xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How-To: Turn a standard Xbox 360 video cable into a VGA cable  (Read 355 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
How-To: Turn a standard Xbox 360 video cable into a VGA cable
« on: November 14, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | November 14 17:34 EST

From engadget.com:

Recent Xbox 360 updates have allowed the system to spit out resolutions up to 1080p, and with the new HD DVD add-on drive there's more reason than ever to use a high quality VGA signal instead of the more standard 3-cable component. However there's a bit of a catch -- VGA cables for the 360 cost about $40. According to my calculations, that's about 2 pizzas and a case of beer less to game with. WE don't know about you, but we find that a pretty scary proposition -- yours buddies that swing over for game night probably do too.

In this How-To we'll describe how you can turn your existing Xbox 360 video cable into a "multi-out" device capable of VGA. You don't even need to hack inside the Xbox itself, just the cable. Total cost is around $7, including the Radio Shack project box shown above. Ready to save some cash? Let's get in there!

The following mod allows you to use a standard Xbox 360 cable to create a special VGA cable that would normally be purchased separately. The reason we can hack the standard cable in this way is because Microsoft was kind enough to put every pin in the normal connector, even ones the cable doesn't use. Standard plugs on other systems (notably the PS2 and Gamecube) only have the pins the plug needs.

Read the whole tutorial on engadget.com

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

Nice, but very fugly.

GeToChKn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

I'd rather buy a third party one from a place like foundmy for $20 than go through all that work.

DoTsTeR

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »

too much work and ugly.. but tons of great information on how the project was done..

shotgunsteve

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(GeToChKn @ Nov 15 2006, 12:01 AM) View Post

I'd rather buy a third party one from a place like foundmy for $20 than go through all that work.

exactly, this mod is just a waste of time and energy imo

GhostDog__

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »

No way would I go through that to save a little a bit of money.  Way to much time, and energy.  You can get the official MS VGA cables on eBay for cheap, which is what I'm going to do.

This post has been edited by GhostDog__: Nov 14 2006, 11:45 PM

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 03:47:00 PM »

I am all for things like this.  Homebrew over pre-made for a cheaper price.  In fact, that's why I (and other people) chose to build a homemade VGA cable for the Xbox 1 instead of buying an X2VGA for $70 or however much they cost.  It was easy, a learning experience, and very cheap.

This, although very much the same thing, isn't really necessary though.  With the Xbox 1, there were no other VGA options except for expensive transcoders.  With the Xbox 360, you can just get a $15 generic VGA cable on ebay.  In fact, that's probably right around the cost of the normal A/V cable.  So, you're not really saving anything with this mod.  I love the idea, and would do it, if not for the cheap VGA cable already widely available.

sandmanza

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »

While I would go out and buy the VGA cable the one thing I like is the fact of it being in a box. I personally would rather have ports at the back and use my own cables to suit the length needed than be limited by a cable. So if someone releases a nice setup that will work in horizontal and vertical orientations or even a short cable that leads to a box, would be nice.

troyBORG

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

Now if they would just release something that would make it work with my DVI-D TV!

whiteboytroy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

you would think they could have found or made something smaller to encase it

BecomethemonsteR

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(troyBORG @ Nov 14 2006, 05:34 PM) View Post

Now if they would just release something that would make it work with my DVI-D TV!

There is a cable you can buy from Monster Cable(maybe through other companies as well) and it has a VGA plug on one end and a DVI plug on the other.  It would be perfect.

Madskilz182

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:42:00 PM »

There is a cable you can buy from Monster Cable(maybe through other companies as well) and it has a VGA plug on one end and a DVI plug on the other. It would be perfect.

That may be, but I'd be willing to bet they DVI end is DVI-A and not DVI-D

ipodder2003

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »

Is it still worth doing something like this or buying a VGA cable even if my tv doesn't support 1080p?  I've heard VGA makes 1080i look nicer but I wasn't sure.

pRtkL xLr8r

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »

I'm getting a new HDTV with 1080p and VGA-in capability, and am wondering if anyone knows about or has seen first-hand the picture quality difference in using the VGA X360 cable over the component one.  I mean if it's no different, and it's just for connecting to a PC monitor, I'm not going to bother buying/modding one.

PaulK501

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(pRtkL xLr8r @ Nov 14 2006, 09:22 PM) View Post

I'm getting a new HDTV with 1080p and VGA-in capability, and am wondering if anyone knows about or has seen first-hand the picture quality difference in using the VGA X360 cable over the component one.  I mean if it's no different, and it's just for connecting to a PC monitor, I'm not going to bother buying/modding one.

i did and that was last night. BUT my tv was called an EDTV so i dont think its a true HD tv. it looks great (VGA and Component) on both my plasma edtv and my dell 17inch pc monitor ((VGA only)1280x1024). if you want pics just ask and ill show ya differences (pics will be with 4mp samsung a402 cam). to me i couldn't really tell a diffrence but i was was paying attention to the game not the graphics....

this is the vga cable im useing
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem
Pages: [1] 2 3