xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Tv For Xbox 360 ? Need Help Please  (Read 110 times)

Juelz

• Archived User
Best Tv For Xbox 360 ? Need Help Please
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

I really need to know what tv I should get for xbox360/dvd movies usage. Before I go out and buy a TV, could anyone please tell me which kinds of TV's (LCD, Plasma, etc) are the best (in terms of visual quality) for gaming and whatching TV.

Im willing to spent 2000$ and i want like 42 inch TV, with the best quality.  I really apprciate some help.

Thank you

Juelz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »

need help please

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

The best for visual quality is a flat screen CRT. They support every resolution and are crisp and bright. They are a lot cheaper as well.

However, for size you need a Plasma or LCD. You just need to find out their native resolution and set your box to match it.

So basically for quality get a Flat screen CRT. For size get a LCD or Plasma.

I don't know too much about the differences between Plasma and LCD however. sad.gif

/kicks myself for not reading more often

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »

For that price, I'd recommend the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 or the Sceptre X42GV-Naga.  They're both 42" LCD 1080p displays.  I recommend LCD over plasma because I prefer resolution over picture quality, but your tastes may be different.  Keep in mind though that Plasmas suffer from burn in.

Read lots of reviews before you buy anything.

paranoia4422

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »

Resolution over picture, lol thats a funny one

Give me the shittiest picture possible, just make sure it has more pixels

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 03:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Sep 16 2006, 05:08 AM) View Post

blink.gif  Thats what i thought, better resolution = better picture, no? I know there is something to do with refresh rate or something though.

Pros and cons
(comparison with LCD and Plasma)

Pros

Slim design (Wall mountable)
Larger than LCD screens
More viewing angles than LCD screens
Better contrast ratio
Fast response time
Cons

Plasma displays are fragile making them difficult to ship and install.
Expensive, although cheaper than LCDs per unit of size at larger sizes.
Older panels were subject to screen burn-in, though for modern panels this effect is caused simply by polarization of the gas particles and can be removed by leaving the screen on a 'snow' or static channel for an hour, depolarising the gas particles.
First 2000 hours is its brightest point. Every hour thereafter, the display gradually dims.
At higher elevations, usually 6000 ft or higher, they exhibit noticeable humming.

^^ From Wikipedia

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »

I looked heavily into tv's a couple of years ago when I was looking to buy my HD bigscreen.  Here's the info I learned, but keep in mind, this was a couple of years ago.

CRT is still the best quality picture out there.  But as mentioned previously, if your looking for a big screen, you won't find it here.  And they're REALLY Heavy.  

Plasma's have an Excellent picture, but they suffer from burn in, which is Very possilble playing video games, or watching ESPN and stuff.  Plus, The shelf life was only like 5 to 6 years before plasma cells started burning out, and there's no way to fix them.  Plasma's are also flat and light enough to hang on a wall.

LCD's are also flat and light enough to hang on a wall as well.  But you want to make sure your sitting a good distance back from them, or else you might experience the "screen door effect".  Where you can actually see every pixel on the screen.  Again, this is only if your sitting close to the TV.

Let's not forget about DLP's now.  That's what I ended up getting for myself a couple of years ago.  Although they are light, they're not flat enough to hang on a wall.  I think my 61" is only 12" deep though.  They have a brighter picture than LCD with better black levels as well.  The downfall with them, is that they perform at their best in a dark room.  In a well light room, the picture just doesn't appear as bright.  One other small thing to keep in mind is that a VERY small percentage of people experience the "rainbow effect" from DLP's.  You can determine if your one of these people by looking at a tv in a department store.  

Well, there's some things to keep in mind.  Overall alot depends on you.  How you'll use it, where you'll use, what size you want, what you want to pay.  Best advice is just go to the store and decide what's best for you by looking at all of the TV's.  Just keep in mind, most of the time in the department stores, the TV's settings arn't properly adjusted as they should be.  Good luck in finding your tv.

Juelz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:44:00 AM »

Thank you So much Evreyone for your help

But does xbox 360 holds  1080p displays ?

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Sep 15 2006, 10:08 PM) View Post

I didn't say I completely sacrifice picture for resolution, it's just that the picture for LCD tv's isn't quite as good as plasmas, but I still chose LCD's.  Take a look at some really nice LCD tv's before you completely discredit them.  I don't have burn in with my display either, and it makes an awesome PC monitor as well.

Juelz

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

so can someone tell me What Tv is holding  1080i ? and whats better  1080i or 720p

Juelz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »

so if ill buy Westinghouse LVM-42w2 with  1080p displays is it  gonna be good quality? i need the best

Juelz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »

thank you so much my friend

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Juelz @ Sep 16 2006, 06:01 PM) View Post

so can someone tell me What Tv is holding  1080i ? and whats better  1080i or 720p

Thats one hard question to answer, some people will say 1080i, some will say 720p. Basically 1080i has 1080 lines of vertical display resolution, but is interlaced. Whereas 720p has 720 lines of vertical display resolution but has progressive scan. Both have pros and cons, i think 1080i is slightly better, but more things are 720p standard, so if you want to be safe go with 720p.

bluvasa

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(Juelz @ Sep 16 2006, 11:18 PM) View Post

so if ill buy Westinghouse LVM-42w2 with  1080p displays is it  gonna be good quality? i need the best

I was going to mention this monitor, as I just bought one this week.

Just google some reviews and you'll find that you get a lot of bang for your buck with this TV.

I got mine at Best Buy for $1619.99 after waiting for the price to drop.

IMHO there is no better flat panel LCD in this size range.

If you want something bigger, there is a 47 in model, though they are kind of hard to find right now.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(bluvasa @ Sep 17 2006, 10:00 AM) View Post

I was going to mention this monitor, as I just bought one this week.

Just google some reviews and you'll find that you get a lot of bang for your buck with this TV.

I got mine at Best Buy for $1619.99 after waiting for the price to drop.

IMHO there is no better flat panel LCD in this size range.

If you want something bigger, there is a 47 in model, though they are kind of hard to find right now.

There's also the LVM-37w3, the 37" version (fairly easy to find for around $1300)
and the LVM-47w1, the 47" version (about $2500)