xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Thaw Gap Help  (Read 1595 times)

m_hael

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »

good to hear you liked it, what elements did/didn't you like... I can pass them on to the design team here.

Deftech

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Feb 27 2006, 01:20 AM) View Post

good to hear you liked it, what elements did/didn't you like... I can pass them on to the design team here.

offtopic but have the team start work on GUN 2, and make it only for next gen consoles.

ok exiting....

m_hael

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 12:56:00 AM »

lol - "THE TEAM" you say.... we have 4 teams, Engine, GEL, Game1 and Game2.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Feb 26 2006, 03:14 PM) View Post

only need 3 more gaps... all in the ranch, 2 story specific... the billboard wallride one in the couch area is the only one currently giving me troubel... ive wallriden the billboard sticking out of the ground by the spinning thing every way possible but it doesn't register... hmmm  dry.gif

The billboard wall ride one took me forever... but it's stupid simple once you figure it out... basically you want to walride and wally off of the bill board and get as much height and distance as you possibly can. The gab seems to register based on you landing a certain distance away from the wall no that you wallied off of it.

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Feb 26 2006, 07:32 PM) View Post

just got all the gaps, now i need to go back and do 30 more missions in normal and all of sick... do you need to do all the bike stuff? or do they just reappear like the cash and graffiti guys(assuming these guys do)?

You DO need to do all the bike stuff, all the vendor challenges, all the graffiti challenges (there is a set number), and of course all the missions. Once after each skate ranch piece Mindy will have score challenges for you to trick off of that piece, it doesn't show up in the list of challenges but I think you need to do all of those as well (it's hard for me to know for sure because I did all of this stuff BEFORE I got all the gaps).

QUOTE(the_iLLmatic_one @ Feb 26 2006, 09:45 PM) View Post

is this game worth it just for live? i can get for $35 but i already got it on xbox. i really enjoy this series and i would love going against people on live. also i heard the graphics suck on a hdtv display. is this true?

The graphics on an HDTV display looks worlds better then on an SDTV, it's crisp clean and the high res textures shine. I didn't play much on live (and the times I did I was playing with friends) so I can't comment but I bought the 360 version over the Xbox 1 version because it supported 720p... BTW THPS4 - THUG2 all supported 720p on the Xbox1... so I wasn't about to get a downgrade in resolution.

QUOTE(m_hael @ Feb 27 2006, 01:20 AM) View Post

-I liked that you went back to real looking people as opposed to the cartoony look of THUG2, I couldn't stand THUG2 just for that reason... happy you went back
-I liked that you had both story mode and classic mode, And I like that classic mode was actual classic levels
-I like and have always liked the variety of tricks and super smooth controls (while skating/biking)
-I liked the addition of the bike levels
-I liked that you got away from a lot of the non-relevant challenges. in THUG2 there was a lot of go-kart riding, tomato throwing, etc. I loathed those missions, the controls were horrid and I wasn't skating, and it just wan't fun. A good rule of thumb is more time on your board = more fun. THAW had a good mix IMO, they were there on occasion but it just just enough to keep it interesting, big thumbs up from me there.

