xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Get Dolby Digital Playback?  (Read 83 times)

EvilBoris

• Archived User
How To Get Dolby Digital Playback?
« on: January 06, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »

I don't think it can decode things from an external source, I tried it with mine once.

Jaymus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 03:24:00 AM »

Are you talking no sound in game or through the music player in the Xbox dashboard.

If you are going from Xbox360 via Optical to your PC Sounds card, I don't see why you can't get the 5.1. Your card should be able to decode the sound stream from the 360.

Try it on a game that has 5.1 and see. Which option you using on the Audio menu of the 360

I think there were 3

Dolby Digital
DD 5.1
DD 5.1 with WMA

I think

I assume this is your card?

http://www.creative....a...t=150&nav=1

I don't have this, but are you setting the software to look for the INPUT sound from the Optical input? I dunno, I assume your card can take the optical IN and decode it, or else why would they even have the input in the first place.

sri-16v

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »

Hi thanks for the replies, Yep that is my sound card . The problem is no sound is played at all if I use anything other than digital stereo option.( if you move the analog stick in the dashboard you get a sound effect, but if it aint on digital stereo there is no sound at all) I have fiddled and fiddled with settings in sound options and control panel and have come to the conclusion that maybe the dolby digital is for the digital output on my sound card as I cant see any other way of getting it working. The sound is great at the moment just rather a true 5.1 surround, hopefully some1 will see this and have a bit of knowledge on the situation.

thanks again

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »

it sounds like your sound card can't decode dolby digital surround sound from an external source.

do your speakers have an optical input?

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »

Yeah, he did say that his speakers had an optical jack on the front.  Plug the 360 in there instead.  Really no need to go through the computer to get your sound, just another hurdle for your sound to overcome when trying to get to your ears.

sri-16v

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 03:37:00 AM »

Right I got it working, went into control panel and then into my creative audio HQ, and there is an SPDIF panel where you can pick what decoder to use for an incoming digital signal. All I had to do what select dolby digital built in SPDIF decode and the go into system, audio settings on my 360 and then select dolby digital. I knew it could be done as the card would not come with an optical in and out on the front fascia and also claim support for dolby digital decoding, anyway thanks for the help guys, loving the 5.1  digital true surround, ooh forgot to say I just have normal creative inspire 5.1 speakers, so there is no optical input thats why I have to go through the pc to get my 5.1, its def worth it crystal clear even at max volume.