xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Secret HDMI Pact  (Read 331 times)

Martinchris23

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 02:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(FreshOuttaMaps @ Jun 8 2006, 05:55 AM) View Post

I think what it boils down to and what they are doing their best not to say out loud is that 1) the Xbox 360 isn't capable of outputting digital video from its A/V port at all, and 2) there's no need to worry about it because ICT won't be implemented before the following generation of consoles arrive. So it sounds bad on a feature comparison but in reality it doesn't affect people too much. I sure would prefer a DVI cable over VGA, though.

However it does leave the 360 short in terms of playing hi-def CableCard content as a Media Center Extender when all the pieces are in place for that, which definitely does fall within its life cycle, but I don't think MS is too worried about that as its not a major selling point for the console. Without implementing HDCP, MS would need to downgrade the video output.

I can almost guarantee you won't see a further release of a 360 with HDMI. If the figures are correct, by 2010/2012 the 360 and PS3 will be old hat. Just look at the last four years for proof.

The content via VGA isn't too bad and is as close as I think we're gonna get to a high quality output (face it, it's not too shabby!).

For those serious about Home Theater, they are not going to depend on a console for HD-DVD/Bluray playback.

Vidness

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »

Well, it ticks me off that it doesn't do HDMI, BUT...

if future updates allow it to do HD via component, then I'd be 'ok' with that.

My plasma & DLP projection won't tolerate anything less! smile.gif

Madgame

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(Satanic Sheep @ Jun 8 2006, 11:22 AM) View Post

for £425 I'm going to be depending on it for a while!  wink.gif

Then you are not serious about home theater.   laugh.gif

Landlocked

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Straylite @ Jun 8 2006, 04:01 AM) View Post

Since like... forever?!?!

That explains the Memory Stick port in my Xbox.  rolleyes.gif

psychoace

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(paranoia4422 @ Jun 8 2006, 05:45 AM) View Post

The HDCP standard will never survive, you guys are right and someone would lawsuit because alot of thing were sold with HD capabillities before HDCP existed, and its not like piracy wont see a product that takes a  HDMI-HDCP, decrypts it and outputs it to a capture card, its going to happen anyway HDCP is worthless waste of time and money in the long run.

Oh and jesus christ who are they kidding once we have bluray/HD-DVD pc drives they cant stop it from being cracked like every other security implementation

A. This info about the flags being turned off for a while is old news probably 2-3 months old at least

B. HDCP wont die since all the publishers are using it. There is no compitition to go elsewhere so no need to drop in from there perspective.

C.They wont revert the flags until 2010 so by that time a majority of HDTV owners will have HDCP and old schoolers will have old technology. This will make it seem more like a upgrade to the consumer who knows nothing about technology and not a forceful push.

D. MPAA owns the courts

E. Since you are still allowing them to watch the movie but in a restricted format you are less likely to win anything in a suit. You bought the liscense to watch the movie and that is what you got. They delievered on there end if you want to watch it in a higher end format though well your going to have to figure a way to deal with it.

Last is I believe someone has already figured a way around this anyhow. It will allow you to take your HDMI (HDCP) signal from your settop box and throw it into another box that will convert it to dvi or component.

thax

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »

We should see HD-DVD / Blu-ray combo players at a sub 50 dollar price point in 4 years, so when they implement the token there won't be a large backlash. We should start getting news about the next xbox by then as well.

carllfo

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(psychoace @ Jun 8 2006, 04:11 PM) View Post

Last is I believe someone has already figured a way around this anyhow. It will allow you to take your HDMI (HDCP) signal from your settop box and throw it into another box that will convert it to dvi or component.

A very quick and not too indepth google brings up this link about hdcp being 'cracked'
http://www.immaterib...ves/000242.html
I'm sure if we search it should be easy to find somebody making these in our respective countries smile.gif

Vidness

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(psychoace @ Jun 8 2006, 04:11 PM) View Post

E. Since you are still allowing them to watch the movie but in a restricted format you are less likely to win anything in a suit. You bought the liscense to watch the movie and that is what you got. They delievered on there end if you want to watch it in a higher end format though well your going to have to figure a way to deal with it.

Wait a sec.  Even in component when HD DVD comes around, are you saying that the output won't be 720p or greater?  Surely that's not the case.

picopir8

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »

I for one am damn happy M$ decided not to use HDMI.  Myself and one of my friends who were early adopters of HDTV dont have HDMI on our sets.  People like us would have to get new sets just to play blueray/hd-dvds.  Now someone might say that this similar to having to DVDs requiring composite/component/s-video and not offering coax outputs.  However there is a big difference. If you have an older TV then you could always get a converter.  HDMI to component/vga/etc converter boxes are illegal.  So we are forced to break the law or buy another HDTV.

