xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: This Damn Cable!  (Read 134 times)

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« on: October 17, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »

i decided to order a dvi(m) to vga(m) cable wich arrived today. ill link you to a nic pic of the one i bought. im trying to use my hdtv as my monitor
 unfortunetly it wont fit in the dvi plug on my tv!! niether the website OR my tv manual specified a dvi type so i figuerd this would do the trick.  it fits fine into my pc the near the top of the dvi connector there is a long flat pin surroned by i belive 4 regual skinny pins, on my tv's dvi connection it doesnt have a spot for those 4 pins around the long flat pin. this was certainly dissapointing,  it was quite the process even finding this cable. can this be fixed by me? or some kind of converter?  or do i need a whole new cable?

heres the cable i have
http://www.newegg.co...s...V1006 - OEM

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »

You have the wrong digital plug in; you'll need a whole new cable.

Do some more research on your tv, and find which cable will work.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »

what other research can i do on my tv that wouldnt be in the manual or spec sheet?

my tv: http://product.samsu.....P2775HX%2fXAA

and this looks like it may solve my problem  http://www.cablestog...d=110&sku=27602

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »

this image of the adapter looks like i could plug the dvi part of my cable in the femal end, and the male end doesnt have those 4 small pins around the flat one, wich appears to be what i need for my tv.
can anyone confirm this?
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »

Oh, so all that was wrong with the cable was you had the wrong gender end.  Then all you need is a gender changer; just like the one you have posted.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 06:57:00 AM »

another problem that could have been solved by looking at the stickies:

user posted image

There are 3 types of DVI cables

DVI-D

DVI-I
and
DVI-A

DVI-D is digital only, DVI-A is analog only and DVI-I carries both... Since a VGA signal is Analog only it can only ever convert into DVI-A or DVI-I... converting to DVI-D requires the use of a $200+ converter (it's not just a plug adapter).

From the input on your TV, it sounds like it only accepts DVI-D (per the image above). Typically when devices like TVs and monitors have a DVI-I port they will either come with a VGA adapter or a VGA port alongside the DVI port.

DVI-A ports are rarely used ever (I've personally never seen one)

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »

oops,  my fault,   but this adapter looks like i could plug my dvi-i cable into the femal end, and use the dvi-d male end on my tv.  im confused,  and probably getting on twisted's nerves......:]

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(NeuroChemist @ Oct 18 2005, 06:58 PM)
oops,  my fault,   but this adapter looks like i could plug my dvi-i cable into the femal end, and use the dvi-d male end on my tv.  im confused,  and probably getting on twisted's nerves......:]

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

thanx for that link.
i probably didnt explain my problem well enough, ill try again.

im trying to use my tv as a monitor through vga(mypc) to dvi(my tv)

ill give you the names of my inputs/outputs as they are called on that site you linked me to.

My tv appears to have the Dual LInk DVI-D input

the vga2dvi cable i recived has a male dvi end but it doesnt look like ANY of the ones on that page, the closest match is single link dvi-i, but if those little black boxes are sposes to represent actual pins rather than spots for pins, than that isnt the one either

so i need to convert the end of this cable to match a dual link dvi-d pinout.....i found this at cables2go user posted image

it appears the female end would accept the cable i have now, and the male end would fit my tv heres,the pic's of both ends of this converter
user posted image
user posted image

so what do you think? this would appear to solve my problem.....since dvi d carries anolog and digital i would think it would work.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

thanx for that link.
i probably didnt explain my problem well enough, ill try again.

im trying to use my tv as a monitor through vga(mypc) to dvi(my tv)

ill give you the names of my inputs/outputs as they are called on that site you linked me to.

My tv appears to have the Dual LInk DVI-D input

the vga2dvi cable i recived has a male dvi end but it doesnt look like ANY of the ones on that page, the closest match is single link dvi-i, but if those little black boxes are sposes to represent actual pins rather than spots for pins, than that isnt the one either

so i need to convert the end of this cable to match a dual link dvi-d pinout.....i found this at cables2go user posted image

it appears the female end would accept the cable i have now, and the male end would fit my tv heres,the pic's of both ends of this converter
user posted image
user posted image

so what do you think? this would appear to solve my problem.....since dvi d carries anolog and digital i would think it would work.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

yup...

If you're TV is a DVI-D then to convert from VGA you'll need one of these puppies:

http://www2.dvigear....atodvicosc.html

Twobee

• Archived User
This Damn Cable!
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

I have the same kind of connector on my 32" Zenith (LG) HDTV which is about 1.5 years old I had originally tried what you are trying and even made my own VGA to Component Cable which didnt work lmao, anyway I will tell you that even with a DVI to DVI cable you will still only be limited to a 920 X 540 resolution in windows and to get it to display right you will have to run powerstrip and fool with it, also since your set is 4:3 like mine you will have to run it in letterbox which sucked for me cuz dvds played back in the PC fit PERFECT but when I tried using if for a desktop it was badly overscanned.... the solution that worked for me which im using to type this message atm =) was A box very similar to this one http://www.grandtec.com/hiwire.htm]
 the only difference I can see is that mines called the HiVision II I think its just a lil older version or something, I got mine off eBay for about 100 bucks and it was worth every penny, my only gripe about it is that the component video out on it is a propriatary connector so the cable itself cannot be upgraded (I have monster on most of my components)

oh btw also another thing I was gonna mention about your particular model of samsung set, that tv has a native resolution of 1080i and though it supports 720P essentially it downconverts to 540P so be warned that that is kind of a crappy cap though its still a bit better than ED 480P resolution.

Hope this info helps ya out bud.

-Twobee