xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Which HDTV/Monitor Should I buy?  (Read 1773 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Which HDTV/Monitor Should I buy?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »

Yeah it really depends on your tastes... and sometimes the device you're using... My DLP projector looks much crisper at 1080i than it does at 720p... while my friends Plasma looks way better in 720p than it does in 1080i

Some screens it's debatable... both resolutions have their benefits and drawbacks..

regardless of the HD resolutions 480p is always better than 480i, and anything HD is better than both of those.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2005, 07:33:00 PM »

If your cabinet space supports a 30-34" 4:3 tv, that is a whole different deal than a 30-34" 16:9 tv.
Make sure you don't get a 30-34" 16:9 widescreen tv because it won't fit in your cabinet space.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »

thanx for the replies
so one is no better than the other?  its really a matter of pref.?
i mean it looks damn good anyway i play but i have noticed things that are usually darker than thier surrondings (like master chiefes human weapons) are almost jet black.....i guess thats the best i can explain it

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »

Check your contrast and stuff like that.

MrBones

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(whet1134 @ May 31 2005, 12:04 PM)
Nothing against you Sp3cialk, but in my experience, Mitsu's are junk.  Perhaps you're one of the lucky ones... or I'm one of the unlucky ones... but their TV's are sub-par, IMO.  I think it was very wise of you to buy the service plan.  beerchug.gif  Not a fan of their cars either now that I think about it.

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »

One of the cheapest, most basic progressive scan tvs (480i/480p) is the Samsung 2745p.

here

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »

I don't care who created the tubes in TVs today, but it appears everybody else perfected them except Mitsu.  Until recently, Mitsu has had washed out fuzzy bigscreens... horrible pictures compared to most of the other big names. (Hideous asthetics too... but that's my opinion, lol)

Not sure which Mitsu you have currently, but if you were to compare it to a DLP (RCA, Samsung, and whatever other company uses DLP now) I still doubt it's better.  But I do have to say that I'm impressed that Mitsu finally came out with some decent TVs the past year or so (maybe 2).

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2005, 11:58:00 PM »

tongue.gif  You can't go wrong with a cheaper 20 some inch samsung, they are relatively cheap and very nice quality.

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »

The Sanyos are very nice too, along the same price border, and supports 720p resolutions very nicely (upscales nicely to 1080i).

thesideinguy

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »

i have a 64 inch JVC D series, and i play games on it all the time.
i have had it for about a year now and have no burned spots.

grego9198

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »

I have a 47" Panny RPTV, 0 burn in issues after 1 year of casual gaming on it. You won't have a problem with burn in as long as you don't play the same game exclusively for the life of the tv with the contrast and brightness turned to the max. If you do decide to get one, turn down the contrast/brightness to proper levels, use a calibration disc to get the levels just right, it'll reduce the chance of getting burn in.

If you are really paranoid about burn in, buy a dlp for gaming you won't have the motion issues that are associated with some LCD tvs. That's my opinion.

crosseye

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2005, 11:23:00 AM »

I've had a 51" HD RPTV for 3 years now. I had the TV for two years when I was in college and the only time the xbox was not running on it was on Sunday (apparently a holy day for my two roomates from Indiana to watch Nascar and Green Bay). My tv has been through probably what some would call extreme abuse for the testing of burn in. To this day there is not one instance of even remote burn in on my tv. I was probably overly worried at first, but as long as common sense rules in your world, you will NEVER have a problem. You can play ANY game for as long as you want and I can't say you will screw up your tv. You've got to remember, even on games with huds that never move, there are lots of time while playing when the hud does not exist, cutscene, loading, etc. The only time you should even be worried is if you pause a game, disappear from the earth for a whole day, and then come back only to realize your game is still paused. Seriously though, just don't pause a game for 3 hours.

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

grr.gif

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Oh and let me add Ive played games like halo continuously for as much as 14 hours straight for lan parties...so dont worry about many hours at a time..again, turn that shitty ass contrast down. I cant stand when people crank their contrast and brightness...drives me  grr.gif

I think we played brute force lan for like 19 hours straight...xbox nor tv were turned off.

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »

smile.gif  never again can you watch a tv thats not hd and not bitch about how shitty the picture is........
anyone notice things that used to be a little dark on a reg. tv look alot darker in hd?  is this normal?   ive tried playing in all my video modes and even set a custom one.......anyone experienced anything simialr? and what do you guys think is the best setting (480,1080,720)  for xbox on a 27inch hd tv?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »

I agree with most above... I'd personally go for DLP but if you can't afford it then just don't be stupid... TVs these days hold up A LOT better against burn in than they used to.

I used to work in an arcade so I've seen my share of burn in... those machines show the same thing constantly for about 17-18 hours a day. The newer the game the less susceptible they are to burn in... games stay for about 10 years before they stop making good money and go into storage for parts.... firing up some of the older games in storages made in the late 80s or so you'd see substantial burn in... compare that to more recent games ending their 10 years which usually had none at all.

You can see this yourself in store displays that show console games all day. I remember the old SNES demo consoles that would have "SUPER MARIO WORLD" burned into the screen no matter what. But newer displays don't seem to have that problem as much.

I'm sure it varies from brand to brand but as long as you're smart about it (like others have said, don't leave it paused for a day or two, tune it properly and don't crank the brightness and contrast, etc.) and you should be just fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14