xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Making Vga Cable With Optical Output  (Read 40 times)

MidnightFC3S

• Archived User
Making Vga Cable With Optical Output
« on: January 22, 2006, 05:53:00 AM »

well, you can pick up the Mad Catz 15 foot VGA cable with optical audio out.

http://www.gameseek....A-Cable#prodimg

I bought this sucker on eBay the other day for 30.00 total, but apparently you can get it for as low as 20.00 .  I bought it to use on the projectors at my school.  While the pros include optical audio out and a 15 foot cord, the cons would most definitely be the actual video quality.  Even though I was able to achieve 1280x1024 (the highest 4:3 resolution), there was a crappy 'ghosting' effect to everything that had medium to high contrast.  And the image overall is very washed out and overexposed.  I had to turn the gamma setting waaaaay down in the actual game for the brightness and contrast to appear more closer to my component setup on my hdtv.  If you see in the picture, the vga cord itself is SUPER THIN.  I never thought a cord this thin could even transmit high resolution video.  But anyway, for the money, and especially the length, it's not to bad.  You could probably even get higher quality wire and replace the existing, but that'll be 15 feet of cord to buy.  But it doesn't have to be  that long.  But if you want optical audio, there it is.