xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help Buying A Hdtv  (Read 87 times)

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« on: January 10, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »

im looking to buy a 50" or larger hdtv for about $1000 or less(give or take).so im wanting to know What Should I Buy?

someone near me has a Hitachi 61" 61swx10b for $900 OBO(most likely can get it for $700-$800),they say its always worked 100% with no probs and was used by his parents so i doubt theres a whole lot of use on it.

or should i go for a new one from walmart or bestbuy?something like the
Magnavox 51MP392H 51"
RCA HD52W59 51"
RCA  D52W20 52"

from what i can gather the only down side to the Hitachi is that it doesnt have any DVI or HMDI inputs(i cant find out for sure tho)but i dont have anything right now that uses thos inputs and 2 its used.

im not wanting the best,i just want to get a Big Screen thats HD with a good picture so i can get the most out of a 360.

can you guys look around for me and give me your HO on what i should do?i just dont want to spend $1000 only to get a POS..

also how much more power would a 50-61" RPTV use over a 32" sony?

This post has been edited by ThUgLoVe: Jan 10 2006, 07:18 PM

C o s m o

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »

There is an HDTV guide linked in my sig.  There are some brand/model recommendations in the article.  I'd suggest giving it a good read...I found it very interesting.

As for a personal suggestion; I understand the desire to go on the cheap now and look at upgrading later.  But, later might cost you more or who knows.  I'd save-up an extra month or 2 and get one a little better than whatever you are considering now.  Get one with a built-in ATSC (digital) tuner.  Also, get one that has HDMI input and can display 720p.  This will maximize your 360 playing experience later when HDMI is released for the 360 and you are gaming at 60fps. (All my personal opinion.  You need to be happy with whatever you pick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(C o s m o @ Jan 10 2006, 01:49 PM) *

There is an HDTV guide linked in my sig.  There are some brand/model recommendations in the article.  I'd suggest giving it a good read...I found it very interesting.

As for a personal suggestion; I understand the desire to go on the cheap now and look at upgrading later.  But, later might cost you more or who knows.  I'd save-up an extra month or 2 and get one a little better than whatever you are considering now.  Get one with a built-in ATSC (digital) tuner.  Also, get one that has HDMI input and can display 720p.  This will maximize your 360 playing experience later when HDMI is released for the 360 and you are gaming at 60fps. (All my personal opinion.  You need to be happy with whatever you pick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

so your saying that either of those TV's i listed sucks?

C o s m o

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »

No, actually the HD52W59 looks decent as long as you have a little bit of room (my father-in-law has one).  It also has a built-in tuner.  But I think it'll only do 1080i which looks great but is only 30fps.  Most would agree that 60fps is better for fast gaming

The other beef I have with this set is that is only has 1 component input and 1 DVI input.  If you are going to have anything else hooked into the TV besides the 360 and one other thing, this is not good.

But as far as picture quality and cost, it's not a terrible TV.

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

no one else wants to chime in?

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

to be honest first of all ignore any 720p vs 1080i bullshit, 60fps vs 30fps isnt really going to give you any advantage really....at most interlace artifacts will be gone but the arguement isnt even worth it

i wouldnt buy and RCA, id probably by the aspect by hitachi as long as you have an external tuner

1080i haters just bought fixed pixel displays is all

This post has been edited by Ballz2TheWallz: Jan 12 2006, 12:44 AM

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ballz2TheWallz @ Jan 11 2006, 06:14 PM) *

to be honest first of all ignore any 720p vs 1080i bullshit, 60fps vs 30fps isnt really going to give you any advantage really....at most interlace artifacts will be gone but the arguement isnt even worth it

i wouldnt buy and RCA, id probably by the aspect by hitachi as long as you have an external tuner
1080i haters just bought fixed pixel displays is all

yeah thats what i thought.anyways i went to look at the HD52W59 and 61swx10b both were $700 but the HD52W59  was only a month old..my only gripe about either was NBA 2k6 LOOKED LIKE DOG $%#^ on both of the tvs.it looked like a ps1 game with all the jaged edges around the players.

is this normal for a big screen or is it that the TV's just suck or is it just some settings?i was useing the stock xbox rca's as i didnt feel like pulling my s-video cable out and MS dash didnt have anything to change for video besides 4:3 or 16:9 and nither looked any diff...

outside of that the HD52W59 looked really good aside from some of the cable ch's being fuzzy,but thats just the cable company as it like that with my 32" now.Battlefield 2 looked and played great outside of being just a tad dim..i just dont know why NBA 2k6 looked so bad...