Dislikes/Would like to see
-I would like to see MORE of the bike stuff. Either a whole alternate story mode/ classic mode or the ability to play through the story/classic modes either Skating OR Biking. (or maybe the modes are very similar and it would encourage you to play through it twice, once skating, once biking to see the subtle differences).
-MORE story mode, it seems a lot of people here really like classic mode, I like both modes but classic mode was WAY too short. I'd love to see ALL PAST TH levels in a classic mode.
-More small levels, Big levels are cool, but some of my favorite levels are the smaller ones, like the Hanger or the Warehouse, it forces you to be more creative with your lines and re-use trick objects.
-Play story mode as a female/more customization of the female character model. My GF is somewhat a fan of the past tony hawk games, but she was completely put off by the fact that she couldn't play as a female in story mode, then in custom mode she was put off by the fact that she couldn't create a character that looked anything like her, yet the options were through enough for the male that I could create one that looked just like me. One thing that particularly put her off was that she couldn't create a female character with anything less then D cups.
-Less cheesy of a story mode. While I was somewhat entertained by the story mode in THAW, THPS4 and THUG1 had the best story modes. I like THUG1 where you moved yourself up the skating food chain, it really made you hate your skating arch nemesis. THPS4 was cool because of all the pro tricks you had to perform at the end, it got you familiar with the different pro-skaters real life accomplishments and differences in styles, something you didn't get from any of the other TH games. THAW was interesting but the story wasn't believable, and it just kind of cheesy B Teen movie. It would have been ok if it was actually funny but for the most part it wasn't.
-better customization of of your character, things like clothing. If I like cargo pants (and I do) I only have 1 choice, but I have 15 or so choice of jean styles. Also beards, it'd be cool if I could mix and match different portions. so I could choose my sideburns style, then choose the mustache style, then choose the chin style. Through mixing and matching these I could have a whole lot more combinations for how to wear my facial hair and thus more customization (this idea could be applied to other things as well)
-More routes in story mode. I think something like THUG1 but make your decisions determine where the story goes. Maybe there are 20 areas and you only visit 10 of them depending on your choices, maybe there are 8 different ways for the game to end but you only see 1 based on your choices. Maybe you see or don't see certain characters based on your choices. Maybe if you do a challenge and fail it will take you down a different path then if you succeed. Maybe you can choose what your character says and how they react to the other characters and that would change some outcomes. This would add a lot more depth to the story mode as well as a whole lot more replay value... look to games like Fable and Elder Scrolls for ideas on how story branching could happen.

-And of course, higher poly models  wink.gif

I could keep going

gcskate27

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »

its not that i dislike story mode, its just that the story isnt believeable at all, nor does anyone in it act at all like me or any other skater ive ever met... basically what i want is WAY more realism...

thaw went somewhere im glad and thats in the needing to learn new tricks to use them, however it was far too easy and pretty rediculous in places... ideally id like to see a game where you know nothing besides riding around and you must learn tricks in order to use them... however, the learning process should be a bit of a challenge: i think a side mode when you could learn moves say from an over head position with both sticks controling your feet would be good... ie, to ollie youd have to quickly push right on the right stick(or maybe just click the stick in to simulate a tap) with a little slower push left on the left stick to simulate the lead foot pushing the board up and forward... something allong those lines for at least the flip tricks would be awesome... learn the tricks in that mode and then youre able to use them as say bike or motorcycle riding in gta san andreas: the more you use them, the better you get, the more consistent youll be at pulling them...

at the very least put in a sim mode like previous thps', even though they werent at all realistic either (id put thps2 in sim mode and then drop pretty much all stats to zero to get closest to real)... the most someone can ollie, last ive heard, is danny wainwright at like 43", yet you ollie in the games and you have an 8' vertical... wallrun to backflip to 360 flip to manual to back foot impossible out, as you should well know, isnt at all possible... by anyone... ever...

id love hyper realism but above all else, dont pander to 12 year olds... beerchug.gif

m_hael

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

sadly its mostly 12yo's who buy the game.

yaazz

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Feb 27 2006, 05:11 PM) View Post
its not that i dislike story mode, its just that the story isnt believeable at all, nor does anyone in it act at all like me or any other skater ive ever met... basically what i want is WAY more realism...

thaw went somewhere im glad and thats in the needing to learn new tricks to use them, however it was far too easy and pretty rediculous in places... ideally id like to see a game where you know nothing besides riding around and you must learn tricks in order to use them... however, the learning process should be a bit of a challenge: i think a side mode when you could learn moves say from an over head position with both sticks controling your feet would be good... ie, to ollie youd have to quickly push right on the right stick(or maybe just click the stick in to simulate a tap) with a little slower push left on the left stick to simulate the lead foot pushing the board up and forward... something allong those lines for at least the flip tricks would be awesome... learn the tricks in that mode and then youre able to use them as say bike or motorcycle riding in gta san andreas: the more you use them, the better you get, the more consistent youll be at pulling them...

