xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Finding A Screen For A Projector  (Read 103 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Finding A Screen For A Projector
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 07:01:00 AM »

.2 inches is more then enough to make it blury, couple witht the fact that you move the projector so now it's off angle...

to give you an idea of how sharp the picture is on my screen if you walk up to it and look in close you can litterally count the pixels.

As for the projector hanging up-side down, jsut about all ceiling mounts hang the proejctor upside down, I've never seen a projector that didn't have an option to flip and or invert the image in it's menu (for ceiling or floor mounting, and front or rear projection)

yellowblanket

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »

sleep.gif
 the projector will project a certain number of pixel reguardless what back ground, do u really think it'll notice that u uses wall or board  to project less pixel in certain area>?  
We were talking about how good the wall or board receive/reflect better amount of lighting, look at the back ground area where the word LIVE on both sides

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »

Here are some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about:

IPB Image
The Projector Mount, It's ugly but it was dirt cheap and works really well.

IPB Image
The Screen while not in use (please excuse the mess, I'm in the middle of re-wiring)

IPB Image
Lights off and Projector on, look at that beautiful image, My projector isn't even true HD, it's 1024x768 so it's better then 480p but not nearly as good as 720p, even still the image looks fantastic

IPB Image
A close up, the screen provides a smooth enough and sharp enough image that you can clearly count the pixels... this could easily pass as a close up of an LCD monitor.

IPB Image
A close up of the screen with the lights on and without anything on it, notice the sparkley surface. That's a "Glass Bead" surface, 1000s of tiny glass beads coat the surface, it give the screen a bright reflective surface while keeping the picture sharp and without glare, notice how none of the pictures of the screen have any glare at all like you'd get with a wall or a laminate sheet.

and this was a cheap screen.... I completely agree with handles25 that if you can't spend at least $200 for something 2nd hand you're better off just saving your money until you can get something better.

woofis

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »

wow thats really nice. i have an 80$ gift card to bestbuy and i found this screen http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1130986722363
i know its sold out but i can wait for it to get back in stock. i also found this screen http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do
 my only concern is that it wont fit my screen size... i always see peoples screens and there picture perfectly fits their screen... idk why but my screen size changes if i play 360 or if i play a dvd....

btw: twisted, how do u have your equipment behind your screen like that? dont you have a shitload of wires feeding back to your projector?
EDIT: just realized all you would need is the composite cables running back to your projecter wich isnt that big of a deal... i could do that but i would need like a 20 foot hdtv cable and thatw ould cost way to much.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »

All of the projector's wires (Component Video, VGA, S-Video, Composite) and my rear channels (Left Rear, Right Rear, and Center Rear) all run through the ceiling (since the room is in the basement). so there are 10 or so wires running through the ceiling, If you do this be sure to run the speaker wires separate from your video wires, because the speaker wires have a much higher power and can easily introduce distortion into your picture if the wires run alongside each other for any great length.

I got all of my wires from monoprice.com a 50ft VGA cable only ran me $18, and the other ones (all 50ft) were even cheaper then that.

The screen is about 20" away from the wall to fit all the equipment and the sub-woofer (dead center under the screen). The back wall is also painted flat black to keep any light from reflecting and taking away from the picture.

As for getting the projected image to "fit" on the screen, Most projectors have a zoom function, mine is a manual zoom, basically just a knob next to the focus around the lens where I can zoom in and out. You'll notice the sides of my screen have a 2" black strip, this is completely non-reflective and will turn any light projected on to it into a dark dark black. Ideally you'll zoom the screen such that it will spill over into this strip just slightly. this will give the image a nice SHARP edge and make it really pop.

Hardcore Home Theater enthusiasts will create adjustable top and bottom borders as well that can adjust to fit the various wide-screen formats found in Movies (most movies are WIDER then 16:9 and still letterbox even on widescreen displays). Unfortunately for me the room is too short for my projector to fill my screen, even when zoomed to it's largest it still misses the edges by a few inches. I have a few inches I could move my projector further back, though I don't know if even that would be enough.

As for those two screens you found, I'd DEFINITELY go for the CircuitCity one over the BestBuy one. If for no other reason then it has a silver/gray base as opposed to a white base. A silver/gray will be much better for movies and video games... they call theaters the "Silver Screen" because real movie theater screens are actually silver, not white  wink.gif  White screens are typically used for office applications...
Pages: 1 [2]