xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Outfit Demo  (Read 2629 times)

Joergen

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

Not really next-gen and quite a blatant battlefield ripoff (which is one of my if not the favorite game of all time), but a pretty good game nonetheless.

When its lag-free (this is an inherent issue with Live itself read below) its great and can be very tactical when you learn to place artillery and mgs in the right defensive places etc, and when to order arty strikes and when a tank is actually worth buying (not to be wasted in 30 seconds).

But here's the problem with Live: no filters or priortising for continent-area gaming.

This means I cant immediately see where the host is from, if he's from overseas (usually USA) its no use joining the laggy POS game. Occationally I even see Japanese and Korean games. OMFG.

It's elementary online game design with FPS or fast-paced games where ping is important, that you DO NOT join servers overseas AND that clients from overseas do not join a server.

For some reason MS is completely ignoring this basic flaw and forces me to view the gamertag (slow) of every game to see if they're from Europe. Even still its no guarantee that the game is lag-free if one or more of the 8 players is from overseas.

For Mahjong and slow-ass games its fine to play overseas, but not with these types of games. A continental-filter should be mandatory or at least available.

If this doesnt change or if game makers dont implement country-identification for their server browsers Live will be one big lag fiesta.

The classic comment from somebody from the US joining a CS or BF (PC) server is "OMG LAG but I got Cable!!!!111oneone". When your ping is 160ms minimum and you add packetloss and flux you will NOT be able to play overseas properly (bar the exception).

And there IS one important flaw in the Outfit game engine itself aswell; virtual lack of predictions. So instead of predicting client-side motion and letting you run around smoothly, it stalls or goes into slow-motion mode. More advanced engines like Quake3 and Battlefield 42 (and up) have complicated predictions that do their best to prevent this (and do not succeed over a certain tolerance). This game seems to be Quake1 with no prediction whatsoever.

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2006, 08:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Mar 8 2006, 04:49 PM) View Post

When its lag-free (this is an inherent issue with Live itself read below) its great and can be very tactical when you learn to place artillery and mgs in the right defensive places etc, and when to order arty strikes and when a tank is actually worth buying (not to be wasted in 30 seconds).

But here's the problem with Live: no filters or priortising for continent-area gaming.

This means I cant immediately see where the host is from, if he's from overseas (usually USA) its no use joining the laggy POS game. Occationally I even see Japanese and Korean games. OMFG.

It's elementary online game design with FPS or fast-paced games where ping is important, that you DO NOT join servers overseas AND that clients from overseas do not join a server.

For some reason MS is completely ignoring this basic flaw and forces me to view the gamertag (slow) of every game to see if they're from Europe. Even still its no guarantee that the game is lag-free if one or more of the 8 players is from overseas.

For Mahjong and slow-ass games its fine to play overseas, but not with these types of games. A continental-filter should be mandatory or at least available.

If this doesnt change or if game makers dont implement country-identification for their server browsers Live will be one big lag fiesta.

The classic comment from somebody from the US joining a CS or BF (PC) server is "OMG LAG but I got Cable!!!!111oneone". When your ping is 160ms minimum and you add packetloss and flux you will NOT be able to play overseas properly (bar the exception).

And there IS one important flaw in the Outfit game engine itself aswell; virtual lack of predictions. So instead of predicting client-side motion and letting you run around smoothly, it stalls or goes into slow-motion mode. More advanced engines like Quake3 and Battlefield 42 (and up) have complicated predictions that do their best to prevent this (and do not succeed over a certain tolerance). This game seems to be Quake1 with no prediction whatsoever.

Yup i totally agree with you on this one. Even a basic latency indicator on the join game screen would go a long way towards finding a proper game to join and not
a) cause a lagfeast for yourself
cool.gif cause a lagfeast for everyone else and ruin their game cause you are gona drop out eventually.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »

feels like a marketplace game to me. something a 19.99 bargain bin download

VOlition

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »

I don't know, that game doesn't deserve the 19.99 dollar bin at all...

shodanjr_gr

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2006, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(jaskerzada006 @ Mar 8 2006, 05:57 PM) View Post

Are you actually trying to justify shitty renders by saying there are many shitty renders?

Have you even fucking bothered to look at the characters up close? If you consider them to be shitty renders, then you need to get your eyes checked...

And if gameplay is a factor for you at all, you will have to agree this is a shitty game not worthy of a "Next-Gen" label.  Worst than Full Auto.

OK, so you consider Full Auto, the 360 game with the most repetitive gameplay to be more fun than this...Yeah...and you call me the brainwashed monkey...

How much does M$ pay you?

Unfortunately nothing...if they did, i wouldnt be hard pressed for cash in order to get Graw

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

I finally got some connection issues sorted out and have about a dozen matches under my belt.  Now I can finally say with confidence... this game is bad.  Real bad.  Graphics aren't that great, sound is garbage and most of all, the gameplay is horribly akward.   I'm interested to see what the single player campaign was like, but I'm betting it's not much different than the MP.   Demo deleted.

KAGE360

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(jaskerzada006 @ Mar 8 2006, 10:57 AM) View Post

Are you actually trying to justify shitty renders by saying there are many shitty renders?

By your logic, GeoWars is graphically superior.

Come on, the physics are basic at best.  Nothing new.

And if gameplay is a factor for you at all, you will have to agree this is a shitty game not worthy of a "Next-Gen" label.  Worst than Full Auto.

How much does M$ pay you?

What's  that?
Your just another brainwashed monkey willing to accept whatever they throw at you?

QUOTE(jaskerzada006 @ Mar 8 2006, 01:59 PM) View Post

Well,

Looks like shodanjr_gr will be the only one picking this up.

Good luck on the multiplayer!!!

But hey, if you can't find anyone to play with, I guess you could get your moneys worth "looking at the characters up close."
 laugh.gif

not to take sides here because i wont be buying the game either, but your personal opinion and dislike for MS effect the debate.  the game doesnt look great but you can tell that the developers didnt work for the highest level of realism.  it is a fact that you seem to dismiss to easily that with all of the action going on, no current gen console would be able to run the game without some serious cut-backs.  also what does MS have anything to do with the game when they didnt develop, publish, or have any involvement with the game??  it seems like anyone who disagrees with you is being paid by MS (regardless of topic) and automatically brainwashed when you are the one who refuses to think outside the box.  

and for the record i dont think anyone will have problems finding people to play with when buying the game as there are plenty of people that have said they will buy and play the game.  it seems to be get good responses by those still playing the demo who like simple fun destruction.  im sure if the graphics were up to GoW calibur there would be far less naysayers because it looks "next gen".   point being is that its rather immiture and un-needed to single those out who dont agree with you.

Adam6

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

Well I downloaded it, only took about 20mins. I downloaded 200mb in around 5 mins and then it slowed down after that. Fast download!  cool.gif Im only on a 2meg connection.

Well I played it twice, and I have to say I thought it was going to be 10x better than it actually is! The graphics dont seem like they are from/on a 360, more like Xbox or PS2 graphics imo. The gameplay aint all that either.....

Im just glade I didnt buy it! I may have a few more goes later but I dont think its all that. COD2 all the way for war games!  love.gif

loserkid182

• Archived User
The Outfit Demo
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

Ewwww

It's horrible

You just drop dead, no sounds/death throes or anything just fall over.

I was expecting a lot more from all the "hype" etc

Who cares? It's GRAW day on Friday.

To quote my Dad
"You've taken a day off work to play a game??, that's stupid!"

bwahaha

'Ave it!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]