xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Quick Guide For Xbox 360 Outputs  (Read 236 times)

JaredC01

• Archived User
Quick Guide For Xbox 360 Outputs
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(delanoster @ Apr 25 2007, 03:48 AM) View Post

I believe it is possible to get S-Video out of the 360. I have a third party component/S-video lead; it has two switches on it, one for SD/HD and one for the component connections or S-Video connection.

The TV I use allows me to choose the input signal on the SCART sockets and when using the S Video connector if I choose Video (composite signal) the picture is black and white, but choosing S Video gives a colour picture. This indicates that there is a luminance signal and a colour signal coming from the 360.

It's been checked by someone whose word I highly value.  You can certainly buy an S-Video cable for the 360, though it won't give you any better picture than standard composite due to the fact that the hookups for the S-Video jack come straight from the composite socket.  If you check the chroma and luma pins on the socket, they will both be connected to each other, and will both be connected to the composite pin.  This is why I say there's no 'true' S-Video output on the 360.

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(delanoster @ Apr 25 2007, 10:17 AM) View Post

I believe it is possible to get S-Video out of the 360. I have a third party component/S-video lead; it has two switches on it, one for SD/HD and one for the component connections or S-Video connection.

The TV I use allows me to choose the input signal on the SCART sockets and when using the S Video connector if I choose Video (composite signal) the picture is black and white, but choosing S Video gives a colour picture. This indicates that there is a luminance signal and a colour signal coming from the 360.

That is interesting.  Whilst I have no reason to doubt Twisted, what you describe above, does indeed suggest that the Chroma and Luminance signals are seperate - otherwise you would get a colour picture on either S-Video or Composite settings on your TV.

If you have a multimeter to hand - can you disconnect the lead from your 360, set the meter to continuity, and touch the two inner pins on the S-Video connector ?  If you get you don't get a beep, then the signals are seperate ...

Tks...

JaredC01

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »

Diagram is back up.  My hosting company lost all my data not too long ago, so I'm still in the process of adding everything back in smile.gif

JaredC01

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »

Okay boys and girls, there apparently IS in fact S-Video output from the 360.  This was confirmed last night by textbook.  The new diagram is up, with S-Video included.  Everything SHOULD be correct, however if you add S-Video and do not have a picture, please let me know here.

As of right now, I'm including the capacitor in the diagram for S-Video, however I'm unsure if it's needed or not.  If someone tests this, please let me know for sure.

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »

why is there a capacitor on the toslink port i dont see it in the actual ms cable.

hecz

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »

Ive done everthing for the s-video and it looks black and white :S and if instead of soldering the red + to pin 3

and connect it to pin 7 it gets the color. Its that safe?

Oh and im not using the capacitor

thanx !

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »

I spent a while messing around with this and can't find the info anywhere else so I figured I'd post my findings here. The Xbox 360 Premium A/V wire outputs both composite video and 480p progressive scan via the component cables at the same time when the switch is in SD mode. Grounding pin 24 alone only enables Composite video, not progressive scan. Since it isn't in any other pinout that I've seen, I figured it would be worth mentioning that in order to enable both at the same time, you need to ground pins 20, 24, and 28. I don't even know why Microsoft has a pin that will only enable composite when grounding all of the video mode ID pins enables it and 480p progressive scan, but that's the way it's setup. Might be good to know if you're making your own A/V breakout box.

mikesnowdon

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

Glad I found this thread!

I was looking for this ages ago as I would like to add component RCA's sockets to my 360 that would allow me to run proper quality RGB cables. Am I right that the next best thing to HDMI is component/RGB? Is component/RGB 480p or 720p?

Im basically using a standard def CRT 32" widescreen tv and would like to know the best format to use.

LiTHiUM0XiD3

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »

the same pinout for one tryin to do so with a HDMI capable 360? or no?

snake3

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »

what is that component between the vcc and ground on the optical audio?  also does anyone know a good place to buy female sockets?  I really just need the optical one, I live in America so a source here would be great.  or can I cut up a optical audio cable and just solder it to the board?  I never cut one of them up before.

daverboon

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

hey guys, great post. so far it's the best pinout diag if found. i'm attempting to build a breakout box for vga monitors but i ran into a problem while following the tuts on the web. thinking that all the m$ av cables with component would have the same pinouts, I went ahead and removed the wires to begin. as I was reconnecting I found out the pinouts on my cable are not all there. starting on the top side where the red goes, or pink in my case, i've got 4 pins followed by 2 blanks then 2 pins then 4 blanks then 3 pins. on the under side starting at the same side as the red i have 4 pins then 2 blanks then2 pins then 1 blank then 5 pins.

so i can't really follow the tuts because they have me connecting wires to points that have no pins. it's gotta be a really old cable, other cables i've seen have pins all the way across. i can't buy another cable, i just can't afford it so any suggestions on how i can figure out which pins connect to what on this paticular cable? any help thanx.

daverboon

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »

Ok well I don't know where I went wrong but the xbox boots up fine. Only problem is the monitor shows no signal and it displays wavy scramble top to bottom like old days of scrabled movie channels. The only change I made is swap the L/R audio with the sync wires since I don't have the pins to wire both. This was noted before.

roosta

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »

Very nice and helpful, thanks for this!

RoOSTA
Pages: 1 2 [3]