Now that $ony an M$ are making players w/o HDMI, then the pool of people w/o an HDMI interface between the player and TV will be even greater.  This will almost certainly force the movie studios to abandon the HDMI requirement.  None of the movies published in the next two years will require HDMI, but after that it was a bit unclear, now its beginning to look like it will never occur.

epsilon72

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »

well i'm pissed.  no hdmi/dvi = no 1080p video playback!!!! (not that it matters too much anyways, since movies are less than 30 frames per second)

--edit---
oh i get it now.  i'm way too tired...  
They're only counting on the movies being 1080i, which can travel over component.  I've seen HD-DVD's at best buy that say 1080p on the back of the case though, and that res is only possible through HDMI/DVI...

That is kind of sweet that we won't have to worry about HDCP until 2010 though.

xsirxx

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Jun 9 2006, 06:18 AM) View Post

--edit---
oh i get it now.  i'm way too tired...  
They're only counting on the movies being 1080i, which can travel over component.  I've seen HD-DVD's at best buy that say 1080p on the back of the case though, and that res is only possible through HDMI/DVI...

The resolutions arent even 1080p on the monitor.  They are downgraded.  I was an early adopter with component inputs and am quite happy with that, granted my projector actually has to upsample the video from 1080i.  I dont even know a single 1080p source out there, let alone a tv that is mainstream.

Mysoundhurts

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

Unless they start putting games on HD DVD disc than the HD add on is useless to all consumers. Buy a real HD DVD player don't let M$ trick you into downgraded video, remeber Xbox1 and how it was capable of playing HD games? put in tony hawk american wasteland xbox1 720p 1280x720and put in tony hawk american wasteland xbox360 720p 1280x720 hit the native button on your remote and see what one is really HD, same game same resolution, why does xbox 1 look like crap, Becouse they tell you what you want to hear. this is just a way for them, to sale more useless crap, I agree with whoevr said it, anyone who want real theater experiance wont usa a VIDEO GAME console for there dvd player. Sorry M$ but that is what it is, it is not a revolution, it is not a media machine, it is a game system, and a good one why try and make it more than al it can be? (HDMI or DVI is the only way I will buy this for all the M$ reps who keep tabs on forums)
 I dont normally complain or gripe in forums but after reading "we are not becouse sony is not", MS you sound like a child.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 05:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mysoundhurts @ Jun 10 2006, 12:28 AM) View Post

Unless they start putting games on HD DVD disc than the HD add on is useless to all consumers. Buy a real HD DVD player don't let M$ trick you into downgraded video, remeber Xbox1 and how it was capable of playing HD games? put in tony hawk american wasteland xbox1 720p 1280x720and put in tony hawk american wasteland xbox360 720p 1280x720 hit the native button on your remote and see what one is really HD, same game same resolution, why does xbox 1 look like crap, Becouse they tell you what you want to hear. this is just a way for them, to sale more useless crap, I agree with whoevr said it, anyone who want real theater experiance wont usa a VIDEO GAME console for there dvd player. Sorry M$ but that is what it is, it is not a revolution, it is not a media machine, it is a game system, and a good one why try and make it more than al it can be? (HDMI or DVI is the only way I will buy this for all the M$ reps who keep tabs on forums)
 I dont normally complain or gripe in forums but after reading "we are not becouse sony is not", MS you sound like a child.

I think you've missed the boat on this. The HD-DVD addon will be an affordable accessory that will give Xbox 360 owners a stop-gap in HD entertainment. I'm not going to buy a standalone HD-DVD/Bluray player until the price drops significantly.

You do not need HDMI/DVI for HD playback. The VGA output is good enough and since the ICT won't be enabled until after 2010, they'll be no downgrading involved. Four years is a long time and who knows what will be agreed? It's possible the whole ICT goes through another rethink in this time depending on the HD takeup.

Oh and the 360 makes an excellent media machine - it allows me to use MCE and watch HD movies right now, without purchasing anything extra.

Martin

Mysoundhurts

• Archived User
The Secret HDMI Pact
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

In my opinoin Xbox media center for xbox 1 swamps the xbox360 media functions. does anyone agree?
Pages: 1 [2]