xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is This A Good Hdtv  (Read 359 times)

Mjkthirdeye

• Recovered User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »

NTSC tuner is just your standard definition cable tuner. just incase you still wanted to know.

babanoosh

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(linkpwns @ Jan 17 2006, 04:31 PM) View Post

this tv is mainly gonna be used for the 360 anyways, i dont really care about watching G4TV on an hd tv lol

Plus, if you ever want to watch anything besides your locals; Over The Air ATSC (HD), you'll need a reciever (or cable card connection) anyway. So if the TV is lacking a tuner (which many are), it's not such a bad thing.

EDIT: I forgot to add. I have a 27" Zenith HDTV CRT monitor bought a couple of years ago for the bedroom,and let me just say full screen HDTVs are not worth it, IMO. I don't mind watching movies with black bars (actually even prefer it sometimes) but games; it's just annoying on an already small screen.

thursdayniac

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »

i have a question.. i jsut bought an HD-ready tv (philips)... i know that i have to buy an hd receiver to watch tv in high def.. but i wont have to buy the reciever to just play xbox in high def right?

linkpwns

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »

so wait, i dont really wanna watch locals, im subscribed to direct tv, ill still be able to watch normal tv from direct tv, right?

babanoosh

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(linkpwns @ Jan 17 2006, 04:44 PM) View Post

so wait, i dont really wanna watch locals, im subscribed to direct tv, ill still be able to watch normal tv from direct tv, right?

yes, through your DirectTV reciever via your svideo or composite video cable. What I'm saying is TVs with built in HD tuners allow you to watch ONLY your locals in high def via an antenna.. that's it (exception cablecard, which consequently sucks in its own right because you lose many on screen funtionalities, though it's a step in the right direction).

linkpwns

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

I think now im buyin the toshiba, considering u all said that other one, the flat screen, the advent one...that one looked really nice being a flat screen...or was that one hd, so now im deciding between the toshiba and the advent, any concluding advice?

linkpwns

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

really? Your probably right...it is widescreen, major plus, but the advent is flat screen (crt or lcd, idk), which would make it good for my small room...ehh ill wait for some more opinions, and if toshiba wins, my full trust is in u

babanoosh

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(linkpwns @ Jan 17 2006, 05:17 PM) View Post

really? Your probably right...it is widescreen, major plus, but the advent is flat screen (crt or lcd, idk), which would make it good for my small room...ehh ill wait for some more opinions, and if toshiba wins, my full trust is in u

What is right to YOU is the question? There is no "one size fits all" right or wrong. If space is a factor then obviously a smaller form factor weighs heavily in your decision. I wouldn't buy a single one of them, but that's just me. Some people don't mind black bars while gaming, but I do so I think the Advent is no good. The Philips you won't even be able to hook up to your 360 (in HD), unless you find some sort of HDMI to component Video adapter (if there even is one). The Toshiba is big, as are all CRTs.

For me:
Based on everything available now, I'd go with a plasma. Hopefully SED is released this year at a reasonable cost, in the 40-52" range, then my decision will be even easier.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure they're all flat screen.

linkpwns

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Jan 17 2006, 06:56 PM) View Post

What is right to YOU is the question? There is no "one size fits all" right or wrong. If space is a factor then obviously a smaller form factor weighs heavily in your decision. I wouldn't buy a single one of them, but that's just me. Some people don't mind black bars while gaming, but I do so I think the Advent is no good. The Philips you won't even be able to hook up to your 360 (in HD), unless you find some sort of HDMI to component Video adapter (if there even is one). The Toshiba is big, as are all CRTs.
For me:
Based on everything available now, I'd go with a plasma. Hopefully SED is released this year at a reasonable cost, in the 40-52" range, then my decision will be even easier.
EDIT: I'm pretty sure they're all flat screen.

well, im short on cash, im gonna go with the toshiba, it seems like a good starter, i just hate black bars...yuck...so im gonna go with the toshiba. Size is an option, but i have enough room for a 26 inch where my 19 inch is now...that shouldnt be much of a problem...so thats fine, but if it were 30 inches or more, id be with trouble for space...

but i think the philips has hd component imputs too, but i like the toshiba for its price...

Vlad the Impaler

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »

My first hi def tv was Advent. I would NOT buy it. The pic quality was terrible. I saw verticle lines all over the screen.

thax

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

If you can't find the native resolution on a set then assume the worst, 480i. You might as well just buy a cheapo TV.

Vlad the Impaler

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 12:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(thax @ Jan 18 2006, 06:16 AM) View Post

If you can't find the native resolution on a set then assume the worst, 480i. You might as well just buy a cheapo TV.

My friend has a 30" HDTV Sony Widescreen CRT TV and the XBOX 360 look AMAZING on 1080i. No black bars.. nothing. With this TV, the 360 is truely next generation. The TV was 799.

thax

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(Vlad the Impaler @ Jan 18 2006, 08:31 AM) View Post

My friend has a 30" HDTV Sony Widescreen CRT TV and the XBOX 360 look AMAZING on 1080i. No black bars.. nothing. With this TV, the 360 is truely next generation. The TV was 799.

Sounds good to me, you can't really go wrong for 800 dollars if you are impressed by the output when compared to SDTV.

babanoosh

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(thax @ Jan 18 2006, 11:28 AM) View Post

Sounds good to me, you can't really go wrong for 800 dollars if you are impressed by the output when compared to SDTV.

My 27" Zenith CRT HDTV monitor is a piece of shit. I paid close to $700 for it sad.gif  It's a full screen sad.gif sad.gif  The OSD goes in an out, requring me to slap the side of it from time to time sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif Zenith opted for a VCR button on the remote instead of a DVD sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif  

I'm not telling anyone about the OSD when I sell it, just gotta make sure I give it a good kick before they check it out smile.gif

Vlad the Impaler

• Archived User
Is This A Good Hdtv
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(thax @ Jan 18 2006, 06:28 PM) View Post

Well I cracked and bought this Sony 30 inch widescreen high def TV from best buy for 799! Oh my god it is INCREDIBLE! The widescreen, the 1080i output, the XBOX 360. The games look AMAZING.

I was alone moving it into my house and I had to get it down the stairs. In the process I dropped the TV and it went BOOM. I said "NOOOOOOOO" I just broke my TV... but I hooked it up and it worked fine... a couple plastic pieces broke off the bottom but it works thank god.

Widescreen makes ALL the difference in the world... I'm psyched... Can't wait to get home and play this. I got that new game Condemned, at it looks like real life.

GET THE SONY 30" WIDESCREEN TRINITRON for just 799 it's amazing! Here it is!

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1077628885856

I'm in love. Who needs a girlfriend.

And make sure you set your xbox 360 settings to 1080i output. No black bars or anything.

This damn XBOX 360 is breaking me. First it's the XBOX itself. Then the games for 60 a piece. Then you want a good TV. What the hell is next? Can I pay my bills next month? Being a gamer is like being addicted toa hardcore drug. What's next, a high priced surround sound system? The sad part is I'll ONLY be using this TV for the XBOX 360. I need help!
Pages: 1 [2] 3