xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wma And Streamed Mp3 Still Choppy (3-9)  (Read 50 times)

Agrajag

• Archived User
Wma And Streamed Mp3 Still Choppy (3-9)
« on: March 23, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »

Is ANYONE getting these to play without being choppy?

The build prior to 2-12 was fine for WAV files and MP3, then came 2-12 and I moved to the supported WMA Lossless and noted that all audio files I played, either locally on the XBOX Hard Drive or SMB streamed from my PC were very choppy.

Then came word that the cache settings were incorrect in 2-12 but had been corrected in a CVS so I awaited the next build. 3-9 showed up and, of course, luck was against me as my family room was being dismanted for a renovation project. I JUST now got 3-9 installed and running. It came right up (can't wait for the old skins to work again, though this one isn't too bad) but all the music was just as choppy as before.

I tried various Cache settings in the new, very welcome, onscreen settings but no setting had ANY affect on the problem.

I really want to get rid of my CD carousel but can't until audio plays properly.

Can anyone offer any help?

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 09:01:00 AM »

bump

Butcher_

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »

My streamed mp3s have never been choppy...

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »

That's very concerning. I can't imagine what specifically would cause my XBOX to give me totally choppy audio. Nothing I do can clean it up. I can reduce it to a point where it's nearly gone by playing 128kbps MP3's but it still misses a bit once in a while there. Anything beyond that is risky. It's not the internal hard drive because streamed music also has the same problem. VERY frustrating. Audio is the main reason I got the mod and went with XBMC. The reason I think it's the software is that older versions had no trouble and XBMP has no problems.

NOLF

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 01:50:00 AM »

if it happens only with streamed , your cable might be fucked

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »

It happens with streams and music stored on the XBOX hard drive which is why I'm pretty sure it's XBMC. And like I said, if I run the January release or XBMP, I have no such choppiness. It all started with the February build.

riffraff

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 11:10:00 AM »

I have the same experience as Butcher - I've never had any problems with playing mp3's, streamed or non-streamed.

This post has been edited by riffraff: Mar 25 2004, 07:10 PM

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

Is anyone out there playing anything other than MP3's with or without incident?

riffraff

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (Agrajag @ Mar 26 2004, 04:29 AM)
Is anyone out there playing anything other than MP3's with or without incident?

I play the following audio formats without problem: mp3 and aac.

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 08:42:00 PM »

No problems for me either.

Maybe you can provide details about the formats you are playing that are choppy.

Or even upload samples to http://www.nightfalltech.com/upload/index.asp

TS

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »

EVERY audio file I'm playing is choppy. However, most of my audio is either in WAV format (soon to change) or WMA 9 Lossless format though I do have a bunch of MP3 data though I don't want to end up there for most of my music (long list of reasons).

What sort of samples did you have in mind? The songs in question? Whole file? A portion?  Did you want a recording of the choppiness? If so, how do I get that?

I can play a wave file in XBMP, the January release of XBMC and not have it have a problem and then try it in the latter XBMC releases and it'll be choppy.

This post has been edited by Agrajag: Mar 26 2004, 07:36 AM

tslayer

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 05:12:00 AM »

If your music file is not large, then upload the whole thing.

TS

GenEriq

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 06:16:00 AM »

Since you have it working, hopefully you don't mind me asking - do you need to add a codec to XBMC to support WMA? When I try to play them, I hear a split second looped (or at least it sounds like).

Thanks

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

I didn't add anything. It didn't start working for me until the February release but, as noted, it was choppy. I assumed it was just initial support and would improve but it hasn't. What got me thinking it wasn't the format was when I realized all the audio files I have did the same thing.

UPDATE. Good news and bad news.

It appears the cache changes in 3-9 have addressed my problems with WAV files, MP3's and anything EXCEPT WMA9 Lossless files. Those are still choppy. I hadn't had a chance to really dig into the 3-9 release and when my WMA files were still choppy I assumed the others were too. Much to my surprise I was finally able to stream a full, 40MB audio WAV file without a single hiccup. First time that's happened.

I'll upload a smaller WMA9 Lossless file to the site above. Forgive the song. It's small so that's the point. It's Simon and Garfunkel in a transition piece called "Bookends". The reason I chose it is that it's small and really shows the problem well.

I could change formats now but WMA9 Lossless really works well for me. It's supported natively in Windows Media Player, Winamp 5, the Media Player series and many others. Plus it supports tagging and such. I'd switch to another lossless format (the format I use must be lossless at a minimum) if I could find one with solid support in popular PC-based players but WMA9 Lossless is the only one that gets support across them all it seems. FLAC would be nice but then I wouldn't be able to easily play them on my PC.

So please listen to this file and then let me know if you're hearing what I'm hearing. Hopefully it's just an update of the codec and we're home free.

This post has been edited by Agrajag: Mar 26 2004, 04:43 PM

Agrajag

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

All attempts to upload the zipped file (5mb) ends with this:

MS JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Field 'comments.sizep' cannot be a zero-length string.

/upload/login.asp, line 400