xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ghosting On Crt?  (Read 133 times)

paranoia4422

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« on: July 08, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »

CRT ghosting usually only happens when a white bright image is moving arcoss a black surface, Its odd that kameo is doing it however

tgrinch

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

Yea-- seems odd indeed... but maybe the term "ghosting" isn't what I'm experiencing... maybe it's just the way Kameo's rendering engine is designed, but who knows.  I suppose another way to describe it is the objects on the screen appear to "skip"/drag as i move the camera around, being more apparent the faster I move the screen....

maybe the 360 doesn't have as smooth frame rates as i'm expecting and is just lagging (however, this still happens when there is not much happening on the screen)...

paranoia4422

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(tgrinch @ Jul 9 2006, 04:21 AM) View Post

Yea-- seems odd indeed... but maybe the term "ghosting" isn't what I'm experiencing... maybe it's just the way Kameo's rendering engine is designed, but who knows.  I suppose another way to describe it is the objects on the screen appear to "skip"/drag as i move the camera around, being more apparent the faster I move the screen....

maybe the 360 doesn't have as smooth frame rates as i'm expecting and is just lagging (however, this still happens when there is not much happening on the screen)...

Your probably not use to the 30fps limit on interlaced TV's, and you might be sensitive to scanlines as well huh.gif which is odd because your sony tv is 20inches smaller then my projectiona and resolves 200lines of resolution less then mine, and mines bloated up to 51inches and I cannot see the scanlines at 1080i.

Are you sure the switch on the back of your 360 is set firmly to HD? and you are not seeing scanlines from SD resolutions of 480i?

CattyKid

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

Moving to 360 AV Chat.

paranoia4422

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(tgrinch @ Jul 9 2006, 04:45 PM) View Post

You may have hit the nail on the head with the scanlines issue-- as I move the camera, it looks like an interlaced image (one set of lines moves first, while the second set is a moment behind).  The weird thing is I've tried all the possible resolution settings in the console (480p, 720p, 1080i) and I still notice them.  I did make sure the HD switch is firmly set.  I even tried switching it to "TV" w/component still connected and same symptoms occur.  I will try using the normal composite inputs and see what happens.

Next to the component inputs, it does list the progressive 480p & 720p resolutions, so my TV does support this.  I've also checked the TV menu settings and it is set to Progressive (it also has interlaced and Cinemotion as options).  Then again, maybe I'm sitting too close to the TV! biggrin.gif

huh.gif Are you sure you don't have a rare CRT that does 720p and your playing in 1080i? Whats your tvs make and model

tgrinch

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Jul 9 2006, 02:41 PM) View Post

huh.gif Are you sure you don't have a rare CRT that does 720p and your playing in 1080i? Whats your tvs make and model

I pulled out the manual and the model is a Sony KV-30HS420 Wega, widescreen.  I did a few different configurations, such as trying all the HD resolutions and just trying the normal component cables-- I get the same effect for all the configurations.  It's almost as if the refresh rate needs to be higher.  

Here is a couple of pics:

http://pg.photos.yah...hBjBKFBJvK2dd25

My camera is slow, so I had to keep running around to get the timing right, but notice the translucent shadow around the box as the camera moves-- is this normal, or am I just being picky?  BTW, this is on 720p...

paranoia4422

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 02:28:00 PM »

blink.gif thats really weird

tgrinch

• Archived User
Ghosting On Crt?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

So is every game perfectly smooth for you?--objects don't appear to 'skip' as you drag the camera around?
 I've noticed this in all games (Kameo, GRAW, Hitman, etc..).  Up close, items are fine... its objects in the slight difference that makes it look like the images are being dragged as I move the camera from side to side/up and down in a quick motion.  I haven't been able to see another 360 in action, so I'm not sure if it's my TV or what...