xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Samba Problem  (Read 26 times)

cdevlin

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« on: March 23, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »

Hi all.  After following the pinned samba tutorial i can now view all my video files but when i select one to play there is a slight pause but nothing happens. Same problem with divx or xvid. Any ideas?

Xbox-Savage

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »

;) mine works perfect

cdevlin

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »

Got it to work. For some reason videos will only play from sub folders within the shared folder. Qutie annoying but at least now i can play them

Gabster

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »

I have the same problem, but playing stuff in the direct sub-folder doesn't help. I can see files (mp3, movies, pictures, etc.) but when I try to play them I can hear the DVD drive seeking until it automatically skip to the next track/movie/picture. The process goes on until I reboot the whole thing.

Thx

mc_365

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »

Samba? DVD drive?

TracerXtream

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

Yeah mine does the same thing, it's so strange - and this is when trying to stream the file over Samba. With MP3's sometimes it will pause on the one I select to play, then skip to the next, not play it, skip to the next, not play it, until it goes through the whole list, while all the while it sounds like the DVD drive or hard drive is scanning for something. But not like the usual scanning sounds, the kind of sound that makes you worry it's going to break.

Also, I have the other problem with only being able to play files from subfolders. If I try and play any other, the system will freeze for a bit then start acting strange for everything else until it's restarted.

Is Samba really this unreliable that I should go back to relax streaming despite it's slow speeds?

mc_365

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

Delete your whole install of xbmc and re install also delete the 0face008 files in tdata and udata.  Reinstall and set your cache levels to 1024 for video and 256 for music on the Lan. This is what worked for me after similar problems with samba and mp3s.  I had no video stream abillity at all for a while.  Now mp3s are fine but videos are sperratic files that stream fine last month now stream sometimes and sometimes not.  I dont  know if its a bug in samba or in cvs.

Gabster

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

I'm affraid the problem is hidding somewhere else. I deleted everything, cleaned up 0face008 folders and installed the most recent build I could find (march 31st) but still no music/videos/etc. The only improvement is that the DVD drive isn't accessed anymore, still mp3's keep on skipping to the next track, to the next track, to the next track, etc. Note: I'm able to play mp3 that are on the harddrive so this is really a smaba issue.

Thanks

TracerXtream

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »

Really? Because I got the same build (March 31st), deleted the 0face008 in the Tdata and Udata folders and everthing worked better. I didn't change any cache values or anything, and now MP3's work great from both the main directory and subdiretories.

The only thing it still won't do is play videos from the main directory - only ones in subdirectories play without problems. The ones in the main directory won't play, but rather lock up the system for a few seconds and then the hard drive starts making those weird scanning noises I mentioned earlier. Needless to say, things are finally starting to get better with each build it seems.

nospoon

• Archived User
Samba Problem
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »

I also have the same problem - movies in the root of the samba share won't play, but if they are in a sub directory in the share, they will.