xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No Microsoft Xbox 360 HDMI Cable  (Read 310 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
No Microsoft Xbox 360 HDMI Cable
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 5 23:54 EST

From joystiq.com:
A newly discovered Gamestop and EB Games listing reveals an Xbox 360 HDMI cable, a rather ponderous product considering the fact that the console does not have the necessary port to accomodate such a miraculous transmissive device. Is it an expensive adapter that automagically goes from the bulky 360 AV connector to an HDMI output? Feel free to entertain such a possibility, so long as you remember that Microsoft wants nothing to do with it. After constantly pestering them for a comment, they informed us that the product was not one of theirs and that "Microsoft has not announced any additional support beyond component video for HD output. MS is watching the market closely and they will continue to evaluate any options in the face of consumer demand."

Read More: joystiq.com

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

im diggin it.  pop.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »

"Yes there will be an HDMI solution in the future".  <there I said it for them.

DaddyO21

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

the link is broken

also for $299 you can get a Component/VGA to HDMI adapter.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »

Yep and for 299$ you can buy another 360.

n00bal3r7

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 11:54:00 PM »

why would you need HDMi  anywayz , cause HDMi comes to his best when having a 1080P media , for all the 1080i media , component is more then enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »

Video : HDMI is important because

1. Upscaling then becomes possible due to MS not having to comply with not allowing analogue upscaling. This is the reason why component dvd playback doesnt upscale currently only vga does.

2. It will support the image constraint token with HDCP. Dont be deluded to think that the studios wont enable this.

Audio: You need HDMI for the new audio formats coming out with HD-DVD

DWZ

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:01:00 AM »

Someone got a cached copy of this EB page? Looks like they have removed it.

awake33

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(n00bal3r7 @ Sep 6 2006, 06:25 AM) View Post

why would you need HDMi  anywayz , cause HDMi comes to his best when having a 1080P media , for all the 1080i media , component is more then enough wink.gif

It is easily proven that component is inferior to even VGA which is still analog.  But the benefit of 1 to 1 pixel mapping from VGA is enormous, images are much sharper.  Obviously HDMI's digital format would be at least as good as VGA if not superior, depending on the scaling engine of the display.

QUOTE(Caldor @ Sep 6 2006, 08:18 AM) View Post

Audio: You need HDMI for the new audio formats coming out with HD-DVD

Any worthwhile HD-DVD or Blueray player will also have optical outputs for audio.  The hardest part for any new audio formats will be deciding on an A/V receiver worthy of your $  biggrin.gif
Most displays will not have anything spectacular for audio built in for many years to come anyway.
Only the most expensive receivers have HDMI at this point in time.

There have been 6.1, 7.1 and even 8.1 channel receivers around for years, but how many movies have you seen encoded with any of these formats?  huh.gif

deecee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »

Well my HDTV doesn't even have HDMI ports not to mention it only goes up to 1080i. If I ever hit the lottery or find a uber paying job then I'll care.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thats the whole reason the market spoonfeeds the technology, always something better coming out, a new feature that you "have" to upgrade to just have another better feature be released, or they revamp the way everthing is done again and you have to start over with all new equipment.

This post has been edited by deecee: Sep 6 2006, 11:12 AM

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 04:13:00 AM »

Finally, 1 thread.

HDMI doesnt mean to much to me. I think theres only 1 tv in my house has HDMI.. and its not in my room...therefore..i dont care...lol.

My tv actually has DVI.. but idk if its DVI-d or DVI-i.. (i think those are the formats right?) So hmm...It only goes up to 1080i though :/

This post has been edited by sicknasty413: Sep 6 2006, 11:14 AM

nectar12

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »

MS is watching the market closely and they will continue to evaluate any options in the face of consumer demand.

man .. that corporate speak makes me want to puke sometimes.
i'm just glad they didnt use the word "experience" like in everything else they say about the 360.

The Bat

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 05:14:00 AM »

After constantly pestering them for a comment, they informed us that the product was not one of theirs and that "Microsoft has not announced any additional support beyond component video for HD output.

Not one of theirs?  Nope, it's listed as being one of Monster Cable's.

They haven't announced any additional support beyond component video?  Nope, they certainly haven't.

Is it my imagination, or was the Microsoft rep pressed into debunking the product without denying its existance?  You know, like how EB Games had Blue Dragon listed for a January 1 2007 release for the past few months up until yesterday.

Not that it matters to me, since my gaming is through stereo A/V cables to a 27" CRT. sleeping.gif

leorimolo

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif wait and see biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 06:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Sep 6 2006, 11:44 AM) View Post

Finally, 1 thread.

HDMI doesnt mean to much to me. I think theres only 1 tv in my house has HDMI.. and its not in my room...therefore..i dont care...lol.

My tv actually has DVI.. but idk if its DVI-d or DVI-i.. (i think those are the formats right?) So hmm...It only goes up to 1080i though :/
DVI-A is VGA, DVI-D is digital video (TMDS) and DVI-I is those two combined in a single interface. Dual-link is two DVI-D interfaces combined for higher resolutions with a single device connected.

My monitor has a HDMI port and claims that it can use HDCP. I simply use a DVI-D male -> HDMI female adapter and a HDMI male -> HDMI male adapter to connect my computer to it. Off course, my computer does not support HDCP and I like it that way. smile.gif

When HDCP is available on content, there probably will be some piece of software to strip it from the media stream. Just wait. wink.gif
Pages: [1] 2