at the very least put in a sim mode like previous thps', even though they werent at all realistic either (id put thps2 in sim mode and then drop pretty much all stats to zero to get closest to real)... the most someone can ollie, last ive heard, is danny wainwright at like 43", yet you ollie in the games and you have an 8' vertical... wallrun to backflip to 360 flip to manual to back foot impossible out, as you should well know, isnt at all possible... by anyone... ever...

id love hyper realism but above all else, dont pander to 12 year olds... beerchug.gif

you should try thrasher: skate and destroy for PSX, it was a fun game, played a lot of it back in my skating days

gcskate27

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

oh i had thrasher, played it a lot and got into quite a bit of arguements with others as to which was a better skating game between it and thps... but they mostly ended in laughing at how bad street sk8er was...  biggrin.gif

jbp20717

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »

Something that should really be removed from the 360 version was the lenghtly saving procedure - considering you sign in every time you turn on the game couldn't an autosave feture be implemented?

...and we need more Neversoft Bails videos biggrin.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(jbp20717 @ Feb 28 2006, 11:37 AM) View Post

Something that should really be removed from the 360 version was the lenghtly saving procedure - considering you sign in every time you turn on the game couldn't an autosave feture be implemented?

...and we need more Neversoft Bails videos biggrin.gif

AGREED beerchug.gif

I would LOVE to see an Auto Save feature in the next version, also why should I have to tell the game to look for profiles on the hard drive EVERY TIME when the hard drive is the only storage device in the console...

Moving the restart controls a level up in the menus would be helpful to. If I'm trying for a gap or other challenge, over AND over AND over again I want the least number of button pushes possible to restart.

jbp20717

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »

OK, help needed.  I need two more gaps to complete the game - Tunnel Gap on Minneapolis and Step Off A Mezzanine on the Mall level.  I know how to pull off the second gap and with a bit of playing I should be able to pull it off, but the Tunnel Gap has really got me in a pickle blink.gif   I've been trying to clear the tunnel using the QP rather than the small kicker, as its given me better results so far, but I just can't get enough speed to clear it.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »

For the Tunnel Gap
You have the right idea using the QP instead of the kicker I couldn't get close to it with the kicker. I want to say I had to do something like a boned Ollie to make it through without touching anything, this one is just old fashioned HARD to do.  laugh.gif

For the Step Off A Mezzanine:
Again just old fashioned hard to do, it's hard unless you have full stats do a boned Ollie, also if you nick the rail at the bottom (where it becomes flat) it will still give you the gap. so aim to land on the railing

also when you do a boned olly be sure to HOLD the A button until after you land... I'm fairly sure you can land ok while still holding it.

jbp20717

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

Just completed biggrin.gif

The Mezzanine gap as I predicted wasn't that hard once I knew exactly what to do, as for the Tunnel Gap, I gave up on the QP and managed to do it off the kicker after a while, even though I seemed to pull it off a few times before it registered.

Now I'm one of only twelve people in the UK to have 100% completed the game smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

congrats beerchug.gif

last I checked there were less then 100 who'd 100%ed it in the whole world so you're in good company  smile.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
Thaw Gap Help
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(m_hael @ Feb 27 2006, 02:20 AM) View Post

if that still stands, i'll like to mention that i was glad to see the mall in THAW, it was one of my favorite levels on the N-Gage version of the game. overall the game seemed excellent and my only complaint was the camera controls. with the right stick it was easy enough to spin the camera left and right, but if you push up or down on the right stick, the camera doesn't really do much of anything so you can't see whats above you or below you (to see what the signs say when looking for landmarks or to line up with a QP down below etc.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3