre-amp) analog data rather then encoded data. This is done to save money since it's easy for a PC to do that sort of thing. Home theater equipment (like game consoles) is not designed that way and almost always use an encoded audio signal for audio (untill you get up into the systems worth 10s of 1000s of $$)

To use an Xbox 360 (or any console) with PC surround sound speakers you'll need a stand alone decoder to interpret the surround sound signal.

The cheapest stand alone decoder on the market (that I know of) is the Creative DDTS-100 which retails for $150.

SphtKr76

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

You could probably buy a decent AV receiver for less than a decoder, thats the route I would take....

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 06:06:00 AM »

How do I connect my Xbox 360 to my PC speakers?
For surround sound you will need to purchase an optical audio cable and plug them directly into your surround sound speakers, if your surround sound speaker don't have an optical or coax audio port, you cannot use those speakers for surround sound and will need to buy new speakers. If they have a digital coax port you will need to buy an "optical to coax converter". If you don't have surround sound speakers or simply want to use analog audio you will only need a 3.5mm stereo female to two RCA Female.