Ballz2TheWallz

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »

well if it was using compsite it was running 480i(640x480) yeah it would look like shit being blown up that much

did you already buy it? buy a dvd calibration disk and ask on the avs forums about what tweaks you should do in the service menu to make it look better

This post has been edited by Ballz2TheWallz: Jan 12 2006, 05:17 AM

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ballz2TheWallz @ Jan 11 2006, 10:47 PM) *

well if it was using compsite it was running 480i(640x480) yeah it would look like shit being blown up that much

did you already buy it? buy a dvd calibration disk and ask on the avs forums about what tweaks you should do in the service menu to make it look better

yeah i was useing the stock RCA's(red white and yellow).how can you tell what format you are running in?as i didnt see anything in the menus about that..

im not use to all this stuff so i thought a RCA connection would run in the same format as a s-video would,but just like the old school TV's it wouldnt be as clear.and no i didnt buy it because im going to look at a 1year old 55"  Mitsubishi tomorrow or the next day.

so if i buy the HD AV Pack it will clean up all that PS1 junk and the xbox will run in 1080I mode?

also do you know if that rca has any prob's with it breakin down alot?becuase im really leaning its way with a $700 price.outside of the rca the only one i can find with a turner and either a dvi or hmdi input for under $1400 is this one http://refurbelectronics.com/57hx94-rb.html but i dont think the Toshiba will be worth the extra $700...

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

the last 3 RCA devices I purchased were all dead out of the box... I don't buy RCAs anymore...

I would consider testing an HDTV without component video cables or better completely useless and a waste of time. 90% of HDTVs look like complete and utter junk through composite or S-video connection not only that but the scaler is working in full force so there's probably a lot of lag... it'd be like test driving a Ferrari after filling it with diesel fuel, slashing the tires and then wondering why it drives like crap.

Also, at this point I wouldn't buy any HDTV that didn't have a digital video port (HDMI/DVI) with HDCP. The DVD consortium requires that any Movie displayed in HD must be viewed through an HDCP secured connection... That means that without an HDCP HDMI or DVI port you wont ever watch an HD-DVD, Blu-Ray Disc, or standard DVD movie out of a LEGAL upscaling DVD player in anything greater then 480p.

If you want to watch HD movies on it outside of the trailers you download in the XBL market place, you need an HDCP capable port.

Unless MS gets some special pardon I can guarantee you the External HD-DVD drive they're planning... will only output in HD through an HDMI output.

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 12 2006, 10:46 AM) *

the last 3 RCA devices I purchased were all dead out of the box... I don't buy RCAs anymore...

Also, at this point I wouldn't buy any HDTV that didn't have a digital video port (HDMI/DVI) with HDCP.

the RCA has been used for about a month,so no worries about DOA,and it has a DVI HDCP port on it..

C o s m o

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 12 2006, 09:46 AM) *

My father-in-law's was too.  Apparently he moved it on the carptet and it blew the bulb or something.
QUOTE(ThUgLoVe @ Jan 12 2006, 12:10 AM) *
how can you tell what format you are running in?as i didnt see anything in the menus about that..
RCA (Yellow, red, white) cables only do 480i.

This post has been edited by C o s m o: Jan 12 2006, 05:45 PM

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
Need Help Buying A Hdtv
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »

do you guys think this would be a wise buy? http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=57HX94x

$1300 shiped.onlything that worries me about buying online is that 1 i cannt see the TV and 2 what if its DOA or something goes wrong down the road?

im just kinda stuck here because the only places around us with big screens are walmart,kmart,CC and bestbuy and all of them only have TV's in our price range that are no better then the used RCA so why pay all that extra money?

only ones that i can find used around me are
55" Mitsubishi ws-55513 $800 year old but its in storage and they dont know when they will have it out for viewin
60" Hitachi 61swx10b $700 about 4 years old but it has marks all over the screen.
52" RCA D52w20 $700 month old in great shape(thought it was the HD52W59)

new ones are
REX 51" Aspect 51M200 $999+4% tax-51" Toshiba 51H84 $1200+4% or 10% tax
CC same +  52" RCA HD52W59 $1139+ 10% tax
Bestbuy cheapest they had in was a $1700 sony + 10% tax

but if i buy online and something goes wrong yeah thay may give me a refund but it will be - all the shipping costs and that could top $500 EASYLY...